Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-24-10, 05:38 PM   #109
lee63
Classified

Default Re: I have seen the future....

I have a gut feeling this is going to be a frustrating launch and a lot of people are gonna get pissed off....I hope I'm wrong.
Old 03-24-10, 05:41 PM   #110
Razor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
I'm talking about the physics calculations alone,not entire programs here,and i'll look to see if there's any benchmark results comparing the Ageia card versus an Nvidia GPU on physics workloads exclusively.
Its not a sole problem of the application, its parallism in any instance, hyperthreading was made to curtail that issue but its not an ideal solution by any means, we have had hyperthreading since the P4 days, and any good programmer knows its better to run programs on two CPU's then use hyperthreading, its like 2 SIMD's in a GPU, actually I kinda made a mistake with GPU, it can do hundreds of threads but each SIMD work on individual tasks, so its not in the hundreds of difference its more like x5or 6 times the difference possibly, unless since unification things have change where within the same SIMD different work can be done. Thats the reason why GPU's are better for parallel tasks, they were made to handle it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_computing

Quote:
Optimally, the speed-up from parallelization would be linear—doubling the number of processing elements should halve the runtime, and doubling it a second time should again halve the runtime. However, very few parallel algorithms achieve optimal speed-up. Most of them have a near-linear speed-up for small numbers of processing elements, which flattens out into a constant value for large numbers of processing elements.

Quote:
As for DX11 games,there's Dirt 2,aliens versus predator,battleforge,battlefield bad company 2 and a couple of others,but like i stated before,the main reason i bought them is for the triple display support in games,for where there are already close to 30 games in the supported list,it doesn't require developer support,and the cards have only been out 6 months on the market,compared to 2 years for GPU physX.

You were saying?...
So thats good right you had a reason to buy it, and 4 games is still less then the amount of games with PhysX. Just like nV's 3d vision, people bought thier cards for a reason.
Razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 05:48 PM   #111
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
I have a gut feeling this is going to be a frustrating launch and a lot of people are gonna get pissed off....I hope I'm wrong.
Shiiiit, I knew that by xmas
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 05:49 PM   #112
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
So thats good right you had a reason to buy it, and 4 games is still less then the amount of games with PhysX. Just like nV's 3d vision, people bought thier cards for a reason.
Please don't listen to him - the whole dx11 debacle isn't comparable to physx. 3DVision is also a whole separate thing as is eyefinity.
Old 03-24-10, 05:51 PM   #113
Revs

I don't know why he can't just be happy with his cards and let be.
Old 03-24-10, 05:53 PM   #114
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Isn't that always the case when a new generation of cards are launched? I thinks it's part of the fun! It's like the ManU vs barcelona of the tech world.
Old 03-24-10, 05:54 PM   #115
Revs

Very true
Old 03-24-10, 06:08 PM   #116
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1 View Post

DX11 has only been out a few months,and up until now,only 1 GPU maker had DX11 cards on the market,and DX11 is a unified standard,controled by none other than microsoft,so they have the final say if you want to play games on the windows platform,not anyone else.

Unified standards always get more support and a faster rate of adoption than proprietary standards ever will basically,no matter how much Nvidia complains about it,since it doesn't make their hardware any more special than that of competitors in the end,and they don't like that,if nothing else from a marketing standpoint.

It's also why ATI decided to support Eyefinity,since it has nothing to do with direct X,and doesn't even require any special attention from developers at all,both in current games already released,or any future game releases either,so it bypasses all the issues that Nvidia is facing by trying to push PhysX as much as it can,and enhances overall gameplay,like the examples i mentioned with battlefield bad company 2 and making me a better player...
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-10, 06:11 PM   #117
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
I don't know why he can't just be happy with his cards and let be.

I am extremely happy with my cards btw,and the leaked numbers shown so far aren't that impressive,which makes me wonder why some waited 6 months for this?....Just my 0.02 cents.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 06:15 PM   #118
Rollo

Quote:
I am extremely happy with my cards btw,and the leaked numbers shown so far aren't that impressive,which makes me wonder why some waited 6 months for this?....Just my 0.02 cents.
They don't work for ATi like you, so they think being able to see all the options available is a good thing rather than a possible layoff.......

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 06:17 PM   #119
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Because some people don't own crystal balls? Besides there weren't really that many games that needed the performance of the 58/970-series when they were launched so many chose to stay with their previous-gen cards and see what the other camp had to offer before making a decision.
Old 03-24-10, 06:20 PM   #120
Revs