Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-10, 11:15 AM   #1
turdhat

Default Man, it is sooo hot.

Hearing warnings about not touching the exposed heatpipes etc are really bugging me. This thing is bound to raise case temps by a fair amount unless you have a damn wind tunnel (which I do). I am for sure going to bag a 480 once some of the dust settles.

Glad I have my pc in the room directly behind my home theater setup. I dont have to hear it that way so I will crank that fan and have plenty of high rpm fans running in the case as well. Just ran all my cables via a small conduit I made right to my entertainment center. The only pc components that are in the room with me are the receiver for the mouse and key board and the outboard dvd drive.

Maybe we should consider a little fire safety training before we jump on these cards !

Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 11:53 AM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdhat View Post
Hearing warnings about not touching the exposed heatpipes etc are really bugging me. This thing is bound to raise case temps by a fair amount unless you have a damn wind tunnel (which I do). I am for sure going to bag a 480 once some of the dust settles.

Glad I have my pc in the room directly behind my home theater setup. I dont have to hear it that way so I will crank that fan and have plenty of high rpm fans running in the case as well. Just ran all my cables via a small conduit I made right to my entertainment center. The only pc components that are in the room with me are the receiver for the mouse and key board and the outboard dvd drive.

Maybe we should consider a little fire safety training before we jump on these cards !

Old 03-27-10, 12:15 PM   #3
MikeC
Administrator

I would recommend a high-quality 120mm fan pointing directly at the heatpipes with the side of the case opened. I was able to lower the GPU temp by 11 Celsius under load.

I haven't tried the 480 GTX in a closed case and I believe that extraordinary measures will need to be taken to keep the GPU cool in that situation.

I would really like to see MSI offer a "Twin Frozr" model.

In this type of configuration, an EVGA GeForce 260 216 Superclocked ran at 91 C under load, while the MSI NX260GTX OC ran at 77 C - with the fan speed forced at 40%.

For those looking to purchasing a high-quality 120mm fan, you can check out this roundup at MadShrimps. They compared 35 models.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=892

Just trying to come up with effective cooling solutions for those interested in moving to a 480 GTX...
MikeC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:20 PM   #4
lee63
Classified

Yeah... I think I will be looking at some kind of aftermarket cooling for these 480s.
Old 03-27-10, 12:21 PM   #5
Slytat

Sounds like you will really need LC for these in any realistic usage situation tbh.

The HardOCP test showed it hitting 95c very quickly and it wasn't even in a case.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:24 PM   #6
methimpikehoses

Looks like fermi's not for me.
Old 03-27-10, 12:31 PM   #7
MikeC
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Yeah... I think I will be looking at some kind of aftermarket cooling for these 480s.
I respect people that try to come up with solutions in a challenging situation. In my opinion, more of this type of thinking is needed instead of the constant bashing that we continue to see (about the 480 GTX or any other product).

Keep us posted on what you're considering. Even if you decide to forego an upgrade, that's OK. At least you're thinking things through before admitting to defeat
Old 03-27-10, 12:34 PM   #8
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I respect people that try to come up with solutions in a challenging situation. In my opinion, more of this type of thinking is needed instead of the constant bashing that we continue to see (about the 480 GTX or any other product).

Please keep us posted on what you are considering. Even if you decide to forego an upgrade, that's OK. At least your thinking things through before admitting to defeat
Do you see the rear of the card becoming got too? Do you think a shroud with a heat-sink extending over the back (increasing surface area) would work?

I know it would kill tri-sli or whatever, but just looking @ it from a cooling standpoint.

Also, any options of a fully unlocked 480GTX (without one module disabled)

That would be an awesome review update my good man

Hope you're feeling better and really looking forward to the next masterpiece.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-10, 12:35 PM   #9
Yaboze

I have an Antec 900 with a 120MM Antec LED fan in the window side panel right by my 285. The fan is set to drawn air in onto the card. Anyway, I hope that is enough to cool a 480 but I am going to wait a bit.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:44 PM   #10
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Do you see the rear of the card becoming got too? Do you think a shroud with a heat-sink extending over the back (increasing surface area) would work?

I know it would kill tri-sli or whatever, but just looking @ it from a cooling standpoint.

Also, any options of a fully unlocked 480GTX (without one module disabled)

That would be an awesome review update my good man

Hope you're feeling better and really looking forward to the next masterpiece.
LOL. I wish I were a masterpiece kind of guy, but I do appreciate the comment and I am slowy getting better

I would think that extending the heat-sink over the back would help in cooling the GPU, but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Another thest that I conducted was to take a second 120mm fan and point it directly at the back of the graphics card. Unfortunatly, it didn't lower the GPU temp at all
Old 03-27-10, 12:52 PM   #11
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I haven't tried the 480 GTX in a closed case and I believe that extraordinary measures will need to be taken to keep the GPU cool in that situation.
Extraordinary measures? wow

Anyone run these things watercooled yet? Seems it's the only way.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:56 PM   #12
Airbrushkid

I think water cooled is the way to go. If I mange to be able to get one this year I will go water cooled.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote