Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-28-10, 11:30 PM   #1
Alejandro Nova

Default Unbug report - RegistryDwords working! [GeForce 6 & 7]

Hello everyone.

I only wish to report that, unlike all advice to the contrary (which I faithfully believe for GeForce 8+) the RegistryDwords chain of settings (including PowerMizer control) is working here, in my GeForce 6150 laptop, and (this is what makes this strange) 195.36.18 driver. As soon as it reaches my repos, I will test with 195.36.24, but all indicates that it's going to work.

By working, I mean: a) NVIDIA-settings behaving strangely, but reporting accurate core speeds with PowerMizer enabled via RegistryDwords; b) being able to configure the power behaviour with RegistryDwords keys; c) feeling speed differences and d) checking the wattage savings with PowerTOP.

Will this feature come back for GeForce 8+ owners? Why is it working here, despite its official deprecation? Is GeForce 6 and 7 support already in maintenance mode? I also leave the info here, because there are a lot of 6150 and 7100 owners who could benefit of knowing that despite all evidence to the contrary, RegistryDwords still works with the latest NVIDIA driver.

Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 04-28-10 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Clarify title.
Alejandro Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 04:21 PM   #2
Alejandro Nova

Default Re: Unbug report - RegistryDwords working! [GeForce 6 & 7]

Also, and this makes all better, InitialPixmapPlacement = 2 is rock solid with the latest NVidia driver and 6150. Remember that for 6150 the default option is InitialPixmapPlacement = 1 (until recently it wasn't stable), so you must set manually InitialPixmapPlacement through nvidia-settings. I gained 10% better performance, measured with gtkperf.
Alejandro Nova is offline   Reply With Quote