Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-10, 11:37 AM   #37
Sectus

Default Re: Kotaku Gamer Census: 79% of Readers Pirate PC Games

I think one thing to consider is that the same poll also shows a very high piracy rate for consoles. And yet, console games sell like crazy.

I think the biggest reason why many games don't sell as well on PC, is because publishers misunderstand the PC market and it's quite simply a smaller market. Some games sell really well, but many others don't.

I dunno how much piracy affects game sales, and I got a feeling that will be very hard to determine. I don't think this poll really says anything.
Sectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:22 PM   #38
Logical

If developers cannot be bothered to have online activation EVERY time the player wants to play the game then they are pissing on there own bonfires. It is easily resolved at a small cost ot the developer that if done right will effectivly make them a lot more money and end piracy within PC games forever.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 01:34 PM   #39
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

best solution would MMO stype experience.

where when you buy a game 95% of game code is on cd/dvd and rest is dynamically downloaded to encrypted part of ram, never touching the hdd.

after a year, they could release a patch to turn it off.
Old 03-27-10, 01:39 PM   #40
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
Steam only, no gift option or country locked, prices based on country's economy, always online protection, problem solved

There would be a lot of whining at the beginning I guess, but they would get used to it.
that might work, game would be kept encrypted on the hdd, game EXE would not do the decrypting but steam would handle that, files would be only unencrypted when they are actually needed only held up in ram and discarded as soon as not needed anymore.

they should do test run of something like that, hl2 ep3 only sold on steam, no retail
Old 03-27-10, 01:47 PM   #41
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Can we NOW admit it is a serious f'ing problem that is impacting sales to a great degree?

Please?

I mean, 79% of people on a console news site have pirated PC games!

http://kotaku.com/5500495/kotaku-cen...esults-in-full
Haha yeah good point. I bet some fanboys even vote because they hating PC.

Edit after 5min of reading this

Ohhh SNAP this is totaly lame!
Old 03-27-10, 03:02 PM   #42
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
If developers cannot be bothered to have online activation EVERY time the player wants to play the game then they are pissing on there own bonfires. It is easily resolved at a small cost ot the developer that if done right will effectivly make them a lot more money and end piracy within PC games forever.
What if you game on the go? If you were required to have online activation each time the game was ran, you would be screwed if you were traveling somewhere. I've been in hotels where they don't have free wi-fi so you can't really say "What hotel/condo/whatever doesn't have wi-fi or Internet access these days?"

Is there anything you can do to stop piracy? No, not really.

The way I see it is that PC AND console games will always be pirated in some form or fashion. The only way game devs can stop this is to quit making video games period. But we know that won't happen. Maybe one day devs will refuse to make a PC version due to piracy and to the fact that they aren't making millions of dollars. But that would be stupid because console piracy is happening and will be more of a problem if this happens. If there are no PC games to pirate, then the next best thing is console games. Jusssayin.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 04:05 PM   #43
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectus View Post
I think one thing to consider is that the same poll also shows a very high piracy rate for consoles. And yet, console games sell like crazy.

I think the biggest reason why many games don't sell as well on PC, is because publishers misunderstand the PC market and it's quite simply a smaller market. Some games sell really well, but many others don't.

I dunno how much piracy affects game sales, and I got a feeling that will be very hard to determine. I don't think this poll really says anything.
This is true and I don't mean to say otherwise. The PC market is smaller for AAA titles because mainstream consumer prefer the simple and streamlined console experience, and more kids grew up on consoles and then keep using them.

Piracy is not our main problem.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 06:26 PM   #44
said53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
I think it's time governments started banning torrents.
WOW buddy !!! Take it easy up there.
said53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-10, 06:54 PM   #45
FearMeAll

I'm glad I stopped pirating games 6 years ago. When I actually had to really work for my food it changed my view on stealing from other people. I like Steam very much, and they have sales all the time.

I still get emu games(NES, etc..) from the 80s though..I am slowly collecting the actual cartridges but it's gonna take about 10 years. I have a whole room just for old games and I have all the old consoles and about 100 cartridge games per console. I made sure to get an old 36" square crt so they look right. The list keeps growing.

I also set up a pc and bought an arcade frontend to play ALL of the EMU games. I even have video previews for every game before it loads. Just uses gamepads with no mouse or keyboard ever ( http://www.maximusarcade.com ) and is more convenient than the cartridges. Still when people come over I like to show off the real collection. All the old consoles from Atari to the Sega Saturn are all hooked up at once as well. I even have the dreamcast, ps2, gamecube, and xbox hooked up with a switch as well.

I got off topic but I like old games a lot.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 09:23 PM   #46
Greg

How about we start by calling piracy what it is. No it is not theft in the legal sense. It is however stealing. From the dictionary:
Quote:
steal
–verb (used with object)
1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, esp. secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.
2. to appropriate (ideas, credit, words, etc.) without right or acknowledgment.
3. to take, get, or win insidiously, surreptitiously, subtly, or by chance: He stole my girlfriend.
etc.
Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stealing

I used to steal software. When I stopped, I consumed less software but enjoyed it a whole lot more. It was also morally the right thing to do... Since I make (and sell) software for a living, why should I steal other peoples?
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 07:52 PM   #47
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_TOON15.GIF
Views:	106
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	39915