Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-10, 02:12 PM   #13
grey_1

Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
depending on your hardware, the boot time is amazing. my netbook boots in about 14 seconds. Also, the ease of hardware use is great too. i plugged in my vzw phone and it auto configured the connection for me. next, i plugged in my usb HP multi function printer and bam, it installed all the drivers (including the scanner) and it worked. no need to hit hp.com and install 130mb of drivers. next, the new theme adds a nice level of polish to an otherwise very ugly interface. face it - the brown sucked. next, the battery life has been great too, easily getting 6 hours or so of heavy usage. Also, flash doesnt run like crap anymore either. there are small interface changes that are welcome also..

lol - sorry for the rambling. its been a long morning.

EDIT - notice the new avatar Redeemed?
Thanks for the feedback. I may have 2 or 3 more rigs coming and had pretty much settled on FC. maybe I'll give this a shot again.
Old 04-05-10, 02:49 PM   #14
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
depending on your hardware, the boot time is amazing. my netbook boots in about 14 seconds. Also, the ease of hardware use is great too. i plugged in my vzw phone and it auto configured the connection for me. next, i plugged in my usb HP multi function printer and bam, it installed all the drivers (including the scanner) and it worked. no need to hit hp.com and install 130mb of drivers. next, the new theme adds a nice level of polish to an otherwise very ugly interface. face it - the brown sucked. next, the battery life has been great too, easily getting 6 hours or so of heavy usage. Also, flash doesnt run like crap anymore either. there are small interface changes that are welcome also..

lol - sorry for the rambling. its been a long morning.

EDIT - notice the new avatar Redeemed?
Homer? Is he supposed to be the president?

EDIT: NO! He's a priest!!! Is this supposed to imply something? Not trying to be dense, but I am trying to not jump to conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I may have 2 or 3 more rigs coming and had pretty much settled on FC. maybe I'll give this a shot again.
I'm slowly building up an AXP 3200 based rig. Mostly going to use it to fiddle with Server 2008 (I have zero experience with the OS) and also as a dedicated Linux rig. Really looking forward to being able to dabble freely with Linux and not worrying about borking my main rig in any way, shape, or form.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 04:20 PM   #15
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

redeemed - just honoring jeebus in my own "simpsons" way

you both will be very impressed with 10.04. Its finally making linux a friendly user experience instead of the headache is has been so far. truth be told, this will be the first linux distro i am comfortable with putting on my wife's netbook. she is Windows all the way cause she doesnt know any better - but 10.04 will impress even her.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 06:01 PM   #16
Redeemed

Cool Zoomy. Figured that was you intent with that Avatar, just didn't want to assume anything.

As to Ubuntu, I've been impressed with near every distro I've tried. With how much you're praising this one, I'm looking forward to it even more.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 06:04 PM   #17
noko
noko

Still with 9.10 and I can not log in to NVnews with it :. At work no problem putting in my password, on Ubuntu I keep getting password error. Now without NVnews that is enough reason to ditch Ubuntu . Loaded steam via wine and benched lost coast with it, was getting 60fps which did not correspond to the jerkyness I was seeing on screen. Can wine go full screen? It is either in a windows (configured) or on the desktop which screws up the aspect ratio due to top menu and bottom bar making the mouse pointer do some funny stuff. Anyways still experimenting with it.

I agree having a separate dedicated machine doing linux is probably ideal since one can get the benefit of Windows and all the software available for it and Linux. So far Ubuntu has not been too hard to plow through, in fact allot of things are just plain easy with great support.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 07:01 PM   #18
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Still with 9.10 and I can not log in to NVnews with it :. At work no problem putting in my password, on Ubuntu I keep getting password error. Now without NVnews that is enough reason to ditch Ubuntu . Loaded steam via wine and benched lost coast with it, was getting 60fps which did not correspond to the jerkyness I was seeing on screen. Can wine go full screen? It is either in a windows (configured) or on the desktop which screws up the aspect ratio due to top menu and bottom bar making the mouse pointer do some funny stuff. Anyways still experimenting with it.

I agree having a separate dedicated machine doing linux is probably ideal since one can get the benefit of Windows and all the software available for it and Linux. So far Ubuntu has not been too hard to plow through, in fact allot of things are just plain easy with great support.
believe me when i say it - 9.10 was the ugly step child of ubuntu. what a train wreck that was. you will be very impressed and pleased with 10.04.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 11:34 PM   #19
Dizzle7677

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I've done that. I tried playing Modern Warfare 2 and all objects in the game are a bright white light lol. I've messed with gaming in Linux in the past, most of which have been major disappointments when it comes to graphical quality and performance.
Interesting that it uses the UT3 engine yet alot of people report glitches. Usually the UT3 engine is a solid choice. I haven't tried MW2 so I wouldn't know, but that's what the W.I.N.E. community is for and about .... reporting bugs,sharing tips,new hacks,etc.

Btw, you can't please everyone.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 04:25 AM   #20
Sean_W

The performance is there since my Unigine Heaven benchmarks are even in Windows and Linux. I use ArchLinux, I cannot stand Ubuntu but it's a good distro for Windows users to get started with.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-10, 07:40 AM   #21
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle7677 View Post
Interesting that it uses the UT3 engine yet alot of people report glitches. Usually the UT3 engine is a solid choice. I haven't tried MW2 so I wouldn't know, but that's what the W.I.N.E. community is for and about .... reporting bugs,sharing tips,new hacks,etc.

Btw, you can't please everyone.
I agree that you can't please everyone. But, it does suck when you are used to gaming in Windows, then going to Linux where the performance is s*it and no AA/AF. It's a bit of a turn off IMO.

Ubuntu is running great on my two laptops, I'm really surprised I haven't screwed something up on it yet lol.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 08:41 AM   #22
Sean_W

Quote:
I agree that you can't please everyone. But, it does suck when you are used to gaming in Windows, then going to Linux where the performance is s*it and no AA/AF. It's a bit of a turn off IMO.

Ubuntu is running great on my two laptops, I'm really surprised I haven't screwed something up on it yet lol.
Of course there is AA and AF. You can enable it in the NVIDIA Setting UI. It should also work in WINE games since the last time I tried, AA and AF worked fine.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-10, 01:08 AM   #23
Dizzle7677

Quote:
Linux where the performance is s*it and no AA/AF.
If you want pure performance then Linux is where it's at. Period. As far as conversions in Wine from D3D to OpenGL you might lose a bit obviously depending on what it is. UT3 was the big native Linux client release that everyone has been waiting for since forever but playing it through Wine/Linux I can see why Icculus and Epic haven't really bothered that much getting it out the door lately. From my own experience, with every release the gap gets narrower and narrower and eventually you won't even notice the difference.

In saying "you can't please everyone" , I mean if you change one thing just for one application then 100 other applications might or will be affected adversely. That's what you have to keep in mind as far as the Wine Project goes and why people build there own personal versions of Wine(myself included) with all kinds of hacks/patches to make certain things work like they want.

.:Still keeping his fingers crossed for a native Linux HL2:EP3 client installer:.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 01:10 PM   #24
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Is it normal that ubuntu runs slower than windows XP on an older laptop? Going to try Xubuntu next, but my hopes of reviving this ancient thing with the power of linux is going down the drain pretty quickly.