Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-30-10, 07:56 AM   #1
|MaguS|

Default Game Pirate tries to steal Game Code at PAX

Some ****ing pirate copied the game code to Breach and was arrested after a developer saw him. This is a perfect example of how much respect these tools have for the industry and community. This is a public game convention for the fans and he abuses it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/30/br...est/#continued

Quote:
According to a representative for the company, the suspected thief managed to download some of the code and then run into the crowd after he was spotted. He was eventually apprehended in the large crowd and the game's code was found on his computer.
Quote:
"This guy had only succeeded in copying about 14MB to his laptop before our staff caught him,"
Quote:
The suspect spent four hours in jail, and his laptops, modded Xbox 360, modded PSP, modded DS and XMP3 were confiscated by police.
Best part...

Quote:
Stephen Toulouse, director of policy and enforcement for Xbox Live, actually had an incident with the suspect earlier in the day during his panel "Enforcement on Xbox Live: Tales from the Din Part 2" (audible beginning at the 40:15 mark). During the Q&A section of the panel, the alleged thief asked if he could have his Gamertag unbanned. Toulouse asked him what he'd done, and he said that he'd played Forza 3 before release, which Toulouse told him he shouldn't have done. Toulouse was clear to point out during the panel that buying games early, from a retailer that breaks street date, and playing them online doesn't get Xbox Live players banned, but illegal pre-release play does. The suspect later admitted to Joystiq he illegally downloaded Forza 3 early.
Old 03-30-10, 07:58 AM   #2
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: Game Pirate tries to steal Game Code at PAX

Hope he gets some jail-time.
Old 03-30-10, 08:00 AM   #3
Yaboze

Kind of reminds me of what happened with Half Life 2.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 08:38 AM   #4
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Hope he gets some jail-time.
Hope he gets a life sentence!!! That elk ****er!111

He got what he deserved: public humiliation.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 09:44 AM   #5
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Jail time is perhaps severe, though I would not argue against it if that ends up being what happens.

I would sentence him to a massive amount of community service and put him on probation where any illegal computer use would immediately put him in prison, then monitor him.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 10:23 AM   #6
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Jail time is perhaps severe, though I would not argue against it if that ends up being what happens.

I would sentence him to a massive amount of community service and put him on probation where any illegal computer use would immediately put him in prison, then monitor him.
He's a thief and thus deserves to be put in jail where he belongs. If this had been a car show and he had tried driving off in a Ferrari don't you think he would have been thrown in jail?
Old 03-30-10, 01:22 PM   #7
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
He's a thief and thus deserves to be put in jail where he belongs. If this had been a car show and he had tried driving off in a Ferrari don't you think he would have been thrown in jail?
Given the huge sums of money involved this is more akin to trying to steal an f16 at an air show
(if they had stolen a multi-platform game on all platforms then manage to destroy all the code)
Old 03-30-10, 01:30 PM   #8
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Off with his head!

bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-10, 01:41 PM   #9
ViN86

Quote:
Here comes the Ferrari comparison.

Yes, the guy is a dirty thief. But extended jail time doesn't really fit the crime. They should charge him with as many things as possible. Then it's up to a judge to decide his fate.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 01:48 PM   #10
ViN86

Question: What the hell does them working with the military and U.S. intelligence have to do with a video game? They use similar parts of code or something?

Or are they collecting statistics on foreigners? I don't understand why he kept saying that. Besides, the guy was stealing the game, not the source code or anything, right? So I mean he would only have access to the compiled code.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 01:52 PM   #11
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Ban him from computers for like 10 years. Just like that movie... What was it? Ya Ya Sisterhood?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 01:55 PM   #12
|MaguS|

http://kotaku.com/5505341/suspected-...ief-on-the-lam

Quote:
A Boston court has issued an arrest warrant for the man detained by police Sunday for allegedly trying to copy the code for upcoming shooter Breach, Kotaku has learned.

Justin D. May, 20, failed to show for his arraignment this morning and an arrest warrant has been issued, Suffolk County District Attorney press secretary Jake Wark told Kotaku.
Quote:
May faces charges of larceny over $250 and buying, selling or receiving stolen trade secrets. May could face up to five years or a $25,000 fine on the first charge and up to five years or a $500 fine and imprisonment of up to two years on the second charge.
Quote:
Tractenberg said, May offered to give the arresting office $100 to "get me out of this."