Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-14-10, 05:28 PM   #13
Drolfrawd
Registered User
 
Drolfrawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,787
Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: I come in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Distro heaven, dl links, versions etc.
http://distrowatch.com/

I found Debian to be extremely stable, using the 'testing' branch, excellent distro to learn on.

I was also very impressed with Fedora Core - 11 is the last version I tried for home use, very smooth and had not one crash.

I've also heard good things about Mint linux and had quite a bit of fun with PCLinuxOS.

pretty much anything you want is available on distrowatch, including links to home pages etc. Have fun Drol
Thanks , I think i will try debian first and then see where we go.
Sure is hospitable in here
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 05:43 PM   #14
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: I come in peace

Fedora 13 will be the first distro to include experimental 3D support for NVIDIA cards with the opensource nouveau driver. The beta got released https://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease

The problem with Debian is, it's runs much older software but tends to be less buggy.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 06:27 PM   #15
Drolfrawd
Registered User
 
Drolfrawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,787
Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: I come in peace

I took a chance and download the latest Ubunbtu x64 distro, it installed the nvidia driver in a few easy clicks, don't like how it looks but it seems that it may have a future with me. I want to learn but also want to be rewarded with small successes.
For a Linux beginner this seems the way to go .
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 12:26 AM   #16
Arup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 122
Default Re: I come in peace

Lucid will have Nouveau, in Linux you can always customize if you don't like it, its free and easy unlike in other OS. I remove default Orange for all black and do it with ease, all panels go black as well, no 3rd party patches needed.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 02:30 AM   #17
Drolfrawd
Registered User
 
Drolfrawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,787
Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: I come in peace

Thanks
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 09:57 AM   #18
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: I come in peace

Something that might make your desktop look better http://www.elementary-project.com/downloads.html

You'll probably need to install the 'aurora theme engine' from the Software Centre.

Bests place for themes, icons ect.. http://gnome-look.org/

Good luck.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 01:23 PM   #19
Drolfrawd
Registered User
 
Drolfrawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,787
Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: I come in peace

I'm starting to like this a lot, ok so i am a nub, but time will take care of that. can't believe how good it is
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 03:03 PM   #20
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I come in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Fedora 13 will be the first distro to include experimental 3D support for NVIDIA cards with the opensource nouveau driver. The beta got released https://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease

The problem with Debian is, it's runs much older software but tends to be less buggy.
Yup, true. Didn't really think about that when I posted.

Drol - you've got me wanting to try the newest Ubuntu. If I ever buy the cheap_but_decent laptop I've been wanting I think I will go with Ubuntu also. Give it a test run.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-10, 03:26 PM   #21
Drolfrawd
Registered User
 
Drolfrawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,787
Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: I come in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Yup, true. Didn't really think about that when I posted.

Drol - you've got me wanting to try the newest Ubuntu. If I ever buy the cheap_but_decent laptop I've been wanting I think I will go with Ubuntu also. Give it a test run.
I'm liking it grey, seems real speedy to, reading load s about it, ok so you can't play games but everything else is working , have-even been remote s desk-topping to works servers. The themes once you read a few
guides are immense .
Also , it seems to have that feel about it, (like windows 7),that it is not going to break.
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 03:31 PM   #22
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I come in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
I'm liking it grey, seems real speedy to, reading load s about it, ok so you can't play games but everything else is working , have-even been remote s desk-topping to works servers. The themes once you read a few
guides are immense .
Also , it seems to have that feel about it, (like windows 7),that it is not going to break.
The breakage is my main concern. I have yet to run ubuntu for more than afew weeks without an update breaking something.

I hope it's improved.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 04:07 PM   #23
Drolfrawd
Registered User
 
Drolfrawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,787
Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: I come in peace

I'll keep you posted on my progress with this Install
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 09:55 PM   #24
Arup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 122
Default Re: I come in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
The breakage is my main concern. I have yet to run ubuntu for more than afew weeks without an update breaking something.

I hope it's improved.
I have run Ubuntu for years on various PCs without any breakage, OTOH, XP has broken on me quite a few times after updates and Service packs, however in case of XPx64 which is based on corporate 2003x64, it has been rock stable.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.