Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: Game Pirate tries to steal Game Code at PAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Here comes the Ferrari comparison.
It was inevitable. /Agent Smith

Quote:
Yes, the guy is a dirty thief. But extended jail time doesn't really fit the crime. They should charge him with as many things as possible. Then it's up to a judge to decide his fate.
How does it not fit the crime? He tried to steal code worth millions.
Old 03-30-10, 02:41 PM   #15
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
It was inevitable. /Agent Smith

How does it not fit the crime? He tried to steal code worth millions.
He attempted to steal software. This amounts to $60 or less before distribution. If he had successfully stolen the code, then distributed it, this could have resulted in hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses for the company.

But he did not distribute. Sure, his intent should be taken into account, but imo what he did boils down to petty theft. Now that he didn't appear, however, he should be jailed. Kid needs to grow the **** up.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 03:03 PM   #16
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
He attempted to steal software. This amounts to $60 or less before distribution. If he had successfully stolen the code, then distributed it, this could have resulted in hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses for the company.

But he did not distribute. Sure, his intent should be taken into account, but imo what he did boils down to petty theft. Now that he didn't appear, however, he should be jailed. Kid needs to grow the **** up.
Ok, I must admit you have a pretty good point there, but as he already had a modded xbox360 and PSP isn't it pretty obvious what he was going to do had he succeeded?
Besides this was not a finished product he tried to steal off a store-shelf, but a trade secret worth a lot more.
Old 03-30-10, 03:04 PM   #17
ViN86

Quote:
Ok, I must admit you have a pretty good point there, but as he already had a modded xbox360 and PSP isn't it pretty obvious what he was going to do had he succeeded?
Besides this was not a finished product he tried to steal off a store-shelf, but a trade secret worth a lot more.
True, but that's why I said his intent will probably be taken into account. So I am sure he would get a stiffer sentence than another person would for petty theft. Also, I don't really know how you put a value on an unfinished concept game lol. It could be worth $10 million or it could be worth $0. We won't know until it launches haha.
Old 03-30-10, 03:07 PM   #18
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Might be a simple question, but what exactly is "top secret" game code doing on a machine where any douchebag can steal it from?
Ferrari is not going to leave plans to their new top secret F1 racer at the dealership....
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 03:18 PM   #19
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
Might be a simple question, but what exactly is "top secret" game code doing on a machine where any douchebag can steal it from?
Ferrari is not going to leave plans to their new top secret F1 racer at the dealership....
It is partly the software dev fault. Source code should never be exposed outside a controlled work environment.

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 03:19 PM   #20
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduguay View Post
It is partly the software dev fault. Source code should never be exposed outside a controlled work environment.
So this was source code? Or was this a compiled game? I don't understand.

If it was source code, I don't know why the kid bothered. He probably wouldn't know how to compile/run it anyways. Either way, +1 to what lduguay said. You have to be pretty daft to leave source code exposed for the taking.

Old 03-30-10, 03:20 PM   #21
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
Think they were showing the game off and that would be pretty difficult without the code.

This just got a little bit funnier:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/30/br...ern-warfare-2/
Old 03-30-10, 03:22 PM   #22
ViN86

Quote:
Think they were showing the game off and that would be pretty difficult without the code.

This just got a little bit funnier:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/30/br...ern-warfare-2/
I would pre-compile everything before bringing it there. I mean it's not like you're going to be working on the game at PAX.

Also that link is hilarious.

EDIT: LOL I just saw they valued his attempted theft at $6 million! That's bigger than a bank robbery. He will get serious jail time for it.
Old 03-30-10, 03:27 PM   #23
|MaguS|

Quote:
I would pre-compile everything before bringing it there. I mean it's not like you're going to be working on the game at PAX.

Also that link is hilarious.

EDIT: LOL I just saw they valued his attempted theft at $6 million! That's bigger than a bank robbery. He will get serious jail time for it.
Actually the claim is unfinished code. He didn't just stick a thumb drive in the demo units, he tied into their network. Stealing unfinished code is alot more damaging then stealing a compiled game.

Heck ncsoft claimes that the stolen code for Lineage 3 (another thing from last year) has the potential to cost them billions...
Old 03-30-10, 03:29 PM   #24
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Actually the claim is unfinished code. He didn't just stick a thumb drive in the demo units, he tied into their network. Stealing unfinished code is alot more damaging then stealing a compiled game.

Heck ncsoft claimes that the stolen code for Lineage 3 (another thing from last year) has the potential to cost them billions...
So it was source then. I don't know wtf the kid was thinking. He probably wouldn't know what to do with it anyways. Then again if he bypassed security or something to obtain the code, then he would know what to do with it lol.