Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-10, 02:46 PM   #49
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Default Re: A little disappointed in Nvidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowk View Post
When looking at reviews just look at the score from the ATI 5970, that is in its non-overclocked form 2 X ATI 5850's in CF.

Good site review on Hothardware.com
Wat about comparing HD5850CF to a single GTX480?

See, if you're like Toss3 for example, and you already have one, HD5850, then most likely the correct choice is to get a second HD5850 and go with an HD5850CF setup.

But, because of the advantages of a single GPU setup, and if you don't already have an HD5850, it is necessary to compare the GTX480 with an HD5850CF. And maybe decide on getting a GTX480. Right?

ty again for input, Sowk!
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 02:50 PM   #50
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
Wat about comparing HD5850CF to a single GTX480?

See, if you're like Toss3 for example, and you already have one, HD5850, then most likely the correct choice is to get a second HD5850 and go with an HD5850CF setup.

But, because of the advantages of a single GPU setup, and if you don't already have an HD5850, it is necessary to compare the GTX480 with an HD5850CF. And maybe decide on getting a GTX480. Right?

ty again for input, Sowk!
Not sure why you want to upgrade from the GTX295...

But a GTX480 may be the best choice for you.

Just make sure you can live with the noise level and have good side cooling fan on the side of your case.

Your CPU would be a better place to spend the money.
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 03:13 PM   #51
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Not sure why you want to upgrade from the GTX295...

But a GTX480 may be the best choice for you.

Just make sure you can live with the noise level and have good side cooling fan on the side of your case.

Your CPU would be a better place to spend the money.
I like hearing your opinion that a GTX295 owner might decide to get a GTX480, Sowk.

And the noise level can't be a problem because I have two or more PCs running all the time and the sounds they make cancel each other out. In other words, a single computer is louder than two or three.

I'm getting an HAF-932 made by Cooler Master for the comfort that knowing everything will be fully cooled, will bring. The fans are awesome and it is much less expensive than Water cooling a single video card.

And getting an i7-920 or 930 will be simple. But after I test the GTX480 on my existing LGA775-E8400, first. I know everything works perfect on it. I'll have my old GTX295 for a backup card to test and diagnose with and or use if an RMA ever occurs.
Old 04-02-10, 03:23 PM   #52
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer

The GTX480 is not bad, just not what most wanted.

The reviews sum it up well

Too Hot, Too Late, Too Much $$$

* I Purchased my Dual ATI 5970's in the beginning of March -

Now that the reviews for the GTX480 are out would I have purchased SLI 480's?

Answer no. Dual ATI 5970's is still faster then Dual 480's, cooler, quiet (as long as I don't overclock to much)
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 03:38 PM   #53
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
The GTX480 is not bad, just not what most wanted.
Do you think that is why ppl jump on the Power, Heat, and Noise Bandwagons?

I forgot to bookmark it last night, but I read something like, it is a common occurrence (jumping on the Power, Heat, Noise Bandwagons) when it comes to close benchmarks.

A GTX480 uses less power on idle than my GTX295 does. I might not bother with getting another PSU right away. And a GTX480 uses less power on full load than my GTX295 does. Nobody has mentioned that until me just now. Isn't that a big plus for me in regards to getting a GTX480?

I think it has been excluded for obvious reasons in addition to the Power, Heat, and Noise Bandwagons.
Old 04-02-10, 03:56 PM   #54
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
Do you think that is why ppl jump on the Power, Heat, and Noise Bandwagons?

I forgot to bookmark it last night, but I read something like, it is a common occurrence (jumping on the Power, Heat, Noise Bandwagons) when it comes to close benchmarks.

A GTX480 uses less power on idle than my GTX295 does. I might not bother with getting another PSU right away. And a GTX480 uses less power on full load than my GTX295 does. Nobody has mentioned that until me just now. Isn't that a big plus for me in regards to getting a GTX480?

I think it has been excluded for obvious reasons in addition to the Power, Heat, and Noise Bandwagons.

When viewed on it's own,it isn't bad at all,and it is the fastest single GPU on the market afterall,but review sites are comparing the performance relative to the competition,and that's where the power use,heat and noise and price issues are coming from basically.

You're getting another 10% better performance when averaged out overall,but using more than 10% extra power,or 10% extra transistors,or only costing 10% more or being just 10% louder than the competition,and i'm completely ignoring the 6 month gap between product releases here.

Hence why the overall launch has been lukewarm overall,and while it is a faster product on a GPU versus GPU basis,it also comes with those drawbacks,and no amount of marketing can change that unfortunately.

In terms of overall efficiency relative to the transistor budget used,price,power usage and performance delivered,the HD5870 has it beat hands down...It's simply a better product in those aspects.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 04:12 PM   #55
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
sorry for the type, i mean to say never

with dual gpu, you have to worry about scalling issues, profiles, new games support, etc...
These are all true but overstated. Crossfire scales well in just about every title that needs it, and ATI gets profiles out much faster than they used to for new titles.

Dual-GPU is a very reliable route to go these days whether it be SLI or Crossfire. Single-GPU users who rail against that need to step out of the dark ages.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 04:19 PM   #56
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
These are all true but overstated. Crossfire scales well in just about every title that needs it, and ATI gets profiles out much faster than they used to for new titles.

Dual-GPU is a very reliable route to go these days whether it be SLI or Crossfire. Single-GPU users who rail against that need to step out of the dark ages.
point it, that is doesn't always scale right, with single GPU you don't have to worry if it will or won't

I had SLI before, and I build SLI and CF rigs every month or so.

Old 04-02-10, 04:41 PM   #57
Dogmifier

Fermi, here I come.

ATi offerings imo:

NV:

Your opinion may vary.

i7 940 @ 2.93GHz (Stock)
MSI X58 Platinum
12 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 (Run at 1333 though)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
PC Power and Cooling 1200W PSU
eVGA GTX 295+
X-Fi Titanium
2 Hitatchi 500GB 7200 RPM SATA II drives
LG GGW-H20L (Blu-ray burner)
Blu-ray ROM (can't remember brand)
24" Samsung LCD 1080P Monitor (can't remember model)
Dogmifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 05:02 PM   #58
howard stern

I am glad to see this thread did not get ugly there is very good info from everyone in this thread. I am not a fanboy of either side I am just looking for the biggest bang for the buck. Having dx 11 parts out from both companies is good for all of us as prices will come down. I was hoping to return to the green team but I think my original comment stands I will wait for the refresh and pick the best card out then. Of course at anytime I might just find myself on Newegg and buy one in a weak moment.
Intel quad I7 950 @4.2| Prolimatech Megahalems | Asus Rampage III Formula| EVGA GTX 680 1287 boost| 12 gigs of Gskill DDR3 - 1600 | 2-WD 640 gig drives | Creative X-FI Fatal1ty Pro | Corsair 850W PS | Samsung S27A950D|Samsung SyncMaster 275T Plus | Lite-On Blu-Ray and Asus 24x DVD burner | Fios 35\35
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 05:28 PM   #59
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
In terms of overall efficiency relative to the transistor budget used,price,power usage and performance delivered,the HD5870 has it beat hands down...It's simply a better product in those aspects.
I forgot abut the efficiency, Shadow.

But what if only the FPS numbers were in consideration?

And just what exactly are the numbers?

Meaning, if you didn't care that a newly released card costs $80 more, and didn't care about the power, or the noise. So if none of those were an issue. And only the FPS mattered.

And depending on your personal preferences, the Games you like to play, the settings you like, show me the FPS numbers.

Because with the charts I have seen, you don't want to trade for the performance of a GTX480 for the performance of an HD5870. No way. No time.

Meaning, if I had two curtains, and all you knew was that you had to choose one computer out of the two. And behind curtain #1, was a PC that ran a game at 36 FPS. And behind curtain #2, was a PC that ran the same game at 25 FPS. You would seriously pick the one that ran at 25 FPS?

Remember, you don't care about $80 anymore because you get it free. And the Heat is just fine, because the one with a GTX480 has a very cool case. (no pun just temperature wise.) And the noise may still be debatable but I have several PCs that cancel each others sound out, so imagine you do too.

36 FPS or 26 FPS?

Which one is it?

36 FPS or 26 FPS?

Old 04-02-10, 05:36 PM   #60
Heinz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Seriously? When did a single highend GPU outperform a multi-GPU system from the same generation of cards before?
It's like saying the GTX 480 should be faster than GTX 470 SLI... Or GTX 280 faster than GTX 260 SLI.

That's just not realistic mate
Multi-GPU card is ATI strategy to compete against the top end NVIDIA cards in the last 3 generations. I'm sure ATI could have also develop a huge chip with more transistor. Looks like the multi GPU design was better and more economical choice.

For that reason I bought the HD 4870 X2 and HD 5970, would have also purchased the GTX 295 if it was not late on the market and originally still with the sandwich design.

The bottom line is ATI still has the fastest Graphic Card, it's not here to compete against multi Graphic Cards system same like GTX 295 wasn't. The only purpose for the GTX 295 was to have the fastest Graphic Card on the market.

As I said before, true NVIDIA has the fastest GPU but people don't buy GPU, they buy Graphic cards.

Now if the GTX 480 was faster than the HT 5970 (as some NVIDIA shills predicted) I would not think for a minute to order one but buing two GTX 480 for at least 1000 USD for me is not a smart option.

This is my reason to stick with the HD 5970. I'm sure some people have many other reasons why they bought tha ATI cards this round, for example 6 months sooner on the market, less expensive, better power consumption, less heat, more quiet etc.

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote