Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-30-10, 11:00 AM   #13
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: With 480's Updated Drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
I Luv U Toss3! Just wat I wanted to hear!

*continuing* Well, excuse my French, but crap! (jk)

Doesn't getting a case with four fans... three 230mm fans (Top,Side, and Front) and a smaller one to suck it out the back... solve the heat issue?

That is my plan. And the GTX480 is doing me a favor; because with a case like that I'll really be ready for a System upgrade to i7. In about six to nine months.

I've been waiting a long time to get the best of cooling cases.

And an 80+ Gold PSU can help with saving power. Right? And improve performance too.

I need one of those too. I've had my eyes on the best 80+ Gold PSU money can buy for over six months!
So basically you are saying that you needed to get a new case, more fans and a new PSU just to accommodate a single GTX 480 and you see no problem with this? Upgrading to an i7 doesn't warrant better cooling. Noise also doesn't seem to bare any weight with you as adding more fans sure doesn't make your PC run any quieter.
Old 03-30-10, 11:18 AM   #14
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco View Post
Bee_Dee_3_Dee I can hear you like Nvidia, as do many of us. But your insistance of them having to be the best doesn't change reality however. ATI pretty much won this round. If I were building a new top gaming system today, I'd be with a 5970 or a couple of 5850's, not 480GTX. I don't expect this to change with upcoming drivers. A refresh of 480GTX might change it, but that's still to see how it behaves..

Only 480GTX SLI could be viable, not from a price/power drain/temperature standpoint, but purely from a performance standpoint. But ~700W for 480GTX SLI, really?

But you say you'll buy in 6-9 months, and who knows what Nvidia and ATI has launched at that point. No need to worry about graphicscard now if that's the timeplan
Thanks for feedback Gaco!

I said I would upgrade my system in 6-9 months. I'm getting a GTX480 now. (I'd get anything but a GTX480 in 6-9 months from now. You make me sound really stupid! JK. I chose the GTX295 over the GTX285! I sent my GTX280 back to NewEgg and chose the GTX295 over the GTX285. I'm still laughing at ppl that disagreed because of Micro-Shuttering! Funny ppl!)

An HAF930 Case will solve any fears I may have had when it comes to preventing a problem that the GTX480's heat might cause. And I've wanted one anyway for quite some time.

And as far as them being the best, well, I did buy the first 8800GTX ever sold on the Compusa's website. And as a result, I'll always be one of their biggest fan.

Power-wise, all I have to do is repeat, "80+ Gold PSU". You know which one. Right?

Oh, and i meant no disrespect Gaco. I don't care about which is better when it causes nothing to be accomplished due to egos, so don't take anything i ever say as anything but I'm stupid, English wise.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 11:22 AM   #15
Revs

Quote:
I'm just saying that if the optimized drivers improved the GTX480's performance in games 15%-30%, wouldn't people have a change of heart towards the GTX480? Everyone seems to be bashing it.
Never mind me, I'm just giddy cos I got my new cards today . If I was rich I'd have got two 480's. It's not the performance or the heat that's the issue for me. It's the cost and power consumption (I would have had to upgrade my PSU, making it a 1100 upgrade. Two ATi's cost me 450).

I'm in no doubt performance will improve as time goes on. How much is anyone's guess. The thing that's going to affect Fermi's viability is going to be the games. Unless more games can make use of Fermi's amazing tessellation ability it's very hard to justify the cost. Unless you plain don't like ATi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Doubt we'll see anything close to a 30% improvement. Nvidia's drivers are always very good at launch day and I don't think we've ever seen that kind of an improvement from either company.
I would say it's impossible. It might just be over 12 months of smaller boosts.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 11:27 AM   #16
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970

Bee_Dee_3_Dee, if I were you I'd spend my money on a new i7 setup, keeping my GTX295 and in 6 months time buy Nvidias refresh part.Your Core 2 Duo will be pulling back the GTX480.
Intel Core i7 920 @3.8GHz|Corsair H50|MSI X58 Platinum|3x2GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 7-8-7-20|Gigabyte Radeon 7970 OC 3GB windforce|Samsung SSD 830 256GB/Intel SSD X25M 80GB|Seagate Ext. 2TB eSata|Corsair TX 750W|Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000|Silverstone Grandia GD-01 MX Black|Dell UltraSharp U2412M| Windows 7 x64 Pro
Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 11:47 AM   #17
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
Never mind me, I'm just giddy cos I got my new cards today . If I was rich I'd have got two 480's. It's not the performance or the heat that's the issue for me. It's the cost and power consumption (I would have had to upgrade my PSU, making it a 1100 upgrade. Two ATi's cost me 450).

I'm in no doubt performance will improve as time goes on. How much is anyone's guess. The thing that's going to affect Fermi's viability is going to be the games. Unless more games can make use of Fermi's amazing tessellation ability it's very hard to justify the cost. Unless you plain don't like ATi.

Congratz on the new card Revs!

Start a thread when u get it and I'll follow along and learn anything about it i can.

But, maybe, I'll have one then, too.
Old 03-30-10, 11:59 AM   #18
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
Bee_Dee_3_Dee, if I were you I'd spend my money on a new i7 setup, keeping my GTX295 and in 6 months time buy Nvidias refresh part.Your Core 2 Duo will be pulling back the GTX480.
Yes, I agree completely that my C2D Wolfdale, even @3.95, will become my Bottleneck. And thanks for the feedback, Fotis.

But I have to get a case first. I've always gone open air style. But an i7 system will need a cooling case and especially, a Firma. So the open aired gaming system days, are coming to a close. (sry for the worst pun ever! i'm editing this post and apologizing as i just noticed.)

And I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't put the GTX480 in my existing system, because I know everything in it works just fine. And that will make it easy to diagnose the new card. I've had this system over a year and I would like to see what the top Benchmarks are with a Firma before moving on.

And then I can compare the results to an i7 system with the same Firma card, when I get an i7 system in 6-9 months.
Old 03-30-10, 12:42 PM   #19
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
So basically you are saying that you needed to get a new case, more fans and a new PSU just to accommodate a single GTX 480 and you see no problem with this? Upgrading to an i7 doesn't warrant better cooling. Noise also doesn't seem to bare any weight with you as adding more fans sure doesn't make your PC run any quieter.
Oops, sry, I just noticed your reply, Toss3.

Well, it makes complete sense the way you say it, Toss.

But I've wanted the new PSU so long. Here it is, if you didn't guess which one: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W. It is awesome! (I've got 13 reviews bookmarked if you want 'em.)

But my existing system could use it already. You see, I lucked out that my Corsair 620HX PSU has worked from day one with a GTX295. But it shouldn't get as hot as it does. So I've needed the SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W, for 13 months now. Call it for safety-sake. And with five Hard Drives and even a Dual TV Card for a while, it has been a real stretch. Is that luck or what? (A 620 Watt PSU powering a GTX295 and five HDDs and an OCed CPU, for 13 months now. For three months it included a Duel TV Card too. But that's what you get when you buy the best. It was originally for an 8800GTX.)

Noise wise, Corsair's HAF-932 case has the best fans. And they should be quiet enough. I want the relief that a cool system will bring and I don't care about noise, if there's any. See, with two and three systems running at once you'd never notice because they cancel each other out.

I see you have an i7 up to 4.0GHz! w00t! Congrats Toss!

I know the Corsair's HAF-932 case is the way to go no matter what the CPU or how it's clocked. Cooling never hurt anything. And I can hear right now, the GTX480 I'm going to get, saying, "Put me in an HAF930" And, "I want a SeaSonic X750 PSU".
Old 03-30-10, 12:54 PM   #20
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Oops, sry, I just noticed your reply, Toss3.

Well, it makes complete sense the way you say it, Toss.

But I've wanted the new PSU so long. Here it is, if you didn't guess which one: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W. It is awesome! (I've got 13 reviews bookmarked if you want 'em.)

But my existing system could use it already. You see, I lucked out that my Corsair 620HX PSU has worked from day one with a GTX295. But it shouldn't get as hot as it does. So I've needed the SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W, for 13 months now. Call it for safety-sake. And with five Hard Drives and even a Dual TV Card for a while, it has been a real stretch. Is that luck or what? (A 620 Watt PSU powering a GTX295 and five HDDs and an OCed CPU, for 13 months now. For three months it included a Duel TV Card too. But that's what you get when you buy the best. It was originally for an 8800GTX.)

Noise wise, Corsair's HAF-932 case has the best fans. And they should be quiet enough. I want the relief that a cool system will bring and I don't care about noise, if there's any. See, with two and three systems running at once you'd never notice because they cancel each other out.

I see you have an i7 up to 4.0GHz! w00t! Congrats Toss!

I know the Corsair's HAF-932 case is the way to go no matter what the CPU or how it's clocked. Cooling never hurt anything. And I can hear right now, the GTX480 I'm going to get, saying, "Put me in an HAF930" And, "I want a SeaSonic X750 PSU".
Your's is going to be a great system for sure, but you need to remember that not everyone has the components to properly house a GTX 480. I'd get one if it weren't for the 5850s and their great price. Two for the price of one GTX 480 is just too great a deal to pass up.

CF 5850s also won't require a new PSU.

4.0Ghz on an i7 on water is not really that great, but as I have a C0 revision it won't post on anything higher than that without having to go over 1.4V.

Old 03-30-10, 01:34 PM   #21
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Everyone that bought the GTX295 when it got released managed to get there hands on an updated driver within one week that improved performance in Crysis:Warhead 30%. That was sooo cool.
The 295GTX is a dual GPU card, so that's a different story
Dual GPU video cards typically have more unlocked potential at launch.

Quote:
Thanks for feedback Gaco!

I said I would upgrade my system in 6-9 months. I'm getting a GTX480 now. (I'd get anything but a GTX480 in 6-9 months from now. You make me sound really stupid! JK. I chose the GTX295 over the GTX285! I sent my GTX280 back to NewEgg and chose the GTX295 over the GTX285. I'm still laughing at ppl that disagreed because of Micro-Shuttering! Funny ppl!)

An HAF930 Case will solve any fears I may have had when it comes to preventing a problem that the GTX480's heat might cause. And I've wanted one anyway for quite some time.

And as far as them being the best, well, I did buy the first 8800GTX ever sold on the Compusa's website. And as a result, I'll always be one of their biggest fan.

Power-wise, all I have to do is repeat, "80+ Gold PSU". You know which one. Right?

Oh, and i meant no disrespect Gaco. I don't care about which is better when it causes nothing to be accomplished due to egos, so don't take anything i ever say as anything but I'm stupid, English wise.
Hey whatever makes you happy, go for it

I don't agree with it being a wise or necessary decision to buy a 480GTX when you can have a substantially faster 2x5850 or 5970 for just around the same price of a 480GTX. Even if I was only able to buy Nvidia for some reason (probably psychological ), I would probably wait for the refresh. But if you've already made up your mind, then go for it and be happy with it!
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 01:57 PM   #22
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
I think u nailed it. I believe the Release Notes said something like, 30% improvement for Crysis:Warhead for those ppl using SLI.

So that's why you said,

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on anything like 30% either.
I'd expect perhaps 10-15% over time (on average in all the games in care about), anything above that would be an unexpected bonus
Well I'll ignore that and stick with what u said after that,

Quote:
You can always hope though...
Old 03-30-10, 02:18 PM   #23
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Dual GPU video cards typically have more unlocked potential at launch.

Hey whatever makes you happy, go for it

I don't agree with it being a wise or necessary decision to buy a 480GTX when you can have a substantially faster 2x5850 or 5970 for just around the same price of a 480GTX. Even if I was only able to buy Nvidia for some reason (probably psychological ), I would probably wait for the refresh. But if you've already made up your mind, then go for it and be happy with it!
There might be enough of a delay before i get a GTX480 that I'll be able to trade-up. BFG was willing to let me trade-up a GTX280 for a GTX285 or for a GTX295.

So that requires detective work in order to find out when the first rev is.

Anyone know?
Old 03-30-10, 07:16 PM   #24
Woodelf
I should be gaming.

Haven't they had enough time to work on drivers?
i7920 @ 4.0 DO - Gigabyte ud4p - g.skill trident 6x2 ddr3 2000 @1600 7.7.7.18.1 - Cogage true spirit/sythe kaze 2000 - 2x Raid "0" WD 500GB (black) - xfi fatal1ty pro - Asus 5970 900/1200 - Corsair 1000HX - Samsung px2370
Woodelf is offline   Reply With Quote