Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-09-10, 08:53 PM   #49
smashingpunk009
FTW

Default Re: New screen shots of ID's Rage

Super low res textures from a game engine that uses something called "mega" texture, oh the irony...

Hopefully the gameplay is good, the only people the game has been shown to so far are the console "journalists" and they seem to like it, but what don't they like.
smashingpunk009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 09:33 AM   #50
josiahsuarez

LOL, this guys left foot is clipping into the floor:

hopefully that's just because the game is unfinished. but you'd think they would review these screenshots a little more closely before releasing them...
josiahsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 09:44 AM   #51
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahsuarez View Post

hopefully that's just because the game is unfinished. but you'd think they would review these screenshots a little more closely before releasing them...
Maybe he's stepping in a puddle of mercury?

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 10:49 AM   #52
FlakMagnet

When I first read about mega textures I thought it was a great idea - no more tiling and every single part of a 'map' could be unique in its texturing.

But seeing that these mega textures are so vast and don't look too great up-close, I'm beginning to think that you get a better looking game doing things the 'old fashion way'. OK, so you get some repeating textures and the odd 'join', but overall the games look better and more detailed.

The models in those screenshots also look shocking IMO. The polly count looks as if it's on a par with Doom III (really sharp edges on what should be more rounded - legs and arms for example). I guess that's what you get when things are designed to run primarily on a console

I don't think there is any hope of 3D Vision support either. As far as I know, 3D Vision only works on DirectX (but willing to be proved wrong ).

<edit>OK, so it seems 3D Vision DOES work with OpenGL. At least that's something to look forward to then.</edit>
2xSamsung 7200 750GB RAID 0| Akasa Eclipse 62
FlakMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 12:08 PM   #53
josiahsuarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Maybe he's stepping in a puddle of mercury?
hah, or maybe the meteor just made one of his feet mutate into a half foot. now that I mention it how is it that a meteor created mutants anyway? it's like they just took a bunch of movie cliches and mixed them together.
Old 05-11-10, 12:10 PM   #54
HiCZoK4

Looks nice and good. Dont give a crap about noclip foot. Its normal and impossible to avoid with current technology in gaming.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 12:29 PM   #55
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahsuarez View Post

True but there are a ton of games that don't do clipping right. It's a real problem in games and it seems to be overlooked why too much.

I must admit, clipping is terrible in Just Cause 2, your parachute goes straight through city road ways and trees.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 04:36 PM   #56
josiahsuarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
True but there are a ton of games that don't do clipping right. It's a real problem in games and it seems to be overlooked why too much.
that's true. I suppose, considering this game is being developed with consoles in mind, I should be thankful the characters even have feet. although they still don't have any hair which is another common problem in games.

Old 05-11-10, 04:54 PM   #57
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Yeah man. Since this was made with consoles in mind we are lucky it has color. RITE? RITE? Freaking idiots.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 06:51 PM   #58
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlippo View Post
That is pretty much impossible.
The game has already texture sizes ranging from 32kx32k to 128kx128k textures which have GI baked on.

Releasing the game with bigger textures on PC would mean that it would take even more space and that they would re-render them in higher resolution.
Rendering GI for the scene in resolution around 128000x128000 image is not fast.

The lighting is pretty much perfect in the environments and pretty much looks stable without that horrible crawling of light and shadows.

Considering that there is no console game which has more texture data I do wonder this comment.
Actually I'm pretty sure that only game which games currently close in textures are flight simulators with texture packs.
Baked GI?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 03:16 AM   #59
FlakMagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Yeah man. Since this was made with consoles in mind we are lucky it has color. RITE? RITE? Freaking idiots.
That's a bit harsh Mr.Hunt! I think it's quite reasonable to think the game will be designed and developed with the console 'restrictions' in mind.
2xSamsung 7200 750GB RAID 0| Akasa Eclipse 62
FlakMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 09:06 AM   #60
Sgt_Pitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
Looks nice and good. Dont give a crap about noclip foot. Its normal and impossible to avoid with current technology in gaming.
+1