Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-10, 07:01 PM   #205
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
I don't have that game...but I do notice that games like Metro and AvP run a lot better plus the cards OC well, I'm pretty happy overall.
So compared to your 5870s, what do you think about power draw, heat, IQ, drivers, etc?

I'm thinking of going from a nicely OC'd and water cooled 5870 to GTX 480. Just dont know if its worth it.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 07:21 PM   #206
Slytat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 354
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
So compared to your 5870s, what do you think about power draw, heat, IQ, drivers, etc?

I'm thinking of going from a nicely OC'd and water cooled 5870 to GTX 480. Just dont know if its worth it.
I've played GTA IV (and the recently released addons). It runs really well on 480 SLI.

I should note that I still have to turn shadows off as the ridiculous flickering shadows still rear their ugly head from time to time (nowhere near as bad as 5870 CF mind you but any flickering is too much IMHO).
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 07:26 PM   #207
lee63
Classified
 
lee63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Murrieta, U.S./Taunton, U.K.
Posts: 4,263
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
So compared to your 5870s, what do you think about power draw, heat, IQ, drivers, etc?

I'm thinking of going from a nicely OC'd and water cooled 5870 to GTX 480. Just dont know if its worth it.
The drivers are better, they use way more power but that's a non issue with me, they're the hottest cards I've owed....but not much more than my old 285's.

I was really surprised at the noise level, its not bad at all...prolly the same as the 5870s under load.

You'll be able to get good OC's being on water.
__________________
lee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 07:32 PM   #208
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
The drivers are better, they use way more power but that's a non issue with me, they're the hottest cards I've owed....but not much more than my old 285's.

I was really surprised at the noise level, its not bad at all...prolly the same as the 5870s under load.

You'll be able to get good OC's being on water.
Cool. My hitch right now is that the ATI drivers are really getting polished and with the performance increases I'm wondering how much ATI has closed the gap already. And of course the price.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 07:32 PM   #209
brunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

So I'm getting a 480 tomorrow. Not really excited though because I still haven't succeeded in getting another one. I'm not gonna take out my 2 5870s until I have 2 480s.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
I've played GTA IV (and the recently released addons). It runs really well on 480 SLI.

I should note that I still have to turn shadows off as the ridiculous flickering shadows still rear their ugly head from time to time (nowhere near as bad as 5870 CF mind you but any flickering is too much IMHO).
Why not just turn off SLI for that game? Multi-GPU does almost nothing for GTAIV.
brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 07:39 PM   #210
Slytat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 354
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunner View Post
So I'm getting a 480 tomorrow. Not really excited though because I still haven't succeeded in getting another one. I'm not gonna take out my 2 5870s until I have 2 480s.




Why not just turn off SLI for that game? Multi-GPU does almost nothing for GTAIV.
This is true

GTA IV (Original Game) 1920 x 1080 - Everything maxed 480 SLI, 980x @ 4.00Ghz etc.

Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 09:59 PM   #211
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.
 
-=DVS=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Outerspace
Posts: 3,009
Talking Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

Stone Giant - download

1920x1080 - Tessellation High


F4 then Enter to run benchmark
....
__________________
.:. Lian Li X500FX .:. i7 2600k .:. PNY GTX 680 .:. Corsair DDR3 8GB .:. Silverstone 800W PSU .:. Asus P8P67-M Pro .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.
-=DVS=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 10:56 PM   #212
lee63
Classified
 
lee63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Murrieta, U.S./Taunton, U.K.
Posts: 4,263
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Cool. My hitch right now is that the ATI drivers are really getting polished and with the performance increases I'm wondering how much ATI has closed the gap already. And of course the price.
Yeah props to ATi for updating their driver often now, hell...I couldn't keep up at times, but you expect vsync to after so many updates at least they have profiles now.

Some of Nvidias profiles are not working either, like AA doesn't work in the Metro profile. So basically both company's have issues with their drivers, its just whatever matters to you.
__________________
lee63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-10, 11:34 PM   #213
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Yeah props to ATi for updating their driver often now, hell...I couldn't keep up at times, but you expect vsync to after so many updates at least they have profiles now.

Some of Nvidias profiles are not working either, like AA doesn't work in the Metro profile. So basically both company's have issues with their drivers, its just whatever matters to you.
yea vsync is a non issue to me with a single card. That was another reason I swore off multi GPU forever, why pay all that money to lock @ 60fps.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 11:44 PM   #214
lee63
Classified
 
lee63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Murrieta, U.S./Taunton, U.K.
Posts: 4,263
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
yea vsync is a non issue to me with a single card. That was another reason I swore off multi GPU forever, why pay all that money to lock @ 60fps.
I'm hoping the new ViewSonic 120Hz monitor will alleviate that issue, I've been waiting for a 24inch 120Hz monitor for ever.
__________________
lee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 02:37 AM   #215
Blacklash
8^9^3
 
Blacklash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Old Vizima
Posts: 3,679
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

If anyone decides to try this Acer LCD set; 42% brightness, 60% contrast, .95-1.00 gamma, and 60% DV from the nVidia CP. Looks pretty spiffy set like that. Don't run ACM. The colors are much better than I expected.

If you want a more subdued look try as above save with .90 gamma, and 53% DV. Approach one is good for pics and gaming. Two for text and forums browsing.
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.96GHz (1.36v)|Mushkin 998681 XP3-12800 (3x2GB)
ASUS TUF Sabertooth (X58)|ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II (980|4604)|ASUS PA246Q
WD VelociRaptor 150GB HD (x2)|Pioneer DVR-2920Q|LG GH22LS30|Klipsch PM20 2.0
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 04:50 AM   #216
rap1d^
 
rap1d^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 110
Default Re: Official "I just got a Geforce GTX 470/480" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
I've played GTA IV (and the recently released addons). It runs really well on 480 SLI.

I should note that I still have to turn shadows off as the ridiculous flickering shadows still rear their ugly head from time to time (nowhere near as bad as 5870 CF mind you but any flickering is too much IMHO).
From the Nvidia Forums the shadow flicker in GTA4 is a driver issue which is being worked on.
__________________
| Intel Core i7 970 @ 4.0Ghz | Asus P6T Deluxe | 3x2Gb Corsair DDR3 PC-12800 | 2 x Palit GTX480 | Creative XFI | OCZ Vertex 3 | BenQ FP241w | Windows 7 64 |
rap1d^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.