Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-10, 05:09 AM   #1
fettouhi

Default KDE desktop effects not working with latest driver and 9800 GT card

I'm running KDE 4.4.2 on Arch Linux (64 bit, KDEmod) and I've recently switched to running xorg (1.7.7) without an xorg.conf because I was having big issues with scrolling in firefox. Since then I can't start desktop effects at all but scrolling is fine. I was under the impression that the newer nvidia driver has Composite turned on automatically? When I try to start desktop effects I get an error saying that "composite is in use by another program".
fettouhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 02:34 PM   #2
yamane

Default Re: KDE desktop effects not working with latest driver and 9800 GT card

Same problem with Kernel 2.6.32.12, X.org 1.7.6.901 and driver 195.36.24 over Debian Squeeze (testing) and KDE 4.3.4

My graphic card is NVidia Quadro NVS 140M (Lenovo Thinkpad T61)

None effect working anymore and sometimes, after I type user and password on KDM, the screen hangs with white color. I need go to CTRL+ALT+F1 and restart kdm.
yamane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 03:00 PM   #3
gradinaruvasile

I use Squeeze Gnome, i have absolutely no problems.

But beware of certain caveats that occur on these permanently updated versions like Debian testing, sid etc:

xorg/xserver is updated now and then. Xserver has some glx-related components that are in fact replaced by the nvidia installer. When updating the xserver-xorg-core and some other packages, the system writes its own version of these files.
One of the overwritten files is

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

So, every xserver (packages xserver-xorg-core et al) update requires the reinstallation of the driver.

Simple test if your system is lost glx is running "glxinfo" in the terminal or launching nvidia-settings and click on "OpenGL/GLX Information" - if it is blank, you must reinstall the driver.

I dont use compositing at all (disabled in xorg.conf) but if you use it, probably x will crash in these cases.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 07:14 PM   #4
yamane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
I use Squeeze Gnome, i have absolutely no problems.

Simple test if your system is lost glx is running "glxinfo" in the terminal or launching nvidia-settings and click on "OpenGL/GLX Information" - if it is blank, you must reinstall the driver.

I dont use compositing at all (disabled in xorg.conf) but if you use it, probably x will crash in these cases.
Thank you so much!
My "OpnGL/GLX Information" was empty!
I just reinstall the driver and now all is working fine!
yamane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 04:58 AM   #5
wantilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
I'm running KDE 4.4.2 on Arch Linux (64 bit, KDEmod) and I've recently switched to running xorg (1.7.7) without an xorg.conf because I was having big issues with scrolling in firefox. Since then I can't start desktop effects at all but scrolling is fine. I was under the impression that the newer nvidia driver has Composite turned on automatically? When I try to start desktop effects I get an error saying that "composite is in use by another program".
Runnig Arch amd64, stock xorg from extra, stock KDE 4.4.3 from extra, with nVidia 9800GT, with latest stock driver from testing, and having no problem.

Ditch KDEmod and run stock KDE from extra.

KDEmod is broken and buggy, and since the meta-packaging of KDE 4.x, has no reason to exist.

However, you do need a minimal xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"My Graphics Card"
	Driver		"nvidia"
EndSection
wantilles is offline   Reply With Quote