Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-13-10, 12:15 PM   #1
das_Mus

Default Completely disable GPU Scaling

Hi guys,
I have a HDMI Splitter connected to my Sony VAIO S (GeForce 310m). The Splitter outputs the signal to my HDTV (1366x768) and my external Monitor (1920x1080). My first problem was that the HDMI Splitter reported the lower resolution (1366x768) to the graphics card and so I couldn't get a native resolution on the external Monitor. I fixed this by saving the EDID of the external Montor and forcing X to use the information from the file instead of reading it from the HDMI Splitter with this option in my xorg.conf:
Code:
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
Now my new problem: I'm using XBMC to watch Videos on my TV and wrote a simple script that sets the resolution to 1366x768, starts XBMC and sets it back to 1920x1080 when XBMC quits. I obviously want to use the native resolution of the TV because otherwise videos are scaled up to 1920x1080 by the graphics card and then scaled down again to 1366x768 by the TV which results in a quality loss.
....but there is this damn "feature" called "GPU Scaling", which scales the image up to 1920x1080 no matter what resolution I set. Is there any way to completely disable this? I read in this thread that this can be disabled with this option, but that doesn't seem to work for me:
Code:
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
I hope you understand what I mean.

thanks,
das_Mus
das_Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 12:45 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Completely disable GPU Scaling

You may also need to enable the "ExactModeTimingsDVI" option.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 02:28 PM   #3
das_Mus

Thumbs up Re: Completely disable GPU Scaling

Thank you so much, it worked!
xrandr now doesn't work at all anymore, it say "Failed to change the screen configuration!", but it works perfectly with disper:
Code:
disper -r 1360x768 -S
das_Mus is offline   Reply With Quote