Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-13-10, 08:56 AM   #13
Holy Smoke

Default Re: 60Hz vs. 120Hz vs. 240Hz TVs

That's what I would think. There might be some ever so slightly noticable differences in terms of motion but, in practice, no. For as long as the input is limited to 60hz then any differences are always going to be artificially made as a post-process.

Keep in mind that LCDs don't actually refresh the entire image like CRTs used to; the individual crystals simply change state. The reason why 60hz was 'enough' for so long was because they don't flicker like CRTs. If it weren't for 24fps films then all these 120hz sets without a 120hz input would basically have been pointless, and I think the main reason that manufacturers implement these frame interpolation technologies is to justify that.

Some people do claim that 120hz can reduce motion blur on a 60hz source but I can't say I've noticed it myself. I would imagine it's just the frame interpolation at work.
Old 03-14-10, 09:42 PM   #14
Lyme

People like to buy things with more and bigger numbers associated with them, even if they have no idea what it means.

A Hz is unit of frequency, 1Hz being equivalent to 1 interval a second. 2Hz being 2 intervals per second. You can equate this to the maximum number of changes to an image in a second ie: your frame rate cannot physically exceed the refresh rate. Any frames higher than the refresh rate are effectively dropped, and you never see them.

In general more Hz are better, but it isn't cut and dry. Smaller viewing areas require more Hz to look fluid than larger viewing areas, the same goes for being closer to a viewing area than further away. The limiting factor is.. you.

A human can only detect a limited upper boundary of motion (the average is somewhere around 60hz). That being said, the larger the viewing area, the more data for us to process at once, means that it takes more time for us to recognize what is going on. In those cases (such as movie theaters) 24hz is fine. At home sitting in front of a computer playing a video game on a 19" screen, is less area to take in and requires more hz (typically 60). TVs being in the middle ground, should only require something between the two.

To add to the mess, standard hdtv resolutions don't support more than 60hz. TVs running at higher than 60hz are either displaying a frame more than once, or fiddling with the frames. Note that most movies are not recorded onto disc at 60fps, check the back of your dvds for the format, you can look it up online. Most are at 24hz and upscaled.

Then comes 3d. The basic rule is that if at 60hz is fine for 2d, then you need to double it for 3d.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 11:23 AM   #15
JaylumX
Something Else

240hz explained

Linkage

i5 760 @ 4.0 | P7P55D-E | 8GB DDR3 | 60 & 120GB SSD - 1TB SATA 2 | HD 7950 @ 1200/6300 | HDAV 1.3 | HD598

Xbox 360 120GB | PS3 40GB | Wii 8GB | Sony KDL-32EX723BU
JaylumX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 11:31 AM   #16
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylumX View Post
240hz explained

Linkage
Err, that's 120Hz.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 09:40 AM   #17
turdhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Err, that's 120Hz.
Whatever you do make sure the tv has a game mode or something like that. All that 120hz-240hz crap adds frames and also adds input lag. If you played classic super mario brother on a newer set with these smoothing features on you will notice the moment you press jump that mario seems to jump just a hair later. You do not want this.

All lcd's have this to some extent but with a game mode all that crap is turned off so that it acts more like a pc monitor and kills that lag below a perceivable level. I learned the hard way when I had to cart a 55" back to the store because of terrible input lag no matter the mode and it was an lg.

I have a Toshiba 55' lcd that I used for my main comp screen. It has two low lag modes. Game and pc. Pc uses a minor amount of smoothing and the lag is not perceivable at all. It makes console games running locked at 30 fps look more like 45 or so. Love it. It is an year and a half old now and perfect.

The model is a zv-650u. Their newer models might be worth looking in too.

That smoothness crap is way less obvious on the Toshiba sets and much more subtle to maintain a film appearance. I dont know about you but seeing the 120-240 smoothing on other sets makes everything look like the evening news. It is great for space or nature blu-rays but not movies. Makes them look so cheap. 3d...... I would wait. It has failed everytime in the home. When polarized screens become the norm and we only have to wear those simple polarized sunglasses for 3d then its on. I fear it will fail again so if I were you I would wait it out.

There will be sets that require no glasses. They will have depth to their images but I do not think it possible to have things coming at you and jumping out of the screen with this tech. The nintendo 3ds is going to use such a screen.
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 05:27 PM   #18
betterdan

I beg to differ Turdhat. Our Samsung 55" LCD does have a game mode but we have found there is no input lag when in regular non game mode. Well there may be some but it is really unnoticeable to me and my son.
I tried using game mode to see the difference and the only difference we could see was it was way more jaggy looking on the XBOX 360.

Now I don't use the Auto Motion Plus option which interpolates frames to smooth out the picture as I hate the soap opera look it gives. Turning that on would, I imagine, create some input lag, but like I said, having that off gives us no need to turn on game mode.

The 120hz feature itself doesn't cause the smoothing soap opera (or evening news look) it's the smoothing options on the tv. Samsung calls theirs AMP (Auto Motion Plus) and other companies call it something different. My tv always runs at 120hz but then you can turn on that AMP mode and even adjust the smoothing and juddering removal settings if you like. I just like to turn it off completely.
I would advise getting a tv where you can turn that smoothing garbage off when watching films. No way in hell I'd buy a tv with that smoothing crap on all the time. It ruins the picture.
A game mode would also be advisable but not always needed.