Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-30-10, 09:54 PM   #97
JohnDio

Default Re: Official Splinter Cell Conviction Thread

Just as i thought, it is an un-optimized POS. Getting 36fps in the menus and 30fps in the first mission (in front of the cafeteria). Performance is the same whether i have 1600x1200 with 8xCSAA or 800x600 without FSAA. This shows a CPU limitation, so let's see some graphs:

Here is the multicore usage. It is really disappointing to say the least, especially when the damn game seems to be CPU limited (yet it doesn't take full advantage of the quadcores to overcome this limitation).

Here is an interesting spot. I was getting 23fps in this particular scene (regardless of resolution and FSAA. Yeah, there is low GPU usage cause i used a really low resolution)

And now, let's see the CPU usage in that particular scene (it is cycled)

There you have it. 50-55% CPU usage in a scene at a really low res, without FSAA and with only 23fps (the same fps when also using 1600x1200 + 8xCSAA).

So if you have anything less than a I7, the game will run 'acceptable'. Clearly though, this is an un-optimized POS as it needs a I7 to run smoothly. Ubisoft seems to have really sh!ty 'porters'
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 10:35 PM   #98
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
I thought I was in the Splinter Cell thread, my mistake.

Gamespot gave it 6.5, listing DRM and lack of communication in co-op games as the major factors for its lower score than consoles.
The lack of coop communication is definitely BS and deserves a mark off the score.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 10:36 PM   #99
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
6.5 sounds about right for a very short Gears clone.
It is nothing like Gears of War, stop spreading idiocy.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 04-30-10, 11:18 PM   #100
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
How is the DRM? Same old bull**** for a SC game?
Copy protection lasted A SINGLE DAY! Hopefully this will make them remove this bullsh*t...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 12:34 AM   #101
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Ok the instant fail mission was terrible. What the **** are ubisoft thinking putting in a mission that instant fails if you are a)spotted b)seen on camera c)shoot camera d)leave body in view of moving camera. It's just insulting to not be able to move a body when the camera slowly comes around and finds it right on the end of the arc.

Instant fail may make sense from a story or realistic perspective but it does not work in a game. Dumb, dumb, dumb. This game is sitting at about 7/10 for me now.

Also good to see cutscenes on the PC look worse than the actual game itself.
Old 05-01-10, 01:26 AM   #102
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
Ok the instant fail mission was terrible. What the **** are ubisoft thinking putting in a mission that instant fails if you are a)spotted b)seen on camera c)shoot camera d)leave body in view of moving camera. It's just insulting to not be able to move a body when the camera slowly comes around and finds it right on the end of the arc.
That was my favorite mission, because you HAD to be stealthy.

Also it doesn't last for long, the insta-fail section is really only the parking lot.

Old 05-01-10, 01:37 AM   #103
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

yeah, also my favorite, that was the only true Splinter Cell mission design
Old 05-01-10, 08:23 AM   #104
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Bought it on Steam. Feedback seemed better than expected
Play it on realistic, mouse aim and high health make it was too easy otherwise, and too much of a shooter.

Old 05-01-10, 09:08 PM   #105
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Finished the story on realistic, pretty underwhelming. End levels weren't too hard just required better use of the mark and execute feature. Definitely prefer chaos theory and the original to this one (i haven't played pandoras or double agent). Single player took me about 7 hours to get through on realistic.

Tried some multiplayer took a while to find a game and only did Last Stand which seemed like a boring mode. It was very laggy with the controls being very slow and unresponsive.
Old 05-01-10, 11:59 PM   #106
dikinher
Grab em!

Reading about the performance issues with this game makes me regret buying this game now. It'll be delivered to my door on Monday. I'll just finish this game and sell it here for a cheap as price.
Old 05-02-10, 12:21 AM   #107
dikinher
Grab em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDio View Post
Just as i thought, it is an un-optimized POS. Getting 36fps in the menus and 30fps in the first mission (in front of the cafeteria). Performance is the same whether i have 1600x1200 with 8xCSAA or 800x600 without FSAA. This shows a CPU limitation, so let's see some graphs:

[snip]
Here is the multicore usage. It is really disappointing to say the least, especially when the damn game seems to be CPU limited (yet it doesn't take full advantage of the quadcores to overcome this limitation).

Here is an interesting spot. I was getting 23fps in this particular scene (regardless of resolution and FSAA. Yeah, there is low GPU usage cause i used a really low resolution)
[snip]

And now, let's see the CPU usage in that particular scene (it is cycled)
[snip]

There you have it. 50-55% CPU usage in a scene at a really low res, without FSAA and with only 23fps (the same fps when also using 1600x1200 + 8xCSAA).

So if you have anything less than a I7, the game will run 'acceptable'. Clearly though, this is an un-optimized POS as it needs a I7 to run smoothly. Ubisoft seems to have really sh!ty 'porters'
I read in the Ubisoft forums that alt+tab fixes the low fps issue temporarily. Apparently it's a memory leak issue.
Old 05-02-10, 06:36 AM   #108
JohnDio

You see those spikes in the graphs? Those were when i was alt-tabbing. I took that screenshot of 23fps after two alt+tabs. It's not just memory leaks, this is simply a POS
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote