Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-10, 05:32 PM   #37
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

I've been thinking about the heat question and the total amount of heat output on this card just seems to be higher than the other cards in question, given the size of the beast.

As such, temperatures themselves are only part of the equation. Given the nature of the cooling solution, this card is just a hotter beast than anything before hand.

I was reading through the Legit Reviews benches and a couple of others and one of them mentioned Nvidia stated the card was good through 105C, which is well and good. But how will the card perform in terms of longevity, given that many reviewers are getting pretty close to 100C right now.

Was the additional module turned off not only for yield purposes but also because of temperature concerns?

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 05:37 PM   #38
lee63
Classified

I bet company's are scrambling to come up with good aftermarket coolers for theses cards, they should sell well

The heat doesn't bother me as much as the noise.
Old 03-27-10, 05:44 PM   #39
|MaguS|

Needs to just push more air through it, I don't care too much about how loud it could get since my case is pretty good with keeping the sound down and I have my speakers up when I game but Im just worried about how much these cards would raise my total systems temps.
Old 03-27-10, 05:47 PM   #40
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Needs to just push more air through it, I don't care too much about how loud it could get since my case is pretty good with keeping the sound down and I have my speakers up when I game but Im just worried about how much these cards would raise my total systems temps.
Heatpipes that are described as 'dangerous' to touch are going to be throwing an awful lot of hot air into the case and this is going to get exponentially worse with each additional card.

I'll be interested to see what people come up with outside of liquid.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 06:03 PM   #41
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
Heatpipes that are described as 'dangerous' to touch are going to be throwing an awful lot of hot air into the case and this is going to get exponentially worse with each additional card.

I'll be interested to see what people come up with outside of liquid.
Well you make the exhaust through the back of your case, not into it.
Old 03-27-10, 06:08 PM   #42
Slytat

Quote:
The design leaves a lot to be desired and most of the testing sites use 'open' PCs.

When these cards start to ship, then we'll get a real idea of the heat in RW situations.

TBH, I see a LOT of complaining in Nvidia's future.

I still think these cards are great for those who are willing to invest all the extra money for LC etc but I'm not interested in those options.

I just want cards I can use out of the box (with some extra air cooling if necessary) but not $200.00+ of additional equipment.
Old 03-27-10, 06:08 PM   #43
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Am I really the only one not worried about the temps?

Since my BFG 280s never downclocked proberly, idle temps will be 15-18C better with the 480s
It's not the idle temps that would concern me if I were an air-cooled user. It's the fact that reviewers are testing the card open case, and it's routinely running within 10-12c of the max temperature threshold.

That's not good long-term for the card. I see a lot of RMAs in the future from guys who toss these in a case without really thinking about airflow.

But to be honest, if I didn't have my 5970s then I'd be tempted to pick up two 480s and watercool them. I like their performance; I just don't like what power hogs they are.

There's a positive about 480 that hasn't really been talked about much, though, and it's that 1.5GB frame buffer. That will come in useful in the near future and already does for those who mod textures in their games.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 06:16 PM   #44
onmikesline

what if you build a pc in a Mini Fridge, it will keep it really cool lol, i might try it one day

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=2&item=439296
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-10, 08:13 PM   #45
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
What kind of case do you have? If it's a popular one, then Performance PCs may have a spare side panel with some fan ducts cut in.

I don't think a backplate will help GPU temps any. Those are to cool the memory chips and don't contact the GPU at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Yeah... I have the TJ07 but I have the smoke black glass look.

Also I'm a little pissed off with PPC's at the moment.....don't really want to deal with them again.

Heh, that's the last thing you want to get from them. Trust me on that. They use double sided tape to hold the window in place and expect it to stick.

@Lee: After the hassle with my case I won't even link to them even if they are the only ones that have the item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
It's not the idle temps that would concern me if I were an air-cooled user. It's the fact that reviewers are testing the card open case, and it's routinely running within 10-12c of the max temperature threshold.

That's not good long-term for the card. I see a lot of RMAs in the future from guys who toss these in a case without really thinking about airflow.

But to be honest, if I didn't have my 5970s then I'd be tempted to pick up two 480s and watercool them. I like their performance; I just don't like what power hogs they are.

There's a positive about 480 that hasn't really been talked about much, though, and it's that 1.5GB frame buffer. That will come in useful in the near future and already does for those who mod textures in their games.
That actually brings up another good point. Let's say you have a pair of them in SLI and they do make it to the threshold. I wonder if they will start throttling themselves to keep the heat down. If they do then you're not gaining any performance.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 08:34 PM   #46
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
There is still going to be a lot of ambient heat because the card itself is, literally, burning up.

The heatpipes are not enclosed therefore they are dumping heat into the case as well.

Yes the air will be exhausted but anyone with a closed case is likely going to see a nice pocket of heat where the cards reside simply because of physics.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 08:44 PM   #47
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
There is still going to be a lot of ambient heat because the card itself is, literally, burning up.

The heatpipes are not enclosed therefore they are dumping heat into the case as well.

Yes the air will be exhausted but anyone with a closed case is likely going to see a nice pocket of heat where the cards reside simply because of physics.
This is the reason I'm glad I got a 5870. I'm running FurMark right now to stress the card to the max, and it went from idle at 51C to Max at 86C. As soon as it hit 86C, the fan kicked up to about 37%, and the card gets cooled back down about 3 C. Then the fan slowed down, and the card heated back up.

FurMark is the ONLY program that I can get the fan to kick up to the point that it's audible. Even then, if I were to push the fan to 100%, the card would cool down into the low 60's C.

What Nvidia is asking the consumer to do in terms of heat dissipation is flat out ridiculous. The first person that doesn't have proper cooling in their clunker case for this card is going to fry their entire computer. This is not a good situation for Nvidia. They're so desperate to salvage some money out of this that they're putting people's computers at risk.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 09:43 PM   #48
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
This is the reason I'm glad I got a 5870. I'm running FurMark right now to stress the card to the max, and it went from idle at 51C to Max at 86C. As soon as it hit 86C, the fan kicked up to about 37%, and the card gets cooled back down about 3 C. Then the fan slowed down, and the card heated back up.

FurMark is the ONLY program that I can get the fan to kick up to the point that it's audible. Even then, if I were to push the fan to 100%, the card would cool down into the low 60's C.

What Nvidia is asking the consumer to do in terms of heat dissipation is flat out ridiculous. The first person that doesn't have proper cooling in their clunker case for this card is going to fry their entire computer. This is not a good situation for Nvidia. They're so desperate to salvage some money out of this that they're putting people's computers at risk.
I have to agree with you here and I'll reiterate that the testing that tech sites are doing is not exposing the flaws in this design that many end users are going to fall victim to in the weeks to come.