Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-20-10, 03:33 AM   #25
Bah!

Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Here we go again with the "justify" and the "like their life depended on it" garbage. Get over yourselves, guys!

People are just reporting what they are experiencing. There is no huge conspiracy to spread misinformation. It's laughable that you guys keep writing off person after person who buys one of these cards and then has the same experience people have been reporting for over a week now.

What about when reviewers go back after their reviews and say things like the heat and temps were "a non issue for these upgraded retail cards" and "at the end of the day the heat and noise complaints are complete non-issues"? Those are quotes from a Hardware Canucks video. You can't explain that away with people trying to deceive or justify anything, can you?
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 04:01 AM   #26
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Here we go again with the "justify" and the "like their life depended on it" garbage. Get over yourselves, guys!

People are just reporting what they are experiencing. There is no huge conspiracy to spread misinformation. It's laughable that you guys keep writing off person after person who buys one of these cards and then has the same experience people have been reporting for over a week now.

What about when reviewers go back after their reviews and say things like the heat and temps were "a non issue for these upgraded retail cards" and "at the end of the day the heat and noise complaints are complete non-issues"? Those are quotes from a Hardware Canucks video. You can't explain that away with people trying to deceive or justify anything, can you?
It has been posted several times that there has been an updated bios for the Fermi cards. It makes the Fans run at a higher RPM so the temps don't get as high as the early review samples. Some people around here, just choose to ignor it and think we are behind some sort of conspiracy theory. It kind of makes me laugh.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 05:22 AM   #27
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Yes that is true. All the reviews I read had pictures of the Mic's right next to the video card. That in itself is insane, every card would be loud like that. The simple truth is inside that case, they aren't loud at all if your case has adequate cooling.
Huh? They tested all the cards in their tests the same way. If it's relatively louder than another card in their tests, then that's a fact you can take to the bank.

Subjectively, if you find it to be bearable or can't notice the difference between it and your old card, that's fine, but doesn't make reviewers wrong.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 05:27 AM   #28
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
Who do we really believe?'Professional' reviewers or people trying to 'justify' their already made purchases.I tend to lean towards the professional reviewers.
Professional what!?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 05:36 AM   #29
Vardant

They all tested them outside the case and everyone reporting something else has them inside. Cards are cooler, less noisy, with new bios and they have vsync on. There was always a slight difference between reviews and reality, but this cooler design is something completely new and as it turns out, it's way more efficient inside a proper case.

There's also a difference between a high pitch noise some cards produce and a hum, that these cards produce. Even though the dB levels may be the same, people react to differently.

Not everybody wants to see it apparently, but that's the truth.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 05:49 AM   #30
weevil

Who do we really believe?'Professional' reviewers or people trying to 'justify' their already made purchases.I tend to lean towards the professional reviewers.

Anything you buy sounds quieter than reported by people who haven't invested

Buy it and you won't mind the noise- is being reported. Buy first, and you will believe. What are you waiting for
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 06:17 AM   #31
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Huh? They tested all the cards in their tests the same way. If it's relatively louder than another card in their tests, then that's a fact you can take to the bank.

Subjectively, if you find it to be bearable or can't notice the difference between it and your old card, that's fine, but doesn't make reviewers wrong.
All I said was in the reviews I have read. They all had the Mic sitting right next to the cards. In real life the Mic would be outside the case. I mean how many people run there systems outside of a case. Of course it would be loud if the Mic is placed right next to the card. It would be on any system pretty much, that was all I was saying.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 08:20 AM   #32
Maverickman

All I can say is that the GTX 480 is not any louder than other high-performance cards I have owned. In fact, it is much quieter than my GTX 295. As far as temps go, it doesn't get over 90 degrees C even during intense gaming. Even the HD 5870 can get that high, and I'm sure the fan on that card is not exactly quiet!

I'm not saying the reviewers are wrong, I'm just stating my own experience with a GTX 480. It's a great card, and I have not read one post from an owner who was dissatisfied with it. It may not be more than 15% faster than the HD 5870, but that card is also going for over $400. The GTX 480 may be the better buy in the long run though as more and more games will be able to take advantage of DX 11 features like tesellation. Nvdia has a winner with this card. It's not a home run over ATI, but it's still a good card.
16X BluRay-RW drive
Dell 30-inch U3014 monitor
Dell speakers
Maverickman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-10, 08:25 AM   #33
sancheuz

It seems some people's cards are running cooler then others, therefore they can run their fan at 70 percent during load which is not loud at all. My 480 in the other hand, runs hot as hell, just as the "proffesional" reviewers did and I have to run my fan at near 90% which is loud as HELL!
Old 04-20-10, 08:29 AM   #34
Bearclaw

Haha, I guess the only thing to do is to get one and judge for myself.
Old 04-20-10, 09:28 AM   #35
weevil

...must ...wait ...for ...the ...refresh
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 09:50 AM   #36
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post

+1

As I mentioned before, I'm fine with people being enthusiastic with the card. I plan to get a 470 myself in the next month or so for my renderbox, so it's definitely not an ATI/NV thing with me. But all this talk about "the reviewers were wrong... biased against Nvidia, better minimums on 470 than 5970 blah blah blah" -- somewhere between the time this card left reviewers' hands and dropped into the buyer's it now has the ability to cure cancer and feed the poor. It's pie-in-the-sky crap that's being concocted by buyer enthusiasm and then being spread as "fact" to the masses.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote