Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-02-10, 10:45 AM   #25
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer
 
Sowk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 394
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
3d gaming. that is where it is at. I am demoing it to thousands of people across the country and have yet to find someone who does not think it is the bees knees. If you want to do 3d gaming on anything other than a small screen, ATI will not work. you can only do 3d with ATI on an IZ3d monitor. With Nvidia you can game on any of the new 3d TVs coming out (current one I am working with is the 50" Panasonic plasma). With Nvidia, you can have better than Eyefinity . . .3d Surround owns it. period
At 30FPS!!!

Not for me buddy.

I'll wait for the 240Htz screens, and a video card that can power it at 60 FPS first.

Sorry to say but I think Nvidia is going to lose the next round as well. Then Nvidia will take back over the top spot.

And if I seem to hate nvidia right now... I do.

As I purchased 1 X 8800GTS / 2X 8800GTX's / 2X 8800GT's / 2X GTX285's (still have the dual 285's and 1 8800gt)

And can't use their card(s) I purchased to run Physx without a hack...

Thats just stupid... HEY NVIDIA, some people would buy your cards just for Physx if you were not stupid and disable it for your internal pride.!!! I remember reading why they disabled it and all most fell out of my chair in laughter... (real reason - ATI kicking our butts again, like back in the 9700pro days, so we'll try to keep this to ourselves...)

I hope Nvidia reads my post too!
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 10:54 AM   #26
Toss3
.<<o>>.
 
Toss3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Interesting article from X-Bit:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...hitecture.html

Looks like the next ATi chip is going to be based on 40nm which means that it's going to be bigger and hotter than their current offerings. Ati's very own Fermi in other words.
__________________
: :Asus Rampage II Gene : : Core i7 920 4011Mhz : : 6Gb 1600Mhz A-Data DDR3 : : Club3D Theatron Agrippa : : Intel 80GB SSD : : 2xSamsung F1 750Gb : : Sapphire 5850 @ 850/1225Mhz : :
: :Benq FP241W : : Optoma HD80 Projector + 92" Screen : : Genelec 8020B speakers : : Sony MDR-XB700 Headphones : : Razer Lycosa : : Razer Lachesis : :
Toss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 10:57 AM   #27
Slytat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 354
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowk View Post
And can't use their card I purchased to run Physx without a hack...

Thats just stupid... HEY NVIDIA, some people would buy your cards just for Physx if you were not stupid and disable it for your internal pride.!!! I rememer reading why they disabled it and all most fell out of my chair in laughter...

I hope Nvidia reads my post too!
This ^^

This really pisses me off tbh. I bought the damn card and I should be able to use it to run PhysX if thats what I want to do, regardless of what else is in my box. I'm very unhappy with Nvidia's counterproductive business practices tbh.

Very stupid and very shortsighted.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 11:02 AM   #28
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 214
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
I'm not upset at all. I'm just saying that the GTX 480 isn't the best bang for the buck that's all. You get better performance with two 5850 in CF and lower power consumption.
I also wouldn't base my decision on computerbase's benchmarks as they used a lot of different drivers for their tests and there's no way of knowing if they used a proper Dirt 2 benchmark that doesn't utilize DX9 on the GTX480.

120Hz 3D gaming is also supported on ATi with the latest drivers from iz3d. Still in BETA though.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying that, Toss3. And for your input too.

(I just realized I must like you a lot because of the "3" in your nik and mine too. I'm not obsessed with the number three, its just a coincidence.)

Many ppl should choose HD5850CF. And the more inexpensive it gets, the more ppl should consider researching it. IMO, never pass up on a good deal.

But still, "Beta" is becoming sort of a Motif. Like, Physx is no prob, just hak it. There's a pattern forming that I hope can be avoided in respect to arguing, hopefully with intelligent questions and not the other tiresome ways.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 11:04 AM   #29
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer
 
Sowk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 394
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
This ^^

This really pisses me off tbh. I bought the damn card and I should be able to use it to run PhysX if thats what I want to do, regardless of what else is in my box. I'm very unhappy with Nvidia's counterproductive business practices tbh.

Very stupid and very shortsighted.
And when I say they lost this round, they have in my mind, as Nvnews members know where my $1400.00 dollars went to instead of Nvidia? ATI!

Plus, The need to almost purchase a water coolin solution is just silly for a graphics card, and thats with the tests OUTSIDE of the case...
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 11:11 AM   #30
Toss3
.<<o>>.
 
Toss3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
Cool. Thanks for clarifying that, Toss3. And for your input too.

(I just realized I must like you a lot because of the "3" in your nik and mine too. I'm not obsessed with the number three, its just a coincidence.)

Many ppl should choose HD5850CF. And the more inexpensive it gets, the more ppl should consider researching it. IMO, never pass up on a good deal.

But still, "Beta" is becoming sort of a Motif. Like, Physx is no prob, just hak it. There's a pattern forming that I hope can be avoided in respect to arguing, hopefully with intelligent questions and not the other tiresome ways.
The only thing that's got me worried about going with cf is the profiles. I know they are putting some more effort into making it work better, but a single card is always the preferred solution. Guess I'll know soon enough; my second 5850 should be here in a week or so!
__________________
: :Asus Rampage II Gene : : Core i7 920 4011Mhz : : 6Gb 1600Mhz A-Data DDR3 : : Club3D Theatron Agrippa : : Intel 80GB SSD : : 2xSamsung F1 750Gb : : Sapphire 5850 @ 850/1225Mhz : :
: :Benq FP241W : : Optoma HD80 Projector + 92" Screen : : Genelec 8020B speakers : : Sony MDR-XB700 Headphones : : Razer Lycosa : : Razer Lachesis : :
Toss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 11:12 AM   #31
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer
 
Sowk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 394
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
Like, Physx is no prob, just hak it. There's a pattern forming that I hope can be avoided in respect to arguing, hopefully with intelligent questions and not the other tiresome ways.
Its not always that easy...

Metro 2033 was causing people problems, new Nvidia drivers now have the need to setup multi hacks, I should, nor any ATI owner have to do this, if they too OWN their NVIDIA cards that "support" physx.
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 11:28 AM   #32
Slytat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 354
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowk View Post
And when I say they lost this round, they have in my mind, as Nvnews members know where my $1400.00 dollars went to instead of Nvidia? ATI!

Plus, The need to almost purchase a water coolin solution is just silly for a graphics card, and thats with the tests OUTSIDE of the case...
My money went to ATI and probably will next round as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowk View Post
Its not always that easy...

Metro 2033 was causing people problems, new Nvidia drivers now have the need to setup multi hacks, I should, nor any ATI owner have to do this, if they too OWN their NVIDIA cards that "support" physx.
Plain pathetic.

It's understandable that they don't develop or allow PhysX to work on ATI's cards but to disable it on their own cards if another GPU is detected is idiotic.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-10, 11:35 AM   #33
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 214
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
The only thing that's got me worried about going with cf is the profiles. I know they are putting some more effort into making it work better, but a single card is always the preferred solution. Guess I'll know soon enough; my second 5850 should be here in a week or so!
Great investment if u have one already! Due to other options, rarely does somebody get to SLI down the road after getting one card initially. But doing so is the smartest move for you now, i betcha'.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 12:05 PM   #34
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 214
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowk View Post
Its not always that easy...

Metro 2033 was causing people problems, new Nvidia drivers now have the need to setup multi hacks, I should, nor any ATI owner have to do this, if they too OWN their NVIDIA cards that "support" physx.
omg! i never thought of that. geez, that suks.

I guess if the games you like to play, have good physX, then you have to do it. But I think it belongs in another thread because that would maybe produce results. Like NV fixing it. Better yet, I think AMD and NV have to work together on a project that fixes it.

And another thread would be a good place to expand on why it is like it is (PhysX). But here in this thread, it's more about disappointment that the creator of this thread has in the GTX480 shortly after its' unveiling.

Just remember that getting the problem fixed should be focused upon. And bashing NV can't solve the problem. It would be like screaming at politicians when you could be following the path to a solution. Turning blue in the face is all that gets accomplished. Might as well jump on Intel's bandwagon then. And we all know the eons and eons it will take for good video cards from Intel to arrive.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 12:17 PM   #35
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 214
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Seriously? When did a single highend GPU outperform a multi-GPU system from the same generation of cards before?
It's like saying the GTX 480 should be faster than GTX 470 SLI... Or GTX 280 faster than GTX 260 SLI.

That's just not realistic mate
I thought the same thing at first, Slawter.

But maybe the mistake I made was that he was considering getting a GTX480. But being sarcastic about how it should beat HD5940CF. Anyway, I think an existing HD5850 owner should go CF. And it was good sarcasm. (Sort of a little too crafty I might add. But ok.)
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 12:22 PM   #36
Toss3
.<<o>>.
 
Toss3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,763
Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Seriously? When did a single highend GPU outperform a multi-GPU system from the same generation of cards before?
It's like saying the GTX 480 should be faster than GTX 470 SLI... Or GTX 280 faster than GTX 260 SLI.

That's just not realistic mate
Well imho it all depends on the efficiency; a single GTX 480 uses more power than two 5850s do in crossfire and should thus outperform it.
Besides there's almost a one gen time difference between the two.

Really liking the IQ quality of the GTX 480 btw..
__________________
: :Asus Rampage II Gene : : Core i7 920 4011Mhz : : 6Gb 1600Mhz A-Data DDR3 : : Club3D Theatron Agrippa : : Intel 80GB SSD : : 2xSamsung F1 750Gb : : Sapphire 5850 @ 850/1225Mhz : :
: :Benq FP241W : : Optoma HD80 Projector + 92" Screen : : Genelec 8020B speakers : : Sony MDR-XB700 Headphones : : Razer Lycosa : : Razer Lachesis : :
Toss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.