Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-10, 03:28 PM   #13
Bah!

Default Re: 480 temps great on air with nice oc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvin View Post
I'd like someone to do some tests showing the difference in temps on a 480 stock cooler. But changing the thermal compound to the standard paste that overclockers use. And was it just the gpu part the paste is applied to or did they change the paste for the memory chips and VRM's too?
There was a DIY thread on Evga that showed about a 10c drop overall when switching from the stock thermal compound to some new stuff.

After seeing all the pictures of the default stuff and how it's globbed on like peanut butter and smeared all over the place I wanna do mine too, but my temps are good and I don't want to risk screwing something up until there is some stock to replace my card with.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 05:02 PM   #14
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
There was a DIY thread on Evga that showed about a 10c drop overall when switching from the stock thermal compound to some new stuff.

After seeing all the pictures of the default stuff and how it's globbed on like peanut butter and smeared all over the place I wanna do mine too, but my temps are good and I don't want to risk screwing something up until there is some stock to replace my card with.
Is this vendor-specific, or are they all like that?

Those with good temps, what brands do you have?
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 05:58 PM   #15
sancheuz

Okay, i followed the tutorial on evga forum and changed the tim to artic silver 5 just as tutorial. I have a Zotac 480. My temps are the same, lower 80's for idle (dual monitor) and lower to mid 90's for load with fans at ~89%. Turdhat is your room temp like at the freezing point or something?
Old 04-18-10, 06:08 PM   #16
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancheuz View Post
Okay, i followed the tutorial on evga forum and changed the tim to artic silver 5 just as tutorial. I have a Zotac 480. My temps are the same, lower 80's for idle (dual monitor) and lower to mid 90's for load with fans at ~89%. Turdhat is your room temp like at the freezing point or something?
Sounds like your airflow is not ideal. I have 2 Zotacs side by side and they don't break 80c @ 70% fan speed. Room temp is 68f right now.

EDIT : Only just noticed you were using multiple monitors, that's a known issue.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 06:16 PM   #17
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Is this vendor-specific, or are they all like that?

Those with good temps, what brands do you have?
That was an Evga card, but so far all the ones I've seen pictures of have the same horrible paste job.

I have two PNY 480's. They idle at 44c and 41c @ 45% fan speed and so far I've only had one game hit 80 or above and that was Crysis which hit 83c and 81c @ 79%fan speed.

Quote:
Have you tried running just one monitor? Might give a better idea of how hot your card actually is. Dual monitors is fubar with these cards and if I were a multi-monitor person I wouldn't own one.
Old 04-18-10, 06:47 PM   #18
sancheuz

Man I'm wondering if there is a difference between vendors.. my zotac is not performing well compared to other brands. Can I ask Bah what Bios version ur card shows?
Old 04-18-10, 06:54 PM   #19
Bah!

Quote:
Man I'm wondering if there is a difference between vendors.. my zotac is not performing well compared to other brands. Can I ask Bah what Bios version ur card shows?
Well, we can't really know it's not performing well because of your dual monitor setup. Your temps are going to be higher due to that so looking at our temps isn't going to help you much. Did you try with just one monitor and seeing what they look like then?

If your temps were that high with just one monitor I could definitely say something wasn't right, but everything I've seen about two monitors shows them much, much hotter than with one.

My bios on both cards, as reported by GPU-Z, is: 70.00.1A.00.02

Edit: Saw your single monitor temps...seems excessive. I posted my temps above and it's generally 72-75f in my home, most days closer to 72. I wouldn't think a couple degrees would make that big a difference, though.

What kind of case and cooling do you have?
Old 04-18-10, 06:58 PM   #20
sancheuz

Update: I just tried single monitor preliminary and still running hot at games breaking mid 90's. My room temp is 76f right now..I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. I have the same Bios version as you Bah! I'm gonna do some more single monitor testing on it

Update 2: Okay did some further single monitor testing and still hitting 90's. Anybody else have a 480 hitting 90's or am I the only one?

Old 04-18-10, 07:07 PM   #21
Slytat

Quote:
Update: I just tried single monitor preliminary and still running hot at games breaking mid 90's. My room temp is 76f right now..I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. I have the same Bios version as you Bah! I'm gonna do some more single monitor testing on it

Update 2: Okay did some further single monitor testing and still hitting 90's. Anybody else have a 480 hitting 90's or am I the only one?
Are you using a fan profile or leaving them on auto?
Old 04-18-10, 07:37 PM   #22
Arioch

I only hit 90s if I turn on everything in Furmark with my current 77% fan speed settings. In games I have seen it dip into the low 80s on occasion on the few games I have played so far. I actually lowered the ambient temperature inside my case with my new I7 CPU since it runs a lot cooler than my QX6700 ever did.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 07:41 PM   #23
sancheuz

I have a fan profile....but if i run fan in games at anything under 90 percent, it quickly heats to the upper 90's F. In Auto it stabilizes under load in the lower 90's. Arioch, what is your room temp?
Old 04-18-10, 07:43 PM   #24
Slytat

Quote:
I have a fan profile....but if i run fan in games at anything under 90 percent, it quickly heats to the upper 90's F. In Auto it stabilizes under load in the lower 90's. Arioch, what is your room temp?
Case/Cooling etc?