Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-24-10, 11:39 AM   #37
ViN86

Default Re: EA To Charge For Game "Demos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDio View Post
You do know that this is why they have closed and open beta phases in their games... right?

This is really f*cked up. Say they do this for a stealth game (or a tactical one) and the majority of people that bought it are action fans that want the next big MW2 game. What will happen? The game will change a lot, so that those gamers will like it. Every game will be the same with the other and companies won't care, as long as they make more money. Because... hey... it's business (whatever happened to the slogans like: "Made by gamers for gamers" ?)

Actually, this is already happening without this "system". Take Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon for example. No thank you!
I really think the majority of you are projecting your fears onto this. It sounds more like a test bed to me. This idea offers a way for them to make money on concept games. Then if the game sells well, they release a full game for full price. If the game doesn't do well, then they scrap it.

I doubt they will be doing this with mainstream (i.e. "big name", like COD) games. This will probably be used for games like Portal and those type of games, which are concepts, but they really don't know how well they will perform in the market.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 12:05 PM   #38
Destroy

Default Re: EA To Charge For Game "Demos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
paying to beta test..how novel!
That pretty much what I feel it will end up being.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote