Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-10, 03:08 PM   #25
grey_1

Default Re: Steam ported to Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
haha, well it looks like he's seen the light like a lot of people and realised that Windows is not the only useful OS out there.

A lot of you guys here are hard core PC gamers, so Linux is really not an option as a primary OS. A Steam port will help Linux on the road to a serious gaming platform, but that's not to say you cannot have fun with a lot of the current games on the Linux platform.
Not yet, but I like the way this is going. Valve taking Linux seriously and leaking word of it a while back means that other devs have to at least consider some support.

I do like Win7, but I would love an OS that can be customized exactly the way I like it, and can easily play my favorite games, which just so happen to be source engine at the moment.

Yep, like where this is heading.
Old 04-27-10, 03:42 PM   #26
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Once that is deployed, Linux gaming will effectively perform a jump in quality, at least I hope we stop seeing blatant copies of Quake 3 over and over (and people still wonder why Linux is still considered an OS for freaks... meh -.-)

Now if Mesa was on par with the features/performance the binary blobs offer, that would be really awesome.

PS. Oh, and... please, developers, move the input & event drivers to the kernel and leave the X server for what really is for the vast majority of users... for GRAPHICS!! I expect the X server to be a high-performance OpenGL renderer, not a networked mess full of... crap ¬¬
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 02:37 AM   #27
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Not yet, but I like the way this is going. Valve taking Linux seriously and leaking word of it a while back means that other devs have to at least consider some support.

I do like Win7, but I would love an OS that can be customized exactly the way I like it, and can easily play my favorite games, which just so happen to be source engine at the moment.

Yep, like where this is heading.
Linux Desktop Environments are like that, very customisable. You should try KDE4.4.x, it's very flexible and configurable but not the most stable DE at the moment because it's still pretty young in it's 4 series, which was mostly a rewrite. Remember that you can install any DE, you don't need to install a new version of Ubuntu or distro to try it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuapaLJF8g
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 07:15 AM   #28
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Linux Desktop Environments are like that, very customisable. You should try KDE4.4.x, it's very flexible and configurable but not the most stable DE at the moment because it's still pretty young in it's 4 series, which was mostly a rewrite. Remember that you can install any DE, you don't need to install a new version of Ubuntu or distro to try it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuapaLJF8g
Yep, playing with DEs was always a favorite hobby. Remember Enlightenment? Beautiful WM, innovative...If they ever made that a bit more user friendly, I don't know. haven't tried it for some time now.

I've been pretty well hooked on Gnome, mainly due to KDE's bloat and the instability. But with today's hardware bloat isn't much of a factor for me any more...I may give it a try again.

I wonder how it would look with that native steam icon sitting on the desktop...
Old 05-12-10, 12:51 PM   #29
Sean_W

Thumbs up Re: Steam ported to Linux!

More rumours. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ement&num=1%22
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote