Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-10, 09:51 PM   #49
onmikesline

Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

yeah im so happy i went with the 5870, even Though i love nvidia and all but i think ati has there penuts lined up right when it comes to price/heat/power, yeah it dont have a new extra things that nvidia has nut who really cares?
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 09:51 PM   #50
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
I have to agree with you here and I'll reiterate that the testing that tech sites are doing is not exposing the flaws in this design that many end users are going to fall victim to in the weeks to come.
There should be a new requirement put on the outside of the box. Below the power supply they should have a minimum fan configuration required to run the card.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 09:57 PM   #51
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmikesline View Post
yeah im so happy i went with the 5870, even Though i love nvidia and all but i think ati has there penuts lined up right when it comes to price/heat/power, yeah it dont have a new extra things that nvidia has nut who really cares?
I'll miss nHancer but them's the breaks. I'll use one of my 280s for PhysX.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 11:15 PM   #52
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
This is the reason I'm glad I got a 5870. I'm running FurMark right now to stress the card to the max, and it went from idle at 51C to Max at 86C. As soon as it hit 86C, the fan kicked up to about 37%, and the card gets cooled back down about 3 C. Then the fan slowed down, and the card heated back up.

FurMark is the ONLY program that I can get the fan to kick up to the point that it's audible. Even then, if I were to push the fan to 100%, the card would cool down into the low 60's C.

What Nvidia is asking the consumer to do in terms of heat dissipation is flat out ridiculous. The first person that doesn't have proper cooling in their clunker case for this card is going to fry their entire computer. This is not a good situation for Nvidia. They're so desperate to salvage some money out of this that they're putting people's computers at risk.
I agree with your assement.

I was disappointed when I first installed the 480 GTX in my system for testing. I had a hunch that it would not be able to match the 5870's efficient cooling system.

The tables have turned and NVIDIA desperately needs to spend more on R&D or make agreements with other companies in designing a high-efficiency and effective cooling system. It will cost them, but the days of drowning out fan noise by using headphones are over.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 11:28 PM   #53
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Yeah, there's no way I'm putting one of these in my Antec P180B oven. My 8800GTX HATED this case, and I see the 480 having similar problems, except much worse.

I would buy one if it had somewhat similar power and heat characteristics to the 5870, even if there is only a moderate performance increase for $100 more.

Noise, heat and power consumption may not be something I'm terribly concerned about, but the GF100 is just taking it too far IMO.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 01:52 AM   #54
Muppet

I think some of you are over reacting a bit. When you compare it to the last couple of generations there isn't that much difference. Take a look at these.

It is hot, that is true and there is no denying it. But it isn't that much more than the 4870x2 and others.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 02:17 AM   #55
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Absolutely agreed. I was trying to point out that yesterday: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=26

And computerbase.de even used the Corsair Obsidian 800D - a really bad air cooling case!
Although they don't mention if they had the side panel on or not.
Nah, there is no overreacting. If you watch that HardOCP video, there is really no comparison with any other card I have seen (and I've owned a few).

The 480 was up to 95c in about 20 seconds and I cannot stress this enough, it was not in a case.

I'm happy you guys are going to buy them and I hope they work out for you but this point cannot be played down I'm afraid.

They are certainly not the disaster that some people predicted but heat is a big issue and the single reason that I won't be buying Nvidia this time round (and I really wanted to).

With after market cooling or LC, maybe things will work out but as I mentioned before, when these things get into consumers hands, there are going to be problems.

Maybe not for you guys who actually have a clue what you are doing but with 1 running so hot, I can only imagine what kind of heat 2 or more are going to produce (in a RW environment).

I hope the 32nm refresh isn't far off and more efficient as I prefer Nvidia at the end of the day.
Old 03-28-10, 02:21 AM   #56
Ywap

I think its safe to say that this card isnt for ordinary users with ordinary cases. This is a watercooling mans card, the rest of us has to wait for something cooler.

Old 03-28-10, 02:22 AM   #57
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ywap View Post
This is a watercooling mans card, the rest of us has to wait for something cooler.
/QFT

Apparently the 480 died at 2:15 of this video, unfortunately I don't sprechen, so maybe Slawter will be kind enough to tell us what is going on

http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos...IMG0028302.gif

Not sounding good at all.
Old 03-28-10, 02:46 AM   #58
Ninja Prime

Something I didn't notice until reading a review at Tom's:
Quote:
Most unique, perhaps, is that the surface of the card is actually part of the heatsink, above the fin array. Normally, this would be a part of the card you could grab onto when pulling it out of a system. But when I burnt my hand on it, I thought a temperature reading would be interesting. Turns out that, during normal game play (running Crysis, not something like FurMark), the exposed metal exceeds 71 degrees C (or about 160 degrees F). This will have some ramifications for running two cards in SLI, but well get into that shortly.
How's that gonna work for SLI? Thats 71 degrees against the back of the other card...? Maybe get a mobo with large spacing, or a 3-4 slot mobo and put 2 cards in it? I see now why they were talking about Fermi-certified cases a while back.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 02:48 AM   #59
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Something I didn't notice until reading a review at Tom's:

How's that gonna work for SLI? Thats 71 degrees against the back of the other card...? Maybe get a mobo with large spacing, or a 3-4 slot mobo and put 2 cards in it? I see now why they were talking about Fermi-certified cases a while back.
3 PCIex slots (or more) are a must for SLI so you can have the space in between. I wouldn't want 2 of these sandwiched together.

Oh dear

http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos...IMG0028302.gif

Image seems to have stopped working but it was showing the 480 @ 106c and the 480 SLI at 110c.

Now, to be fair, their overall temps are high, but this will be the problem when 480s end up in badly ventilated cases/warm rooms.
Old 03-28-10, 03:52 AM   #60
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Nah at 2:15+ he's setting the fan speed to 86% in MSI Afterburner. According to them, that's the fan speed the card reached in Furmark when they were testing.

Maybe the word Afterburner indicated a failing card for non German speaking folks

Shortly afterwards they showed a second card, which was DOA. That card nearly messed up their review schedule
Ahh, thanks mate