Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-10, 04:08 PM   #25
Vorgus
Registered User
 
Vorgus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 107
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. It is nice to know the ASUS has the G98 chip.

I should better explain what my needs are. I will be using it in my MythTV HTPC for playing programs recorded with an ATSC tuner so I am less concerned about H.264 and more concerned about MPEG-2. Although the streams are in HD, I will be downconverting them to SD as I don't have an HDTV yet, so I need the card to have TV-OUT (for S-VIDEO). When I get an HDTV, I can always upgrade my video card at that time.

Are there any fanless GF 210 cards with TV-OUT? All the ones I have seen have an HDMI connector instead.

I was also looking at a 9400 and a 9500 (both by Sparkle), but was told they actually aren't as good as the 8400 (and looking at the link provided by gradinaruvasile, it seems true as they only support feature set A).

Any other recommendations? Thanks again!
Right now I am only using the 8400 on atsc and it is down converting to SD. My tv has RGB in, so that is what I am using. And I can tell you, the asus 8400gs silent is too slow. It requires careful settings and still gets droped frames, looses A/V sync, gets stuck in some kind of video studder with no audio (fixable by chaning chanels). I use 1/2 spastal because one of the channels has more problems at full. I would not recommend this card. Also, think ahead. You may want to do more latter, even just add a dvd to play movies.

btw, it doesn't matter that yuo are down converting it. It's the source that matters. If it can't play h264 video then it doesn't matter if it's going to 1080p or TV-out, it's still h264. The card still has to handle the data before it down converts it as far as I know
Vorgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 04:13 PM   #26
roger1818
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 10
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgus View Post
Right now I am only using the 8400 on atsc and it is down converting to SD. My tv has RGB in, so that is what I am using. And I can tell you, the asus 8400gs silent is too slow. It requires careful settings and still gets droped frames, looses A/V sync, gets stuck in some kind of video studder with no audio (fixable by chaning chanels). I use 1/2 spastal because one of the channels has more problems at full. I would not recommend this card. Also, think ahead. You may want to do more latter, even just add a dvd to play movies.
Thanks for the advice! May I ask what PC you are using? Although the video card may be doing all the MPEG decoding, there may be other bottlenecks with a PC that is underpowered.
roger1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 05:52 PM   #27
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
I dont know exactly the theory behind this, bit i have a Quadro NVS 135M on my laptop that supports set A and i have a 8200 on an ASUS M2N78-VM mobo that supports set B - and i can tell you that the 135M doesnt played all movies the 8200 did.
Could you point me to a sample? I am curious (and I don't think this is a known issue).
Quote:
And i havent seen a single movie that works on the 135M and doesnt on the 8200...
Just try any H264 video that is 1024 pixels wide...

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 10:46 PM   #28
primerib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Aren't all ATSC broadcasts currently encoded in MPEG-2
Nope. You may want to make sure the broadcasts you plan on using are in fact mpeg2 before you make your purchase.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 02:45 PM   #29
roger1818
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 10
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
Just try any H264 video that is 1024 pixels wide...
Where would someone find such a video? It isn't a standard resolution for television in North America. Is it in Europe?
roger1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 03:27 PM   #30
roger1818
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 10
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by primerib View Post
Nope. You may want to make sure the broadcasts you plan on using are in fact mpeg2 before you make your purchase.
Really? Do you know of any stations in North America that broadcast over the air with H.264? In any event it would be a non-issue, since all the valid resolutions in the ATSC standard are supported by the G98 chip.
roger1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 06:11 PM   #31
Vorgus
Registered User
 
Vorgus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 107
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Thanks for the advice! May I ask what PC you are using? Although the video card may be doing all the MPEG decoding, there may be other bottlenecks with a PC that is underpowered.
Athlon64 x2 4200Mhz. Uses very low pcu but I do have to set the speed step trip down form 95% to 50% or raid rsync just about kills video because at the lowest setting the bus speed is also reduced. The default 95% seems to be too high for most things. But at 50% it doesn't take much to kick it out of idle.

It does handle the mpeg2 stream in soft mode better then the gpu, but it runs the cores at 80-90%+ so not much head room left.
Vorgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 06:13 PM   #32
Vorgus
Registered User
 
Vorgus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 107
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by primerib View Post
Nope. You may want to make sure the broadcasts you plan on using are in fact mpeg2 before you make your purchase.
That would not be the US ATSC because in the US, ATSC is mpeg2. That is the standard set by the feds.
Vorgus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-10, 10:09 AM   #33
roger1818
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 10
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgus View Post
Athlon64 x2 4200Mhz. Uses very low pcu but I do have to set the speed step trip down form 95% to 50% or raid rsync just about kills video because at the lowest setting the bus speed is also reduced. The default 95% seems to be too high for most things. But at 50% it doesn't take much to kick it out of idle.
I have read about this problem. Apperently some AMD processors throttle the bus speed along with the CPU clock. They say to play with it to find a value that works well for you.

Quote:
It does handle the mpeg2 stream in soft mode better then the gpu, but it runs the cores at 80-90%+ so not much head room left.
Hmm. I wonder if the issue is the 8400 doesn't have enough horse power to both decode the HD MPEG stream and down convert it to SD. Have you tried it on a 1080p display to see if you get the same problems?

One question, you say in your previous post that you are using 1/2 spatial de-interlacing. Why bother de-interlacing at all if you are down converting to SD (which is interlaced)?
roger1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 03:24 PM   #34
primerib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgus View Post
That would not be the US ATSC because in the US, ATSC is mpeg2. That is the standard set by the feds.
The ATSC standard supports both mpeg2 and mpeg4 (ITU-T H.264). Also, the FCC regulates how communications are established, but not how those signals are compressed. You will never see the FCC enforcing the use of an audio or video codec. That's not the function of the FCC and they don't have the power to do it anyways.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 03:31 PM   #35
roger1818
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 10
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by primerib View Post
The ATSC standard supports both mpeg2 and mpeg4 (ITU-T H.264).
H.264 was only added in 2008 so to the best of my knowledge no TVs or set top boxes support it. For that reason alone, I can't imagine any broadcasters using it anytime soon, unless it is for mobile DTV, which requires a special decoder anyway..
roger1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 11:19 PM   #36
primerib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 128
Default Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?

It's not like it was kept a secret til the day it was added. It was common knowledge for a very long time before that. As a matter of fact, once it became blatantly obvious there was a high demand for hd content, neglecting to include h264 would've been idiotic.

All that aside, you should have a look at the following thread titled VDPAU testing tool. The results to tons of video cards have been posted there and it should help you figure out what best suits your needs.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xorg locks-up with newest nvidia drivers w/ vdpau. theroot NVIDIA Linux 1 06-24-12 12:04 PM
NVIDIA VDPAU Reference Benchmarks News Archived News Items 0 06-11-12 06:30 AM
VDPAU and KDE 4.8 compositing = slow Pie-rate NVIDIA Linux 30 05-23-12 08:07 AM
VDPAU testing tool crisalide NVIDIA Linux 392 04-29-12 07:01 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.