Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-10, 01:27 PM   #1
lambiam

Default Newbie needs VDPAU Libs/HDMI audio out help!???

Hi Everyone.

I'm completely new to Linux and am having problems with jittery HD video playback in Boxee... I believe it is dropping frames and I was told on another forum to install the libvdpau ? How do I do this? I've searched all over and got no answers I understand. I tried sudo apt-get install libvdpau-dev and it installed something, but then all my video playback was killed and I completely reinstalled the OS because I had no idea on how to fix the problem.

I'm using Lucid 10.04 with a Zotac IonITX F-E motherboard and I used system>hardware drivers to install the latest nVidia Driver...

Also, is there an HDMI Audio Driver for Linux? In my Zotac manual it says it comes with the Install CD, but on their website there is no option for Linux. I do not have a CD drive so installing via CD is not available.

As I said I'm completely new to Linux and feel a little overwhelmed right now...I've search all over google for VDPAU info and I'm still confused....All help is appreciated.

Last edited by lambiam; 05-08-10 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Add details
lambiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 10:31 AM   #2
Stephen Warren

Default Re: Newbie needs VDPAU Libs/HDMI audio out help!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambiam View Post
I tried sudo apt-get install libvdpau-dev and it installed something, but then all my video playback was killed and I completely reinstalled the OS because I had no idea on how to fix the problem.
For future reference, the following probably would have solved it:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge libvdpau-dev libvdpau
Can you please describe the problems you were having with VDPAU installed in more detail. Please also see the sticky posts in this forum for some debugging steps and information that'll allow people to help you better.

Quote:
Also, is there an HDMI Audio Driver for Linux?
I thought it was simply built into the kernel these days. However, I'm really very unfamiliar with this aspect of our GPUs.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 11:05 AM   #3
lambiam

After I installed the libvdpau1 file from the package manager, during video playback, the screen is black and in boxee, the video timer just bounces from :00 to :01. When I remove the libvdpau1, video plays normal, except for the slight jitter in the 720p content that was there to begin with.

And how do I output a debug log?
lambiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 11:38 AM   #4
primerib

Quote:
Also, is there an HDMI Audio Driver for Linux? In my Zotac manual it says it comes with the Install CD, but on their website there is no option for Linux. I do not have a CD drive so installing via CD is not available.
It was rewritten and the new code has been in alsa git for some time. You should see it in kernel 2.6.34.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 11:25 AM   #5
Stephen Warren

Quote:
After I installed the libvdpau1 file from the package manager, during video playback, the screen is black and in boxee, the video timer just bounces from :00 to :01.
Honestly, I'd try to find help in Boxee or XBMC forums for this; that kind of symptom sounds like it's pretty far removed from the VDPAU driver.

Alternatively, can you try using MPlayer with VDPAU; that will at least tell you whether there's a problem with the driver (or driver install), or whether the problem is within Boxee (i.e. if MPlayer works fine).
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote