Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-10, 11:21 AM   #37
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Default Re: With 480's Updated Drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
no, they won't jump down from 197 to 125

new driver will be verison 256.xx, they probably picked the 256 to celebrate the old Geforce 256.
idk wat i was thinking. i knew the numbers always go up. (*As if 197<125!?*)

But sweet!

And thanks, Nekrosoft.

Do you think there could be more than 15% improvement in performance?

*i hope i hope i hope*

Thanks!
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 11:35 AM   #38
AngelGraves13

We'll just have to wait and see.

The 200 series should be getting a nice performance boost from the new drivers as well.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 11:43 AM   #39
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
We'll just have to wait and see.

The 200 series should be getting a nice performance boost from the new drivers as well.
Cool. And Thanks!

Let me ask then, would it make a difference on your opinion of the superiority of the GTX480 if the performance increased more than 15% in some games? (Namely the ones the get Benchmarks more often than those that don't get Bench-marked.)

And Thanks again, AngelGraves, for posting the news of a v256.xx being just around the corner!!! (April!!!)
Old 03-31-10, 12:09 PM   #40
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
idk wat i was thinking. i knew the numbers always go up. (*As if 197<125!?*)

But sweet!

And thanks, Nekrosoft.

Do you think there could be more than 15% improvement in performance?

*i hope i hope i hope*

Thanks!
over time yes, but don't expect the first driver to improve perormance in all games just like that.

in some cases you can expect 15-30%, but that doesn't include every game.
Old 03-31-10, 12:37 PM   #41
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
over time yes, but don't expect the first driver to improve perormance in all games just like that.

in some cases you can expect 15-30%, but that doesn't include every game.

Sweet! And yes, I forgot to include the phrase "over time". And I understand wat u mean by "all games" [not every game]. Because ppl need to always be aware of an individual card's unique character, and to purchase according to their own personal preference of Games.

Thanks again Nekrosoft!
Old 03-31-10, 05:35 PM   #42
Woodelf
I should be gaming.

Quote:
My guess is, as far as individual video games go, they have to get the Video Card(s) into production and on the store shelves first and working sort of generically. Everybody has their own favorite five or even ten games. But there's 100's of games total to be optimized. And they can't put the cart before the horse. The few people that engineer the card's Hardware and software can't say, stop! and let's make this or that game work better. Or else they would never get on the store shelves. (Or maybe that IS wat happened.)

So only now can drivers can be tweaked for individual games. But feedback from owners of the cards must be a big-time resource for them to tweak drivers. And we're still 12 days away from that.
Could be, but what I was getting at was that we don't really know what was going on before NDA. We do know that they were pretty good at keeping what they had a secret. My guess is that in the amount of time from enough working samples to the day of NDA, that they may have had an in house team working optimizing performance (not specific bug's that would be reported by the community) for the past several month's of delayed upon delayed release. This may have lessened the chances of us seeing a performance boost that we've (sort of) come to expect.

After all, Ati had less time to release and there hasn't been that much of a performance difference. Even after the 480 benches. My guess is that were probably seeing about all we are going to get from these two.

Yea, I don't think those "few people that engineer the card's Hardware and software" have had much to do (waiting for tsmc) other than game on what they had.
i7920 @ 4.0 DO - Gigabyte ud4p - g.skill trident 6x2 ddr3 2000 @1600 7.7.7.18.1 - Cogage true spirit/sythe kaze 2000 - 2x Raid "0" WD 500GB (black) - xfi fatal1ty pro - Asus 5970 900/1200 - Corsair 1000HX - Samsung px2370
Woodelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 06:08 PM   #43
Woodelf
I should be gaming.

Quote:

(The following is my rant and not a challenge to anyone.) If the HD5970 was so so so awesome and the King of Kings, then why when a few reputable and maybe maybe maybe absolutely correct Benchmarks, show the new GTX480 topping the HD5970, why does everybody jump on the, "But the Power this... and the Performance that... and the Price this and that.. Bandwagon?" (Rhetorical, no need to answer.)
You can't say that without expecting a response.

You are comparing an under clocked card. Atx spec or not, the 5970 is what it is (2x5870) and should be clocked as such. Very few of these two are not going to be overclocked.
Anyway, (as far as most in this price range are concerned) stock cooling performance potential is pretty much what should be benched.
i7920 @ 4.0 DO - Gigabyte ud4p - g.skill trident 6x2 ddr3 2000 @1600 7.7.7.18.1 - Cogage true spirit/sythe kaze 2000 - 2x Raid "0" WD 500GB (black) - xfi fatal1ty pro - Asus 5970 900/1200 - Corsair 1000HX - Samsung px2370
Old 03-31-10, 07:25 PM   #44
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodelf View Post
Could be, but what I was getting at was that we don't really know what was going on before NDA. We do know that they were pretty good at keeping what they had a secret. My guess is that in the amount of time from enough working samples to the day of NDA, that they may have had an in house team working optimizing performance (not specific bug's that would be reported by the community) for the past several month's of delayed upon delayed release. This may have lessened the chances of us seeing a performance boost that we've (sort of) come to expect.

After all, Ati had less time to release and there hasn't been that much of a performance difference. Even after the 480 benches. My guess is that were probably seeing about all we are going to get from these two.

Yea, I don't think those "few people that engineer the card's Hardware and software" have had much to do (waiting for tsmc) other than game on what they had.

Thanks for the input Woodelf!

IDK Woodelf, IMO the 256.xx drivers first mentioned by AngelGraves13 (thanks again,AngelGraves!), that are coming out in April should help in general. But the user's input is the icing on the cake when it comes to a tool to fix bugs in individual games. And until it's released that can't be done. It's the user's tens of thousands or more of different computer hard ware combinations that can't be created in any laboratory no matter how big it is.

Quote:
You can't say that without expecting a response.

You are comparing an under clocked card. Atx spec or not, the 5970 is what it is (2x5870) and should be clocked as such. Very few of these two are not going to be overclocked.
Anyway, (as far as most in this price range are concerned) stock cooling performance potential is pretty much what should be benched.
I have a very similar setup to yours Woodelf, in relation to a Dual GPUs. The GTX295 I've had for 14 months now, is not a pair of fully clocked GTX285's like some might first conclude. It is a pair of under-clocked GTX285's or overclocked GTX260's. Or to be more precise, it is exactly in between the both of those cards, overall spec wise.

But I'm not quite sure what you mean by, "You are comparing an under clocked card". Did you simply mean that the HD5970 is a pair of under-clocked HD5870's and you wanted to be sure I understood that? I do and thanks.

And I was simply comparing a single GPU card to a single GPU card. And the same single GPU card to a Dual GPU card.

Thanks again for your input Woodelf. And congratz on the i7920 @4.0GHz! (Or was it easy too easy to get to 4.0GHz? I hope it will for me soon.) I can't wait to get one too. I luv Gigabyte MOBOs and I'll probably get a ud4p too!

Old 03-31-10, 08:11 PM   #45
Woodelf
I should be gaming.

Quote:
Thanks for the input Woodelf!

Thanks again for your input Woodelf. And congratz on the i7920 @4.0GHz! (Or was it easy too easy to get to 4.0GHz? I hope it will for me soon.) I can't wait to get one too. I luv Gigabyte MOBOs and I'll probably get a ud4p too!

4 Ghz wasn't hard to get with volts and a decent cooler. It runs remarkably stable and cool with all of my setting's with every app that I've tried. I've had it running like this for a while, so I don't know what sort of bin yours will come from. From the look's of it, your new 480 and my 5970 will be looking out for what comes next from intel.
Old 04-02-10, 06:29 AM   #46
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
4 Ghz wasn't hard to get with volts and a decent cooler. It runs remarkably stable and cool with all of my setting's with every app that I've tried. I've had it running like this for a while, so I don't know what sort of bin yours will come from. From the look's of it, your new 480 and my 5970 will be looking out for what comes next from intel.
cool. sry it took so long to reply I was working overtime.

10 more days until the GTX480 is out and we see Benchmarks with new drivers!
Old 04-02-10, 09:40 PM   #47
Viral
Registered User of Women

Look at it another way. They've had working Fermis for 6 months or more, just not enough to sell and not at the final specs. I would say they have already optimised the drivers somewhat over those 6+ months. Of course they will optimise them more especially for newer games, but I'm not sure how much someone can rely on huge performance gains.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 10:12 PM   #48
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Why didn't anyone tel me?

NVIDIA Announces GTX 580

Sweet!