Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-27-09, 08:58 AM   #49
FRLinux
Big Freakin Guinness

Default Re: 180.08 & red checkerboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvineous View Post
Yeah I think it must be related to that. Although I don't run KDE or any sort of desktop (so no animations on the primary screen) there are little animated widgets like GKrellM sitting on the second screen. But since they're both being powered by the same video card, it must be some sort of conflict/race condition in the drivers.
ah interesting, i get this when running gkrellm on the second screen. Works fine when only using one screen though.

Steph
FRLinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 02:38 AM   #50
Malvineous

Just upgraded to 185.18.14 and there's no improvement :-( Does nVidia even know about this problem?

I should also say I only get this problem when watching HD video streams (720p and above.) Watching DVDs and standard definition TV is fine.

Last edited by Malvineous; 06-26-09 at 02:42 AM. Reason: More info
Malvineous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 01:42 PM   #51
kom0do

Hi, i also have this problem, even with newest 185.18.14. Exactly like Nait. When Amarok is running in the tray the picture is flickering, but only whe i use xv output, whe i play movie with mplayer and vdpau output then picture is ok.
Same problem with Kaffeine when watching TV.
kom0do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 03:25 AM   #52
roalter

Came along yesterday to try with driver 190.32, and still I get red checkerboard errors; yesterday I also saw it the first time on my primary monitor, not only on the 3rd (the one attached to the TV).

Did the tests with my xserver 1.4 though, probably should upgrade somewhere along to a 1.5 or 1.6 to see if this helps. I'd really need one of the newer drivers working, as with the old 177.80 I'm running, running an application using the 3d extension (blender, xmoto...) show some serious flicker and at one point freeze X, and also firefox is extremely slow at scrolling on certain web sites, two things I didn't experience with the 190 driver (apart from the checkerboard)
roalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 10:39 AM   #53
roalter

Ok, updated X Server to 1.6, with 195.22 driver, and now I get the checkerboard on the GeForce 8600 GTS, but not on the 8400 (which has replaced my old 6200).

Which means red flashes and/or red checkerboard.
Old 01-08-10, 02:18 AM   #54
roalter

Same result still with the 195.30 driver
Old 01-29-10, 10:17 AM   #55
woboyle

I have had the same problem with every driver since 177.82 on my x86_64 CentOS system. I'm running an 8800GT board. So, I stay with the 177.82 driver as it seems to be quite reliable. I've complained about this, and posted a bug, but no feedback about a fix for it. Quite irritating! Not to mention a PITA to install/test new driver, find it still makes with the big red checkerboard, reboot and reinstall old driver again...

BTW, it also is a problem with the 190.53 driver that I tried recently.
woboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 05:32 AM   #56
roalter

the new 195.36.03 driver partially improved things... On my desktop, I didn't notice any flicker anymore on Screen 0, but still black checkerboard or completely black frames on Screen 1 (on the 8600GTS), and as before no problem with the 8400.

I'll have to run more tests to see if it gone on screen 0 altogether or if it appears again.

After one day of testing, sadly I have to report that there are still (albeit much more seldom) the red checkerboard patterns on screen 0, and black checkerboard patterns on screen 1.

Last edited by roalter; 02-11-10 at 02:34 AM.

Old 02-28-10, 09:51 PM   #57
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

To those experiencing this issue:

Unfortunately, we have not had success reliably reproducing this problem. We would like to better understand the problem and get a fix delivered in a future driver release, so it would help if you could all post a nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file so that we have more information about your system configurations (exact GPU model, number and type of displays connected, kernel and X server versions, CPU type and MB chipset, etc.) and perhaps get more insight into under what circumstances this happens and why. The nvidia-bug-report-log-gz can be generated by running "nvidia-bug-report.sh" as root.

Since this is a video playback issue, the following may also help us:

- Version of mplayer and any command line flags used when calling it
- Codecs, resolutions, and framerates of video files used
- If possible, a link to a video file that reliably reproduces this problem (The file must not infringe any copyrights.)

Edit: I have noticed that many of you are reporting this issue against GeForce 8600-series GPUs. Is anybody experiencing this on other hardware?
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 02:51 AM   #58
roalter

@danix: I'll get to it in the next few days.
Old 04-09-10, 09:53 AM   #59
davelaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
To those experiencing this issue:

Unfortunately, we have not had success reliably reproducing this problem. We would like to better understand the problem and get a fix delivered in a future driver release, so it would help if you could all post a nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file so that we have more information about your system configurations (exact GPU model, number and type of displays connected, kernel and X server versions, CPU type and MB chipset, etc.) and perhaps get more insight into under what circumstances this happens and why. The nvidia-bug-report-log-gz can be generated by running "nvidia-bug-report.sh" as root.

Since this is a video playback issue, the following may also help us:

- Version of mplayer and any command line flags used when calling it
- Codecs, resolutions, and framerates of video files used
- If possible, a link to a video file that reliably reproduces this problem (The file must not infringe any copyrights.)

Edit: I have noticed that many of you are reporting this issue against GeForce 8600-series GPUs. Is anybody experiencing this on other hardware?
Right so I figured I'd finally get around to posting some info on this. I am using the standard Ubuntu 9.10 version of gstreamer and totem to play the video files (but mplayer with xv output also causes the issue).

That is:
totem 2.28.2
GStreamer Core Library version 0.10.25

The type of video file seems to have little influence on the pattern but here is one that definitely causes it at least some of the time: http://78.105.125.218/stuff/20100307_011.mp4

NOTE: this is my personal web server, please do not download this video unless you are nvidia staff or trying to repro the bug as my connection is not that fast!

I have a geforce 8800GT. Bug report attached. The bug is hard to reproduce reliably and seems to happen at random, I just tried several times to provoke it but got nothing. It does happen though and once it starts occuring usually it will continue with some regularity. I agree with the earlier posters, it seems more common when amarok is running. One time I was watching a movie just fine, then unminimized amarok from the systray and bam, red checkered patterns (this is amarok 1.4 by the way, not the newer 2.x series, it uses qt3). The version of amarok 1.4 I am using is the latest from this ppa:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/amarok14/ubuntu

I have attached a bug report. And here is a screenshot of the effect for good measure:

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7681/screenshotbrp.png

If you need any more info just ask.

Sam
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (62.0 KB, 76 views)
davelaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 12:52 PM   #60
afgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelaser View Post
Right so I figured I'd finally get around to posting some info on this. I am using the standard Ubuntu 9.10 version of gstreamer and totem to play the video files (but mplayer with xv output also causes the issue).

That is:
totem 2.28.2
GStreamer Core Library version 0.10.25

The type of video file seems to have little influence on the pattern but here is one that definitely causes it at least some of the time: http://78.105.125.218/stuff/20100307_011.mp4

NOTE: this is my personal web server, please do not download this video unless you are nvidia staff or trying to repro the bug as my connection is not that fast!

I have a geforce 8800GT. Bug report attached. The bug is hard to reproduce reliably and seems to happen at random, I just tried several times to provoke it but got nothing. It does happen though and once it starts occuring usually it will continue with some regularity. I agree with the earlier posters, it seems more common when amarok is running. One time I was watching a movie just fine, then unminimized amarok from the systray and bam, red checkered patterns (this is amarok 1.4 by the way, not the newer 2.x series, it uses qt3). The version of amarok 1.4 I am using is the latest from this ppa:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/amarok14/ubuntu

I have attached a bug report. And here is a screenshot of the effect for good measure:

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7681/screenshotbrp.png

If you need any more info just ask.

Sam
I am seeing a similar problem. OpenSuSE 11.2 32-bit with a pair of 9800 GTX+ cards with Twinview, both monitors plugged into the primary card. Driver is 195.36.15. Xine version is libxine1-1.1.16.1-8.9.i586

During video playback in xine I see a black/red checkerboard covering the entire video window flash for just a moment. This happens whether I'm in window or full screen. It is not readily reproducible. If I see it happen and back up the video, it does not always recur when playback rolls through the same point. Using the above video I was able to see the issue a few times.

It happens whether in mp4 avi or mpg videos with xine. It does not happen in flash videos.

I too would be willing to provide any information to help troubleshoot this issue.

afgun at nospam 4usapride dot com
remove the nospam to email me
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (60.3 KB, 65 views)
afgun is offline   Reply With Quote