Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-10, 12:36 PM   #49
Blacklash
8^9^3
 
Blacklash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Old Vizima
Posts: 3,679
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

There's certainly nothing magical about the 470/480. If my 470 sucked, I would have reported that and sent it back.
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.96GHz (1.36v)|Mushkin 998681 XP3-12800 (3x2GB)
ASUS TUF Sabertooth (X58)|ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II (980|4604)|ASUS PA246Q
WD VelociRaptor 150GB HD (x2)|Pioneer DVR-2920Q|LG GH22LS30|Klipsch PM20 2.0
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 12:45 PM   #50
Slytat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 354
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklash View Post
There's certainly nothing magical about the 470/480. If my 470 sucked, I would have reported that and sent it back.
Ditto.

They would have been back on the UPS truck the next day if they had run at 90c+ under load. I don't care what name is on the box at the end of the day. If it performs well, it stays. The very same reason I kept my 5870s
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 03:18 PM   #51
Kaguya
Registered User
 
Kaguya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklash View Post
My 470 stock idle in a closed SilverStone case with all system fans on low.



I tried 2 hours of Crysis all VH @ 1920x1200 stock last night to establish a baseline for temps. In a closed case with system fans on low and the GPU fan @ auto I hit 85C. The fan went up to 53%. Tonight I am going to run my OC with 65% fan speed set manually and see what happens. This weekend the stock TIM is going to be replaced with Shin-etsu. Usually the factory applies too much and uses a rather standard grade.

The GTX 470s fan is loud at high levels and I haven't had use it @ that level yet.
Please keep us posted on what you find wrt your fans and temps.

I understand the point of the auto fan, but I much prefer to find a good 'reasonable' manual setting. On auto, the GPU gets the chance to get really hot, and then the fan has to work extra hard to cool it back down - if you have the fan set at a decent click from the get go, it will go up more slowly and even stay cooler.

I find that my 260s stay much cooler with my fan locked at 50% even with a moderate overclock. Plus 50% fan is very tolerable hearing-wise. I do have a manual hotkey trigger to flip to 75% on hot days, and that is noticeably loud.

I'm still heavily leaning toward a pair of 470s, but can't find any EVGAs in stock. There are a couple MSIs, though - perhaps I should jump vendors? I've heard good things about MSI's answer to Precision.
__________________
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA X58 3X SLI
OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 03:39 PM   #52
Blacklash
8^9^3
 
Blacklash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Old Vizima
Posts: 3,679
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Please keep us posted on what you find wrt your fans and temps.

I understand the point of the auto fan, but I much prefer to find a good 'reasonable' manual setting. On auto, the GPU gets the chance to get really hot, and then the fan has to work extra hard to cool it back down - if you have the fan set at a decent click from the get go, it will go up more slowly and even stay cooler.

I find that my 260s stay much cooler with my fan locked at 50% even with a moderate overclock. Plus 50% fan is very tolerable hearing-wise. I do have a manual hotkey trigger to flip to 75% on hot days, and that is noticeably loud.

I'm still heavily leaning toward a pair of 470s, but can't find any EVGAs in stock. There are a couple MSIs, though - perhaps I should jump vendors? I've heard good things about MSI's answer to Precision.
That's up to you. Precision will work with other cards. Most reference cards are manufactured in a few locations then dispersed. The reason to have an EVGA card would be support. If you want a lifetime warranty, official support of overclocking under warranty and the ability to replace your HSF without voiding your warranty, EVGA is the way to go.

Zotac has a "limited lifetime" warranty on their cards and I'm not sure what that entails. They are also a flat 350usd on Newegg in the US.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-157-_-Product

Zotac's limited lifetime warranty is detailed below.

http://www.zotacusa.com/support/warranty

The Zotac 8800 GT I had that was 700|2000 out of the box was a work horse. It was very well made. I've been told the same folks that make ATi cards for Sapphire make these for Zotac. (PC Partner) From an old 2007 article.

"Despite being a relatively new player in the graphics card market, Zotac also has huge manufacturing power behind it, being a subsidiary of PC Partner, the company that is also behind Sapphire – ATI’s largest graphics card partner. In addition to manufacturing both Zotac’s and Sapphire’s graphics cards, PC Partner is also still contracted to produce most of the ATI graphics cards on the market for AMD’s various add-in board partners."

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...zone_edition/1

Yes, I'll let you know how temps go. I'll have some Shin-Etsu X23 7783D on my GPU by the weekend.
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.96GHz (1.36v)|Mushkin 998681 XP3-12800 (3x2GB)
ASUS TUF Sabertooth (X58)|ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II (980|4604)|ASUS PA246Q
WD VelociRaptor 150GB HD (x2)|Pioneer DVR-2920Q|LG GH22LS30|Klipsch PM20 2.0
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 04:50 PM   #53
Kaguya
Registered User
 
Kaguya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklash View Post
That's up to you. Precision will work with other cards. Most reference cards are manufactured in a few locations then dispersed. The reason to have an EVGA card would be support. If you want a lifetime warranty, official support of overclocking under warranty and the ability to replace your HSF without voiding your warranty, EVGA is the way to go.....
Yeah, EVGA is really my favourite - I have purchased them exclusively for quite a few generations now (one of the reasons I haven't touched ATi in years as well). I love the forums, and being able to find someone who can actually help if there is difficulty.

I'll just wait for the EVGAs to come in stock
__________________
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA X58 3X SLI
OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 05:27 PM   #54
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
My fans never hit 70% I guess that's why I don't here to much noise, my temps hover around mid to low 80s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklash View Post
There's certainly nothing magical about the 470/480. If my 470 sucked, I would have reported that and sent it back.
according to some people it is magic, house should be on fire when fermi is running
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 07:45 AM   #55
sancheuz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 186
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I dislike loud systems, but the high idle temperature really bugs me. Not for longevity, or even for sound, but I use my computer for a lot more than gaming. A card that idles that hot just makes my office unbearable. I do put my computer to sleep, but dang.

I'm sure the next revision will address these issues. NV will stay competitive.
Especially if you run a dual monitor setup like me. I work from home and am using my pc all day and my 480 hovers when working on 3ds max or photoshop at around 83dC-85dC. It does heat up my room and it is relatively loud. I would not recommend this card to someone running dual monitors until they fix this by doing further underclocking of the card under multimonitors.

Edit: Even when idling not doing no 3d work, the card hovers at the lower 80's.. and i have a case with good airflow and my ambient temp is 75-76 d F.
__________________
huh?
sancheuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 01:59 PM   #56
Heinz68
Registered User
 
Heinz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto-CAN, Hamburg-DE, Prague-CZ
Posts: 1,893
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancheuz View Post
Especially if you run a dual monitor setup like me. I work from home and am using my pc all day and my 480 hovers when working on 3ds max or photoshop at around 83dC-85dC. It does heat up my room and it is relatively loud. I would not recommend this card to someone running dual monitors until they fix this by doing further underclocking of the card under multimonitors.

Edit: Even when idling not doing no 3d work, the card hovers at the lower 80's.. and i have a case with good airflow and my ambient temp is 75-76 d F.
I just remembered reading somewhere that NVIDIA fixed the high idle temp on dual monitor setup.
Searched the Google and it was LegitReview article where I did see it.
Basically the bios fix was increasing the fan speed but the high idle power consumption is still the same.
The result was idle temp from 85C to 75C reduction.



People are complain g about bad reviews but I think LegitReview was very nice to NVIDIA since the heading of the article is NVIDIA Solves Multi-Monitor Temp Issue on GeForce GTX 480 GPUs
__________________
Stop The Meter On Your Internet Use

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-10, 02:01 PM   #57
Q
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,808
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancheuz View Post
Especially if you run a dual monitor setup like me. I work from home and am using my pc all day and my 480 hovers when working on 3ds max or photoshop at around 83dC-85dC. It does heat up my room and it is relatively loud. I would not recommend this card to someone running dual monitors until they fix this by doing further underclocking of the card under multimonitors.

Edit: Even when idling not doing no 3d work, the card hovers at the lower 80's.. and i have a case with good airflow and my ambient temp is 75-76 d F.
Eck. Really? I'm running dual monitors as well.

I wonder if its just a driver issue. Aero shouldn't be putting that much load on the card.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 03:16 PM   #58
sancheuz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 186
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
I just remembered reading somewhere that NVIDIA fixed the high idle temp on dual monitor setup.
Searched the Google and it was LegitReview article where I did see it.
Basically the bios fix was increasing the fan speed but the high idle power consumption is still the same.
The result was idle temp from 85C to 75C reduction.



People are complain g about bad reviews but I think LegitReview was very nice to NVIDIA since the heading of the article is NVIDIA Solves Multi-Monitor Temp Issue on GeForce GTX 480 GPUs
I have a Zotac GTX 480 with the latest .02 bios revision. I've even changed the TIM on it as per comments in other threads..nothing. My card idles at 83 C with dual monitors, fans spinning right now at 59% and nothing but mozilla open. It's why I've kept saying, some people are getting better temps then others, dont know why, but it's happening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan Speed.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	40067  
__________________
huh?
sancheuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 03:53 PM   #59
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

I'm curious as to why it needs to go from 50mhz all the way up to 405mhz for dual monitors. Thats clearly why its so hot with dual monitors, but logically I would think that 2x the clock would be good enough for 2x the pixels, so why is it 405 instead of 100? Odd.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 03:57 PM   #60
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancheuz View Post
I have a Zotac GTX 480 with the latest .02 bios revision. I've even changed the TIM on it as per comments in other threads..nothing. My card idles at 83 C with dual monitors, fans spinning right now at 59% and nothing but mozilla open. It's why I've kept saying, some people are getting better temps then others, dont know why, but it's happening.
This is why reviewers and some people say that these cards run hot. Compare a GTX 480 with 2 monitors to the temps on an HD 5870 with 2 monitors. The difference is night and day. My 5870, which is currently driving 2 monitors, both at 1920x1200, idles at 51c, which a GTX 480 idles at around 80c. At 59%, the fan on the GTX 480 is audible. The only way it's not is if the case has a think coat of sound deadening material around it. Most people don't go the extra mile to do such things.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people say it runs cool as can be, while others say it runs hot. I don't think we're ever going to reach a consensus as to how it really runs.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.