Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-21-10, 04:44 PM   #61
Bah!

Default Re: GTX 480 fan is NOT LOUD! What's up with these reviewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post

Different strokes for different folks. Some people say it runs cool as can be, while others say it runs hot. I don't think we're ever going to reach a consensus as to how it really runs.
Dual monitors on these cards suck, so if they are complaining about high temps at idle with multiple monitors I completely agree with them. I don't know wtf Nvidia was thinking, but, as i've said before, I wouldn't own one of these cards if I ran multiple monitors. There is no excuse for the adding of a second monitor to double your idle temps.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 04:47 PM   #62
sancheuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
This is why reviewers and some people say that these cards run hot. Compare a GTX 480 with 2 monitors to the temps on an HD 5870 with 2 monitors. The difference is night and day. My 5870, which is currently driving 2 monitors, both at 1920x1200, idles at 51c, which a GTX 480 idles at around 80c. At 59%, the fan on the GTX 480 is audible. The only way it's not is if the case has a think coat of sound deadening material around it. Most people don't go the extra mile to do such things.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people say it runs cool as can be, while others say it runs hot. I don't think we're ever going to reach a consensus as to how it really runs.
Bottom line for me... I love the performance on the card.. I upgraded from a 8800 GTX so you can inmagine how nice it's for me to run crysis full blast with not so much as a hiccup.. but I totally hate hearing my card all day (I freelance in my PC from home) given it IS audible at ~60%, not even mentioning how much it heats up my room. So for anyone with dual monitors considering getting this card, only do so if you are prepared to deal with extra noise/heat in ur room, otherwise u might regret it. Me, I'm just hoping that NVidia somehow manages to clock this beast down alot more for dual monitors, hopefully dropping temps down with it....but that is just wishful thinking.

P.S. In my line of work (architectural illustrator) dual monitors is necessary
Old 04-22-10, 06:12 PM   #63
Euphobia
li $v0, 4

I upgraded from a pair of 8800GTS 512s to a GTX 470, and it is a lot quieter than what I've read. I've set the fan speed to around 63%, and it's quieter than what one of my single 8800s were, let alone both of them running in SLI.
Euphobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 07:14 PM   #64
Viral
Registered User of Women

Just an FYI, 5970's, 5870's and 5850's are supposed to clock up to 400MHz core when more than one monitor is connected, too. I only know this because someone on another forum has a 5850 that isn't doing this and they were getting performance issues with it clocked at 157MHz (default for single display 2D), so they had to use ATT to manually set 2D clocks to 400MHz. He didn't report any heat increase with the clock bump but he's running on water so that's a given. I think the problem may have been fixed since then.

Anyhow although this is relatively less of a clock increase when compared to GTX 4xx, it shows that the increase is necessary, unfortunately.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 09:24 PM   #65
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Just an FYI, 5970's, 5870's and 5850's are supposed to clock up to 400MHz core when more than one monitor is connected, too. I only know this because someone on another forum has a 5850 that isn't doing this and they were getting performance issues with it clocked at 157MHz (default for single display 2D), so they had to use ATT to manually set 2D clocks to 400MHz. He didn't report any heat increase with the clock bump but he's running on water so that's a given. I think the problem may have been fixed since then.

Anyhow although this is relatively less of a clock increase when compared to GTX 4xx, it shows that the increase is necessary, unfortunately.
Yeah I can see the need for an increase, but, logically, x2 the pixels = about 2x the clock, right? ATI goes from 157 --> 400, thats a little more than double, but ok. So, why does NV need to go from 50--> 405? More than 8 times the clock? I'm thinking its just a bios issue but then they would have fixed it by now if it was, so I donno.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 08:53 AM   #66
Xion X2

Perhaps there's some logic built in to sync two monitors that has to run on the GPU?

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 06:21 PM   #67
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

O.K. I'm going to weigh in now that I've got my card installed. Yes the fan can get ridiculously loud. I'm running Kombuster right now and with a fan speed set at 75% I can hear it all the way across the room.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 11:09 AM   #68
sancheuz

okay i ran kombustor and my card hit the big 100 d C... anybody else reached this temp?... i'm really starting to get worried bout my card, gonna redo the TIM on it again to see if maybe I did it wrong the first time around.

Old 04-24-10, 11:57 AM   #69
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancheuz View Post
okay i ran kombustor and my card hit the big 100 d C... anybody else reached this temp?... i'm really starting to get worried bout my card, gonna redo the TIM on it again to see if maybe I did it wrong the first time around.
Set up a custom fan profile in afterburner. You wouldn't believe how much it helps. My card doesn't go above 83 while playing BFBC2 over-volted and oc'd to 800 core.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 01:20 PM   #70
sancheuz

Okay, redid the TIM on my 480 a 2nd time around. When I opened it up, I think the stuff didnt stick on too well the first time I did it because there were patches of the gpu plate that were TIM less.. the heat sink sucked it up when i lifted it... dont know if that is normal. Anyways, last time I used Artic Silver 5, now I used Artic Silver Ceramique, had just enough to cover the entire plate with a beefy coat. Results so far are good, ran Kombustor and this time went up to 95 and leveled off (5 degrees cooler from earlier today) Crysis is not going up above 90 degrees with fan at 90 percent, b4 crysis was hitting 95 or 96. Haven't tested idleling yet.
Old 05-01-10, 10:24 PM   #71
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Haha, I guess the only thing to do is to get one and judge for myself.
This is the best advise I've heard in this thread.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 12:20 AM   #72
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancheuz View Post
Okay, redid the TIM on my 480 a 2nd time around. When I opened it up, I think the stuff didnt stick on too well the first time I did it because there were patches of the gpu plate that were TIM less.. the heat sink sucked it up when i lifted it... dont know if that is normal. Anyways, last time I used Artic Silver 5, now I used Artic Silver Ceramique, had just enough to cover the entire plate with a beefy coat. Results so far are good, ran Kombustor and this time went up to 95 and leveled off (5 degrees cooler from earlier today) Crysis is not going up above 90 degrees with fan at 90 percent, b4 crysis was hitting 95 or 96. Haven't tested idleling yet.
Since the GTX 480 has a heatspreader patches arent really gonna matter. And AS5 is always a few deg lower than ceramique once it sets up. Probably just ambient temp change that is showing 5 deg less. Glad mine is water cooled now, its almost a must do with these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote