Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-10, 03:56 PM   #25
lee63
Classified
 
lee63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Murrieta, U.S./Taunton, U.K.
Posts: 4,263
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

I'm wondering if a back plate like the 5870s would reduce temps a little...I couldn't cut a hole in my window, i'd f**k it up lol
__________________
lee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 04:01 PM   #26
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
I'm wondering if a back plate like the 5870s would reduce temps a little...I couldn't cut a hole in my window, i'd f**k it up lol
What kind of case do you have? If it's a popular one, then Performance PCs may have a spare side panel with some fan ducts cut in.

I don't think a backplate will help GPU temps any. Those are to cool the memory chips and don't contact the GPU at all.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 04:08 PM   #27
Drolfrawd
Registered User
 
Drolfrawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,787
Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

How about a couple of blocks made of some sort of composite materials, with the centre filled with liquid nitrogen, They could then be clipped to the gpu's. I say a composite material as metal would probably frost up. Seems a good solution , but i don't have the technical skills to create such a device.
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 04:12 PM   #28
lee63
Classified
 
lee63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Murrieta, U.S./Taunton, U.K.
Posts: 4,263
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
What kind of case do you have? If it's a popular one, then Performance PCs may have a spare side panel with some fan ducts cut in.

I don't think a backplate will help GPU temps any. Those are to cool the memory chips and don't contact the GPU at all.
Yeah... I have the TJ07 but I have the smoke black glass look.

Also I'm a little pissed off with PPC's at the moment.....don't really want to deal with them again.
__________________
lee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 04:32 PM   #29
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

I don't even have a window in my case. =\

I bet that ATI is going to release a refresh next month that will catch up easily to the GTX480, it's performance isn't that far ahead.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 04:56 PM   #30
lee63
Classified
 
lee63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Murrieta, U.S./Taunton, U.K.
Posts: 4,263
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Another thing....I don't think the resale value will be that good. I have some deep thinking to do over the next couple of weeks.

So far I have only pre ordered one at Evga.
__________________
lee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 05:12 PM   #31
newparad1gm
Registered User
 
newparad1gm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 693
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Yeah, I would really like to see real world results from people running stock GTX 480s in SLI in closed cases before diving into such a setup. My GTX 280s run at 46/36 idle and rarely go above 80 under load. But unfortunately my ASUS P6T mobo forces the two cards right up against each other, and that worries me for keeping GTX 480s cool.
__________________
WAR MACHINE:
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 05:12 PM   #32
wollyka
From the Land of Cedars
 
wollyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Beirut-Lebanon
Posts: 449
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
could you try that? I really would like to know how it runs.
i second that.. it will be interesting to see...
i have a Kandalf case with a 25cm low RPM side fan .. don't know if it helps in case i got a 480.
__________________
System:
-Intel Core i7 2600 @4.2 Ghz
-ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
-G.SKILL SNIPER SERIES / 1600MHz
-evga Geforce 680GTX
-X-fi Fat1ality FPS
-Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W PSU
-LG LED E2380
wollyka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-10, 05:14 PM   #33
Saytan
Registered User
 
Saytan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Ive heard a rumour that these cards run at 90c when in dual monitor mode but i cant find anything about this. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: Nevermind found it.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1258/15/
Saytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 05:17 PM   #34
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!
 
kaptkarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 406
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Trying to be optimistic here guys, but it's very hard. let's be realistic here.....paying top doller for a high performance card.....then having to leave off your case side for fear of overheating your system....or frying the card in the long run. How long can they last at those temps?? Need a lifetime warranty!! Nothing less. Also why should the end consumer have to pay for additional cooling solutions to get these cards to perform and last a reasonable amount of time??

Again not trying to be negative here guys, just realistic. I guess only time will tell if these cards can function at those high temps for extended periods. Otherwise Nvidia could have some major issues if they start failing in the future.

Kapt
__________________
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom ll X4 965 BE OC'd @ 3.6GHz
Vendetta cooler 120mm fan
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 05:22 PM   #35
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newparad1gm View Post
Yeah, I would really like to see real world results from people running stock GTX 480s in SLI in closed cases before diving into such a setup. My GTX 280s run at 46/36 idle and rarely go above 80 under load. But unfortunately my ASUS P6T mobo forces the two cards right up against each other, and that worries me for keeping GTX 480s cool.
Yeah my 260s are kissing in my system... SLi GTX480s would probably kill my rig.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 05:28 PM   #36
lee63
Classified
 
lee63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Murrieta, U.S./Taunton, U.K.
Posts: 4,263
Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptkarl View Post
Trying to be optimistic here guys, but it's very hard. let's be realistic here.....paying top doller for a high performance card.....then having to leave off your case side for fear of overheating your system....or frying the card in the long run. How long can they last at those temps?? Need a lifetime warranty!! Nothing less. Also why should the end consumer have to pay for additional cooling solutions to get these cards to perform and last a reasonable amount of time??

Again not trying to be negative here guys, just realistic. I guess only time will tell if these cards can function at those high temps for extended periods. Otherwise Nvidia could have some major issues if they start failing in the future.

Kapt
Thats why I would only buy Evga...with Jacob as a backup.....its starting to get hot here in CA
__________________
lee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.