Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-24-03, 11:32 AM   #1
qu8

Default Nvidia Glx

Hi

I'm new to linux so this may be a bit long in resolving.

I have installed RedHat7.3 from ISO files dowenloaded from a website (Vendors required level and their recommendation to download this way)

I also downloaded NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4050.tar.gz &
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4050.tar.gz from your web site. Applied the kernel and GLX tars per your instructions but cannot see the GLX option on the card list provided. System is advising that it has no screens. The Hardware is an IBM Intellistation with dual head IBM L200P monitors.

So the "patch" does not appear to load teh required driver for your card.

Can you help please

Frank Watt
qu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 05:40 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

"card list provided" sounds like you're using the gui display config tool provided by RedHat, while logged into X. If so do not expect to get the config done that way, it doesn't work. You must hand edit a file:
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
and apply changes directly to it. Use the tool to setup your card, then edit the file to make it use the accelerated driver you're installing.

Code:
Driver "nv"   must be changed to    Driver "nvidia"
You must also comment out (add # at front) lines:
Code:
load "dri"
load "GLcore"
Don't believe you mentioned the actual video hardware that is installed in the machines there. Also, there are (or were) rpm install options for 7.3 and the older 4x.xx drivers. I had excellent success with the 31.23 driver on RH 7.3, so if you don't need more advanced feature sets in the driver (twinview, etc) I would suggest using 31.23.

Once the drivers are built, you must modify the X config ( /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ), post yours so others can confirm its correctness.

When the driver fails to load, or X fails to start properly, grab the X startup log from /var/log and post as well ( /var/log/XFree86.0.log ). All that will help people identify the problem.

Last edited by LordMorgul; 10-24-03 at 05:47 PM.
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 04:47 AM   #3
qu8

Card list provided comes from the Xconfigurator. Because I used the GLX "patch" I expected to see the GLX driver for the NVIDIA 980XGL card but this never appears on thatlist. Which driver should I be using. All my installation work was done in exactly the manner advised in the README's.

So the log file never reoports anything other than the fact that it cant see the screens.

Hang on just noticed the card is a 980xgl and I was told to download a GLX driver, is this correct.
qu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 03:03 PM   #4
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

There is only one 'binary' driver from nVidia that supports openGL (although it has different version numbers) so you did get the right driver. The card will NOT show up any differently in XConfigurator after installing this driver, you must define it in the config file yourself.

Run the configurator, select what you can in it to work with the system. Next edit the file:
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
with the changes described in the readme for that driver version, which is available from one of these driver download pages.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_archive.html

after you edit the file, you must restart the machine (or more accurately just restart X, runlevel 3 accomplishes this). When it reboots you should be able to enter X using the new driver. Again, note that the config tools will not show the driver installed and available. The card will use it (which you can verify in the X log at /var/log/XFree86.0.log or by viewing your loaded modules with the lsmod command)

The 40.50 driver version you have is not listed here, so I would suggest using one still available directly from nvidia. In the readme you will find the exact video cards that each driver supports if you would like to check compatibility. The 41.91 driver does support your card, and rpms are available for RH 7.3.

Simpler still is using the newest driver version, which includes an installer program (which mearly installs the tarballs). The newer driver however will support functionality that the older ones didn't, and is likely to be more stable.. but maybe not.