Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-25-10, 02:06 AM   #13
boxleitnerb

Default Re: Fullscreen-SG/RGSSAA with Fermi via TRSSAA (OGL, D3D10/11)?

Didn't the normal OGSSAA modes work in OpenGL before?
Edit: No, they didn't. But the combined modes did, like 32xS (If nhancer reports that correctly).
boxleitnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 06:53 PM   #14
tdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Everything to the highest in game @ 1920x1080 with 8xAA and 8xTRSSAA forced in the CP.
What kind of fps are we talking about.

Is it playable 4xAA 4xTRSSAA or 2xAA 2xTRSSAA?
tdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 07:42 PM   #15
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
Didn't the normal OGSSAA modes work in OpenGL before?
Edit: No, they didn't. But the combined modes did, like 32xS (If nhancer reports that correctly).
As far as i know, only the ATI 5 series managed to get R/SGSSAA in BC2. I dont think there are any SSAA for those with nvidia cards or older ATI cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdream View Post
What kind of fps are we talking about.

Is it playable 4xAA 4xTRSSAA or 2xAA 2xTRSSAA?
There are no 4xTRSSAA nor 2xTRSSAA, there is multi and super- sampled transparency anti-aliasing. Supersampling is something else.

Am looking into the Bc2 thing, i want SSAA for this game, regular AA is close to noneffective and i hate the jaggies.
Old 05-16-10, 06:14 PM   #16
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Right now, there's a "bug" in the drivers that applies SSAA over the whole image once you choose transparency AA in a Fermi card.
What? that doesn't make any sense... These are 2 different techniques.. Tsaa and SSAA. SSAA renders the picture in twise, third and quad the resolution of choice and then downsamples it. TSAA applies anti-aliasing to alpha/transparent textures. How could they get mixed up lol.

Any other way to get SSAA in Bad company 2?
Old 05-16-10, 06:59 PM   #17
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetdjuret View Post
What? that doesn't make any sense... These are 2 different techniques.. Tsaa and SSAA. SSAA renders the picture in twise, third and quad the resolution of choice and then downsamples it. TSAA applies anti-aliasing to alpha/transparent textures. How could they get mixed up lol.

Any other way to get SSAA in Bad company 2?
Dunno why it's happening but it is. If you want SSAA in BFBC2 just put transparancy to whatever level or SSAA you want and then in the in-game settings set the AA to the same number.

For instance set TSAA to x2 and the in-game AA to x2, and so on.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 10:22 PM   #18
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:
Dunno why it's happening but it is. If you want SSAA in BFBC2 just put transparancy to whatever level or SSAA you want and then in the in-game settings set the AA to the same number.

For instance set TSAA to x2 and the in-game AA to x2, and so on.
But the comparison pics u posted doesn't have SSAA man, real 2x2 SSAA gives alot better quality on that fence than regular TSAA weather its multi or super. So it can't be SSAA dude.
Old 05-17-10, 01:15 AM   #19
jlippo

Quote:
They are not that different techniques.

The only big difference in MSAA and SSAA is that MSAA samples color information once per pixel and SSAA as many times as there are samples.
Transparency super sampling just samples transparent polygons with super sampling, but if one marks everything as 'transparent' youve got a pure supersample rendering.

This is most likely what is happenging current drivers and is the method that Amd is most likely using as well.

I just hope that it could be enabled with every game and with variable amount of super samples per pixel.
Meaning something like 16xAA with 2SSAA samples, 6MSAA samples and 8 CSAA samples.
This would give nice flexibility to get best possible performance/image quality for games.
CSAA samples with 'coming' TMAA for transparency, some MSAA to perfect the edges and little bit of SSAA to fix shaders and otherwise clean up the image.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 05:15 AM   #20
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

So TSAA uses supersampling for the alpha textures unlike regular MSAA that only samples the edges using no supersampling (downsampling)

Edit: it irritates me that both regular SSAA and the 2 modes for TSAA uses the word "supersampling" as in super and multi sampled TSAA along with the SSAA supersampling. Gets comfusing.

Old 05-17-10, 07:17 AM   #21
jlippo

Quote:
So TSAA uses supersampling for the alpha textures unlike regular MSAA that only samples the edges using no supersampling (downsampling)
Downsampling is a one way to get SSAA and shouldn't be confused to actually be the only way to get Super Sampling.
Super Sampling just means sampling something several times and taking average, actual sample locations can vary and so can subject what is being sampled.

MSAA doesn't actually find edges or only sample the edges of polygons.
It takes the Z-Samples everywhere, but it writes only one color sample for each pixel. (accurately said, it writes the same color to all subsamples which are within the polygon on that pixel.)
As there is no variation within pixel, only place we can see it's effects is on edges.

So basically MSAA is just a version of SSAA which writes one color to all subsamples.
Quote:
Edit: it irritates me that both regular SSAA and the 2 modes for TSAA uses the word "supersampling" as in super and multi sampled TSAA along with the SSAA supersampling. Gets comfusing.
Super sampling tells what kind of sampling is done, just like multi sampling and thus those terms are used, even with transparent methods.

Also Transparent multi sampled AA should be called TMAA or TMSAA..
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 09:12 AM   #22
Eltigre88
ASUS Lover!!!

Jesus I have a fricken headache from reading this thread......
MSI 680GTX Twin Frozr 4GD5/OC, Galaxy 680GTX 4GB GC SLI
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
ThermalTake ToughPower 850W PSU
Windows 8 Pro 64bit
16076 3dMark11 score
Eltigre88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 05:33 PM   #23
Bah!

Quote:
But the comparison pics u posted doesn't have SSAA man, real 2x2 SSAA gives alot better quality on that fence than regular TSAA weather its multi or super. So it can't be SSAA dude.
The pic does show SSAA. Look at the first screen again. Look at the barbed wire at the top, or the chain to the left or right of the sight. The part that's zoomed in only looks worse because it's in fact zoomed in.

You can try this in any game and it works. Or better yet just enable it and run a benchmark and look at the performance hit. I use it in most of my games now and you can definitely tell that it's sampling the entire screen and there is a dramatic quality difference between using the in-game AA settings and this bug. The hit is much higher than just using TSAA.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 02:33 AM   #24
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltigre88 View Post
Jesus I have a fricken headache from reading this thread......
Then why do you even enter a thread with the name SG/RGSSAA ?? if u dont know sh*t about the different types of anti-aliasing and supersampling/downsamplings.
Quote:
The pic does show SSAA. Look at the first screen again. Look at the barbed wire at the top, or the chain to the left or right of the sight. The part that's zoomed in only looks worse because it's in fact zoomed in.

You can try this in any game and it works. Or better yet just enable it and run a benchmark and look at the performance hit. I use it in most of my games now and you can definitely tell that it's sampling the entire screen and there is a dramatic quality difference between using the in-game AA settings and this bug. The hit is much higher than just using TSAA.
Ok, let me get this straight. For some reason, there is only a small difference in the two BC2 pics u posted. The difference is so small that it could just be regular TSAA. Because the experience i have from 2x2 and 3x2 SSAA is that the quality gets perfect for fences and transparent textures. Not just slightly better as in your pics. Also the real hard edge which is no a alpha texture in your pics, (the diagonal line, probably a part of the mountain-slope or something) isn't looking better than the first pic. TSAA does nothing to regular 3d object lines. That could also strengthen my theory that this isn't real SSAA, just TSAA. Can you take another comparison set of pics from another place in the game plz? Where u can see the trees which has alpha textures for its leaves and also the stem/strain which is 3d solid. So i can see the effect better than just from a sky+plain fence+slope. Need more to judge on.