Default Re: 260GTX nvidia-drivers-190.42-r3 - powermizer issue

bumping
mrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 11:03 AM   #62
gio___

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
The latter is ACPI related and, while understood, not yet resolved. Unfortunately, I can't estimate/speculate when a fixed driver may become available.
ouch, I've missed this part ...

Wait a moment... there are many laptops that have this problem, all notebooks that were high end computer when bought, around $ 2000 and which works properly only if there is the AC plugged in so far, and you came here saying the problem is known and understood? and does not assume any ETA for fixing?
WHAAAAAAATTTTT??

This thread has been opened the 11 Nov 2009 and still now anybody has done anything but say "oh yes we are aware of the problem ... but we are not planning to fix it ..."

that's incredible!
gio___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 12:50 PM   #63
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I did not state that NVIDIA has no plans to resolve the problem I referred to. It has also only been root-caused recently. Work towards resolving it is underway, but as always, there's the matter of resources and prioritization.

Further, if you're seeing differences in behavior with and w/o the power adapter plugged, you are likely seeing a different problem.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 08:40 AM   #64
mrn

bumping
Old 04-24-10, 08:15 AM   #65
gio___

a brief summary for those who do not want to read the whole thread:

1. X crash on battery power with XID error -> laptop cannot be used in battery mode
2. Nvidia-setting don't switch from AC to battery and from battery to AC when the notebook is powered on... (of course ACPI is good working)
3. no switch to 3d Freq. in powermizer
4. and last, but the most impressive, in "SUPPORTED DEVICES" is STILL PRESENT that crappy video card even if it's NOT WORKING

If I'm not wrong the 260m was launched on the market on March 3, 2009. Today is April 24, 2010. by now is an "old" video card... someone is still pretending to work on it? well done... but... sincerely, I don't believe it and I don't expect any improvement...

I will be happy to be contradicted by the release of new working drivers... or that will more probably never happen?

other threads covering the same subject:
by mrn: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142946
by jesmith: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150247

and here dankles has posted a screenshot where the card is working at the level 3 of powermizer but no more answer from him: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148471

Last edited by gio___; 04-28-10 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-26-10, 02:49 PM   #66
queen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander View Post
I did not state that NVIDIA has no plans to resolve the problem I referred to. It has also only been root-caused recently. Work towards resolving it is underway, but as always, there's the matter of resources and prioritization.

Further, if you're seeing differences in behavior with and w/o the power adapter plugged, you are likely seeing a different problem.
With all do respect guys, we (users) have been reporting problems with powermizer for a bit longer then 6 months and you haven't done much to solve it. For example I can give you to link to my other post, where I reported the issue. It was dated AUGUST 2008! Almost 2 years ago... so 6 moths doesn't really cover it up. You also didn't implement other requested - BASIC feature - like completely DISABLING that buggy feature.

It seems we can only keep dreaming.
queen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 05:40 PM   #67
lordmundi

just another vote and looking for a beta driver that fixes this issue on gtx 285m chipsets...

not sure if this is a dumb question, but why not push out a beta that lets users disable powermizer to work around the issue while the real fix gets pushed through?

anyways... hopefully we get a new driver soon that makes all this money we spent on these high end laptops worthwhile.
lordmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 07:35 AM   #68
gio___

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmundi View Post
just another vote and looking for a beta driver that fixes this issue on gtx 285m chipsets...

not sure if this is a dumb question, but why not push out a beta that lets users disable powermizer to work around the issue while the real fix gets pushed through?

anyways... hopefully we get a new driver soon that makes all this money we spent on these high end laptops worthwhile.
I can't be so hopeful... in several months I have seen absolutely no improvement... only unpleasant responses from people who sign shows "NVIDIA Corporation", from Aaronp (on IRC: irc.freenode.net, #nvidia) to Zander (here on nvnews) who speaks of priorities talking about a problem on a video card launched over a year ago.

Old 05-11-10, 01:04 AM   #69
mrn

bumping
Old 05-18-10, 11:35 PM   #70
zyell

It would be nice to know what progress has been made by nvidia on this issue. Please comment. This is not only an aggravating issue, but we have all invested a great deal of money in these graphics cards and would very much like to realize their full potential ASAP. Thank you.
zyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 04:47 AM   #71
cedric.s

someone know how many nvidia developers work on linux driver ? it seems there is a lack of staff to work on it....
cedric.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 04:31 AM   #72
gio___

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyell View Post
It would be nice to know what progress has been made by nvidia on this issue. Please comment. This is not only an aggravating issue, but we have all invested a great deal of money in these graphics cards and would very much like to realize their full potential ASAP. Thank you.

You are assuming that someone is working on the problem. But it's obviously wrong, because in over a year there was no progress.

Quote:
someone know how many nvidia developers work on linux driver ? it seems there is a lack of staff to work on it....
In my opinion it is not the lack of staff but the bad work and trying to patch a core that is not working properly