Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-10, 10:35 AM   #13
Arup

Default Re: Installing nvidia driver on Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
I dont have since i use Debian... But i did mess up a few times in Ubuntu my dependencies by adding various PPAs that offered updates for key system packages out of the main repositories. I had to redo everything steb by step.
I reckon apt-pinning might help, but the problem is that everything is just put in "main" and filtering packages from larger repos is time consuming.

Yes this is the official Ubuntu X team ppa, they have stable and a cutting edge ppa just for that reason.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 01:04 PM   #14
gfxdrone

I believe sgfxi is working fine on karmic and lucid, though I don't do much testing on those. All the steps above are automated, as is card detection etc.

In other words, this is the sum total of steps you should need to run for nvidia:

Code:
cd /usr/local/bin/ && wget -Nc smxi.org/sgfxi && chmod +x sgfxi && sgfxi -c
You can do this in X, and when sgfxi starts, it will just complain about x running and exit, then you can drop to terminal.

And that's only the first time you grab it, it updates itself always to latest version when you start it, if required, so after the above, this is the sum total of steps / commands you should need to run:
Code:
sgfxi -c
the -c is for setting composite true in xorg.conf, if you don't want composite, or if it's an old legacy card that doesn't handle it, you don't need it, but sgfxi will turn that off for legacy cards automatically I think. There was some discussion of making composite default, not sure about that yet.

Must be run out of X because the nvidia installer won't permit installing while X is running.

sgfxi -B tests for and installs latest beta nvidia, if available, if it's not, it simply reverts to the latest nvidia driver for your card type.

Any failures or additional steps that might be required are considered sgfxi bugs, and should be reported to the script forums.

I'm not testing very heavily with dkms, and the modeset blacklists are fairly new and may need to be expanded, since I only use dkms for testing, never in standard use, I can't really keep up on that nasty mess.
gfxdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 02:32 PM   #15
zim2dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
Yes this is the official Ubuntu X team ppa, they have stable and a cutting edge ppa just for that reason.
Still nothing (that I see) for Karmic. We'll see how current they stay for Lucid.
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 08:04 PM   #16
Arup

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
Still nothing (that I see) for Karmic. We'll see how current they stay for Lucid.
Yep, I am watching as well, they have been very lazy with updates in past forcing users to install via manual way or from other PPAs, if they slack off, we all need to complain. See Ubuntu devs will bitch and moan about not using the manual way and yet, they will retain buggy old drivers in their repos and ppa, thats the paradox, they cite stability issue, I say its just lassitude, they would rather do silly plymouth for a 9 seconds boot process.
Old 05-06-10, 02:29 AM   #17
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
Yep, I am watching as well, they have been very lazy with updates in past forcing users to install via manual way or from other PPAs, if they slack off, we all need to complain. See Ubuntu devs will bitch and moan about not using the manual way and yet, they will retain buggy old drivers in their repos and ppa, thats the paradox, they cite stability issue, I say its just lassitude, they would rather do silly plymouth for a 9 seconds boot process.
The ubuntu version philosophy is, as already stated, that a version is _not_ updated during a release cycle, only bug fix / minor releases are taken into the official repositories. This applies for all packages, examples are the KDE desktop, the Gnome desktop, OpenOffice, or Mozilla thunderbird (that was the reason as well that there was no official thunderbird 3 for ubuntu karmic, which "forced" users to use unstable third party repos for this, which created tons of problems)

I am not happy with this either, this is why I (despite officially supporting ubuntu) am using a different distribution for myself.

This said, if you are that unhappy with ubuntus package philosophy or ways of handling things, why don't you use one of the dozens of other distributions out there?

Because I really don't think that a small bunch of complaining users will change such a major decision made by canonical. If it would, then a ton of complaining users would have changed decisions like the new "visual design" decision in lucid. However, if you think that complaining helps, go ahead and complain. I recommend you do so at launchpad, which is public _and_ read by official canonical staff.

Kind regards,

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 03:03 AM   #18
Arup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
The ubuntu version philosophy is, as already stated, that a version is _not_ updated during a release cycle, only bug fix / minor releases are taken into the official repositories. This applies for all packages, examples are the KDE desktop, the Gnome desktop, OpenOffice, or Mozilla thunderbird (that was the reason as well that there was no official thunderbird 3 for ubuntu karmic, which "forced" users to use unstable third party repos for this, which created tons of problems)

I am not happy with this either, this is why I (despite officially supporting ubuntu) am using a different distribution for myself.

This said, if you are that unhappy with ubuntus package philosophy or ways of handling things, why don't you use one of the dozens of other distributions out there?

Because I really don't think that a small bunch of complaining users will change such a major decision made by canonical. If it would, then a ton of complaining users would have changed decisions like the new "visual design" decision in lucid. However, if you think that complaining helps, go ahead and complain. I recommend you do so at launchpad, which is public _and_ read by official canonical staff.

Kind regards,

Fuchs
I don't have any substitute for Ubuntu unfortunately so can't change, I changed from SuSE and PCLOS and this is what I have settled in, I have been a Linux user since 1999 starting with SuSE and finally since version Hardy, settling permanently for Ubuntu.

Now the question here is that LTS is long term release, many will make it run till next three years so why cripple them with a three year old driver really.

As for complaints, if you go to Ubuntu forums, the video issue is the biggest complaint right now with Lucid, specially the nvidia video issue, updated X PPA would do well for Ubuntu's future, unlike other software, its quite important to keep the latest drivers for video cards, its one of the most important aspects of an OS. Putting up with a 3 year old driver is really not a good prospect really.
Old 05-06-10, 07:28 AM   #19
zim2dive

Its one thing for Ubuntu to not keep up with the drivers, up til now we've always been able to fill in that (sometimes glaring) gap. I'm still not clear as to how much harder Lucid has made our job w.r.t. keeping up with the latest drivers, which is why I think the instructions in this thread (and others like it) are vitally important so we can figure out whether this is a minor inconvenience or a major roadblock. (I begin to feel like ubuntu thinks I must have AOL as my ISP)

Perhaps it will be time to move on to some other distro... will have to wait and see.
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 07:59 AM   #20
Arup

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
Its one thing for Ubuntu to not keep up with the drivers, up til now we've always been able to fill in that (sometimes glaring) gap. I'm still not clear as to how much harder Lucid has made our job w.r.t. keeping up with the latest drivers, which is why I think the instructions in this thread (and others like it) are vitally important so we can figure out whether this is a minor inconvenience or a major roadblock. (I begin to feel like ubuntu thinks I must have AOL as my ISP)

Perhaps it will be time to move on to some other distro... will have to wait and see.
As long as you can install the driver manually, there is no reason to move on, when thats not possible and we would be forced to accept older drivers without any other resort, thats the time to look elsewhere.

Old 05-11-10, 06:24 PM   #21
ledoc

Just for the record, 195.36.24 hit unstable today.

Just i386 for now, but I think I saw amd64 packages in incoming.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 01:07 PM   #22
mocharhw

As a related issue, I upgraded a Debian testing box to unstable and ran into these problems. They want to load the nouveau driver and it prevents a manual installation of Nvidia drivers. So you have to blacklist the nouveau module, stop gdm, then do the manual Nvidia install.
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 08:24 PM   #23
Arup

Somebody at team X is listening, just after a day of release of the 256 series nvidia beta drivers, the X Swat PPA has been updated to them as well, thank you whosoever it is, truly appreciated here.