Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: How long for console DRM to effect consumers?
It already does. 14 48.28%
Next generation. 10 34.48%
The generation after next 2 6.90%
The generation after the generation after the next. 0 0%
It never will, ever. 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-10, 03:20 AM   #25
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: How long until DRM effects console games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post
I just wonder how they will try to lock it practically for boxed games. As for Steam, you buy the game there and its connected to your account and not allowed to sell (well some do that anyway). The few boxed games with Steam, like Dawn of War II have serial numbers you register.

Maybe some sort of special media that allows writing to and therefore locking the game disc to your account? I suppose Microsoft will use blu-ray for their next-gen console. The drives are fairly cheap now.
They could use key codes, they have introduced them to console gamers this gen with special unlocks and DLC coupons.

If they don't want that, I suppose every disc could have a stored key on it that the machine reads when you boot it up which ties it to your gamertag thing, but that seems needlessly complicated and deceptive.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 11:16 AM   #26
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

it alreay does, less with retail games, but more with games bought online, plus they are testing DRM with movies, shows, music you buy on console as well.

they give you a tiny hdd, you buy a movie hdd gets filled up, then you have to delete stuff and some stuff like TV shows can't be re-downloaded while some movies you have few months.

same with PS3, purchased movies can't be redownloaded unless you beg customer service.
Old 03-19-10, 11:38 AM   #27
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
it alreay does, less with retail games, but more with games bought online, plus they are testing DRM with movies, shows, music you buy on console as well.

they give you a tiny hdd, you buy a movie hdd gets filled up, then you have to delete stuff and some stuff like TV shows can't be re-downloaded while some movies you have few months.

same with PS3, purchased movies can't be redownloaded unless you beg customer service.
Yeah but atleast with the PS3 you can backup any purchase onto an external device or swap your OEM Drive for another larger drive.
Old 03-19-10, 12:54 PM   #28
Ghosthunter

i am confused unless you are downloading stuff to PS3 why would they use DRM?

I just buy all my games right from the store and have a physical disc, unless you are saying it is going to change and in future all games will be download only?
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 04:42 PM   #29
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post
unless you are saying it is going to change and in future all games will be download only?
it wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of them eventually are DL.

look at what's happening with netflix. almost half the movies we watch from them are streaming... not even disks.

the problem right now is that few people have the bandwidth to stream true bluray quality video.

with games though, you could download what's needed to get the game playing and have it constantly downloading the rest of the game as you play.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 05:10 AM   #30
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

The new Final Fight game on PSN requires an internet connection to start.

HERE WE GO!
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 06:28 AM   #31
Viral
Registered User of Women

Crap... Having my PC connceted to the net makes sense, but I'm not really interested in PSN, wireless is too slow to work on my model PS3 and I'd need to buy another 10m ethernet cable and rout it through the floor and along the roof to connect my PS3 to my router. So I can't see the point when I don't want to game online. If more games do this... LAME!

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote