Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-26-10, 09:27 AM   #13
cthulhu
Great Old One

Default Re: Steam ported to Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

What crack are you smoking? I'm all for linux, don't get me wrong. But WINE performance is HORRIBLE compared to Windows native performance. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to get out of the Windows world but gaming has always kept me away from using Linux full time. No AA/AF and the frame rate is just awful.
"When it comes to crack, I got a little piece of advice: Never do a drug, that's named after a part of your own ass!"
- Dennis Leary

World Of Warcraft and Lord Of The Rings Online have both shown better performance under WINE, than under native winblows.

I'm well aware that Crysis, Far Cry 2 and similar games show terrible performance, but it's simply a matter of missing bugs in WINE. I wish I was only kidding, but a while ago LOTRO running in WINE experienced a rather annoying rubber band effect, where the player was constantly thrown back (like held back by a rubber band). It turned out that the LOTRO game engine relied on dubious behaviour (wrongly documented) in the winblows network layer. WINE Bugzilla link.

Of course missing DirectX functions and sub-optimal D3D->OGL wrapper code contributes to bad performance as well. Native OpenGL games usually perform quite well under WINE. Crysis and Far Cry 2 are AFAIK both DirectX games.
Laptop: Asus U6V, Core2Duo P8400, 3GB DDR2, 9300M GS
OS on all: Gentoo Linux

Bought a computer bundled with windows? Don't want to use windows? Demand a refund!
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 09:34 AM   #14
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
"When it comes to crack, I got a little piece of advice: Never do a drug, that's named after a part of your own ass!"
- Dennis Leary

World Of Warcraft and Lord Of The Rings Online have both shown better performance under WINE, than under native winblows.

I'm well aware that Crysis, Far Cry 2 and similar games show terrible performance, but it's simply a matter of missing bugs in WINE. I wish I was only kidding, but a while ago LOTRO running in WINE experienced a rather annoying rubber band effect, where the player was constantly thrown back (like held back by a rubber band). It turned out that the LOTRO game engine relied on dubious behaviour (wrongly documented) in the winblows network layer. WINE Bugzilla link.

Of course missing DirectX functions and sub-optimal D3D->OGL wrapper code contributes to bad performance as well. Native OpenGL games usually perform quite well under WINE. Crysis and Far Cry 2 are AFAIK both DirectX games.
Oh well, I don't play MMOs. I usually just play FPS games and they run like sh*t going through WINE.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 10:49 AM   #15
Sean_W

Stick with Windows for playing games you want to play then. I use Windows for gaming and nothing else, Linux for everything else.

If I can play a game in Linux I want, I will. I occasionally play OpenArea in Linux online. When Steam does makes it to Linux then I'll play Valve games there.

No idea why you people are talking about WINE, since the native port has no suggestion of using WINE for any part, client or games.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 11:21 AM   #16
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Stick with Windows for playing games you want to play then. I use Windows for gaming and nothing else, Linux for everything else.

If I can play a game in Linux I want, I will. I occasionally play OpenArea in Linux online. When Steam does makes it to Linux then I'll play Valve games there.

No idea why you people are talking about WINE, since the native port has no suggestion of using WINE for any part, client or games.
I just made the mention that I hope the Steam games will run natively and not through WINE due to horrible performance.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 11:44 AM   #17
Sean_W

OK, no worries. Dizzle7677 brought it up for no reason, since we're talking about "native' here.
Old 04-27-10, 12:49 AM   #18
Dizzle7677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Stick with Windows for playing games
M$ has set itself up for their bastion (which they've holed up in) to be stormed.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 01:38 AM   #19
cthulhu
Great Old One

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Oh well, I don't play MMOs. I usually just play FPS games and they run like sh*t going through WINE.
Whether it's MMOs or FPS games is completely irrelevant. The bug I linked to, was only to illustrate what the WINE developers are up against. It's no joke when they say that WINE is "a bug-by-bug re-implementation of vital winblows system libraries".

The thing that makes the biggest difference is whether it's a OpenGL or DirectX game. OpenGL runs natively on Linux, but DirectX is M$ technology for which there exists no Linux drivers. Thus it has to be emulated using OpenGL, therefore the performance hit.

I use Linux (and WINE) for WoW, Bioshock, Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy), LOTRO and DDO plus a PS3 for various other games.

And BTW: Screw Sony for removing the "Other OS" option from the latest PS3 firmwares!
Laptop: Asus U6V, Core2Duo P8400, 3GB DDR2, 9300M GS
OS on all: Gentoo Linux

Bought a computer bundled with windows? Don't want to use windows? Demand a refund!
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 06:57 AM   #20
General Lee

sex_storm, why'd you come into the Linus forums? You know dang well that you should be in your cage!

Sorry my fellow spazzes. Someone apparently let the gimp out of bob saget's bedroom. To ensure it never happens again, send DiscipleDOC naughty lingerie along with naked pictures of yourself.

Yeah, I need coffee...brain just won't boot.

Old 04-27-10, 09:24 AM   #21
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
sex_storm, why'd you come into the Linus forums? You know dang well that you should be in your cage!

Sorry my fellow spazzes. Someone apparently let the gimp out of bob saget's bedroom. To ensure it never happens again, send DiscipleDOC naughty lingerie along with naked pictures of yourself.

Yeah, I need coffee...brain just won't boot.
haha, well it looks like he's seen the light like a lot of people and realised that Windows is not the only useful OS out there.

A lot of you guys here are hard core PC gamers, so Linux is really not an option as a primary OS. A Steam port will help Linux on the road to a serious gaming platform, but that's not to say you cannot have fun with a lot of the current games on the Linux platform.
Old 04-27-10, 11:27 AM   #22
General Lee

Linux has it's uses...gaming is not among them. It would be nice if it were though.
Old 04-27-10, 02:55 PM   #23
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

What we need is an OS that would just boot and launch games. You could then save some cash and have it plug into your existing TV and do away with a bulky desk and game right from your couch. Throw in some wireless controllers and you're set.

You know what I'm on to something! BRB guys. I gotta write this down!
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 03:04 PM   #24
Bearclaw