Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-07-10, 05:50 PM   #1
SERGYI

Default Problem with static index buffer in OpenGL with drivers 195.36.15 and 195.36.24

Hello! Under Linux (Fedora 12, Ubuntu 9.04) with NVIDIA drivers 195.36.15 / 195.36.24 I have encountered with crash using static index buffer in OpenGL. There were no problems with previous driver versions. I created test application which drew simple procedural mesh. When it was using dynamic vertex and index buffers everything seemed ok. It was possible to use any vertex format / size, arbitrary vertex buffer size, any index element size (word or dword), and any index buffer size. Using static vertex and index buffers seemed also ok at first. But after increasing static index buffer from 30 to 36 indices and calling "glDrawElements" function, Linux desktop screen blinks several times and the whole Linux system hangs, only hardware reset helps. Like with dynamic geometry, it was possible to use static vertex buffer of any size and any vertex format /size. Also it was possible to read from any place of the static vertex buffer. The problem was only with index elements count: 30 elements and everything were ok, 36 - Linux system hanged. After further investigation and reports from our customers it has become evident that the problem with static index buffer presents in NVIDIA drivers 195.36.15 and 195.36.24 for any Linux version. To help find out that problem I have written tiny application “Static Buffers” with Net Beans IDE project (has been attached to this post). To encounter the issue, change value of the global constant “g_TrisCount” from 10 to 12 (actually any value equal and above 11).
Attached Files
File Type: zip StaticBuffers.zip (9.9 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by SERGYI; 05-09-10 at 01:46 AM.
SERGYI is offline   Reply With Quote