Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-26-10, 10:12 PM   #1
onmikesline

Default SpeedTest.com

Hey guys, im moving from 15mbps to 30mbps. you think its worth it for online gaming? just wanted to get feedback on your speeds, this is what im getting right now

So whats your Speedtest?
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 08:21 AM   #2
Bearclaw

Default Re: SpeedTest.com

I wouldn't think it's worth it, especially with how the companies shaft us with pricing in this country. I doubt you would ever fully utilize 30.

Here's mine:
Old 04-27-10, 12:12 PM   #3
frenchy2k1

30Mbps will not be useful for gaming. Gaming needs reasonable bandwidth (~3Mbps) and low pings.
It would only be useful if you share that connection with a lot of people while gaming.
Old 04-27-10, 12:31 PM   #4
onmikesline

yeah i do, my wife streams video when im gaming. i see my ping jump alot
Old 04-27-10, 01:39 PM   #5
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmikesline View Post
yeah i do, my wife streams video when im gaming. i see my ping jump alot
Hmm, you might want to look into a few other things first. Going from 16/2 to the 30/7 package would require a new modem, but would also get you channel bonding. Even if you don't goto the larger package I would suggest getting a DOCSIS 3.0 modem like the motorola SB6120. Pretty sure you'll still get channel bonding so you'll have better powerboost.

That said, you should try to do a little more testing to make sure it is in fact the video streaming that is causing the issue. It's possible you have an old router that can't handle the connections and just getting a newer router could clear up issues.

What I would do is get the IP of the server you're going to be playing on. Pop open a command prompt and type ping *server ip* -t That will keep the pings going until you hit ctrl + C to stop them. Get a baseline first without any video streaming. Do this at different times of the day to see if maybe it's just a network issue that is out of your control. If everything checks out and you have nice stable pings, then I would try to add the streaming and see if it affects your pings or not.

It's not likely that a video stream could eat all of your bandwidth, so I'm leaning against that being the issue. You can always use the networking monitor in task manager to get the percentage, then convert that into an actual number of kbps.

More info is always helpful as well. One thing to note is that if you're looking at your ping while inside of the game, some games include processing time in their numbers. For instance in Call of Duty 2 on a lan all pings are going to be < 1 ms. In game they show up as 30ms or more because of the server tick rate, as well as the clients overhead. I've actually noticed that when you're sitting on the fps cap in COD2 you will have much better pings than if you are not. It might show 30 - 40 ms if I'm not on the cap, and 10ms if I am on the frame cap. This is why I suggest using the command prompt with nothing else loaded as it removes another variable from the equation.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 05:00 PM   #6
onmikesline

yeah im waiting for usps to drop off my DOCSIS 3.0, it should be here this week, my modem has been dropping connection alot, so i have to restart it everyday. it was only 10bucks more a month to get 30mbps then the 15mbps so comcast is sending me a new modem the "DOCSIS 3.0''. i do alot of downloading, but i will try command prompt right now and play around with it a few days to see
Old 04-27-10, 06:17 PM   #7
Bman212121

Quote:
yeah im waiting for usps to drop off my DOCSIS 3.0, it should be here this week, my modem has been dropping connection alot, so i have to restart it everyday. it was only 10bucks more a month to get 30mbps then the 15mbps so comcast is sending me a new modem the "DOCSIS 3.0''. i do alot of downloading, but i will try command prompt right now and play around with it a few days to see
If they are torrents I think Comcast is still playing games. That might be causing some of the issues, and they also create a larger number of connections. I assume you don't download anything while you're playing a game though.
Old 04-27-10, 08:04 PM   #8
onmikesline

i would like to. well it comes tomorrow, ill give it a try with the new modem and hope it will clear things up, if i dont see much of a improvement in speeds, ill just lower it back to 15, and keep the DOCSIS 3.0. i just got a new house and it was built in 2005. they said that i have fiber optics and my old modem is to slow for it lol, im just repeating what he said to me so...

Old 04-27-10, 08:20 PM   #9
Bman212121

Quote:
i would like to. well it comes tomorrow, ill give it a try with the new modem and hope it will clear things up, if i dont see much of a improvement in speeds, ill just lower it back to 15, and keep the DOCSIS 3.0. i just got a new house and it was built in 2005. they said that i have fiber optics and my old modem is to slow for it lol, im just repeating what he said to me so...
Yea they've had fiber optics for a while now lol. The main difference now is channel bonding.

If you had an over congested node that could cause slowdowns when your neighbors are using all of the bandwidth. With DOCSIS 2.0 there might be 30+ users all sharing 1 40mbit channel. (I'm not entirely sure of the numbers) So if a few people are downloading it could slow everyone down on that node.

With DOCSIS 3.0 your modem can take 2 or more (from what I've seen you'll get 3) channels and pull bandwidth from each. So if someone is hogging all of the bandwidth on one channel your modem should be able to find another source. The channels are locked though so it won't just randomly keep switching until it finds one, but it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-30-10, 04:36 AM   #10
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Quote:
Its too bad I dont work for conca$t anymore - one of the areas I services was WPB, dade county/miami; I cdould've hooked you up

Anyways, I would take a look at your modem logs for T1/T3/T4 timeouts and signal levels to make sure thats not the issue.

DOCSIS 3.0 modems are actually alot more picky about signal levels than DOCSIS 2/1 modems, so the problem may actually get worse after the swap...

Check your DS/US levels and the SNR.... Heres a little reference of acceptable levels...

Downstream Power Level (DS): -8dBmV to 9dBmV
Upstream Power Level (US): 35dBmV to 48dBmV

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): Anything over 34dB, the higher the better.

Also, check during the morning/day/evening for variances. Check when humidity is high/low and when its raining as these things affect the signal and can affect performance.

For accessing modem readouts: http://192.168.100.1

If you find that your modem has bad readouts, check your cable boxes (if you have one) and see if they have similar readouts - if they do, then call support and get a tech out there.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote