Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-19-10, 04:11 PM   #1
ZicoTheTux

Default VDPAU kills my machine...

... and since no one will believe me, I made a video!

Hey folks,

Just today I got a brand new TFT and I only wanted to watch some videos. 16:9 - Fullscreen glory. I used VDPAU as the Video output for mplayer (which I use via smplayer).

I start the video, I press the Fullscreen button and BAM! the PC restarts. Yes, it RESTARTS. It does not shut down, it does not generate an error - it behaves as if you press the RESET button on the PC itself.

And here's the proof:
http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/vdpau_doublekill.AVI

What I do on the video:
- Have Options screen open to show the VDPAU output selection (which you cannot see since my Powershot sucks on Video)
- I select a movie and play it
- I press the Fullscreen button
Now the screen goes black and next you see is the POST screen.

Using xv as output does not produce this problem. Even if switching to fullscreen 30 times and back. Making the switch more often let me trigger this problem more efficiently. Sometimes it does not happen at the first time. You were lucky my camera caught it right now.

I RANDOMLY encountered this on some Flash websites eons ago but it seemed to resolve with a new driver version.

Oh - the best thing is:
Once when it reset, the PC went totally quiet - powered off. And it did not came up again for nearly 10 minutes. Pressing the Power button on the PC did NOT help - didn't do anything.... I needed to wait, and suddenly the machine powered up again.

So what am I dealing with? Defective hardware? Why does it trigger the defective hardware if VDPAU is active? And WHICH PART of my hardware is defective? Or can THAT be caused by the driver? Which does not explain WHY the machine restarts... nothing does...

I hope for help.

P.S. Bug report attached...

Best regards,
Christian

EDIT: I can at least confirm it's not an overheating problem. All temperatures are fine. However I cannot say if it might be a voltage-related problem... this is just too fast for making ANY log with lm_sensors and everyting BEFORE the crash looks totally fine.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (29.7 KB, 66 views)
ZicoTheTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 02:53 AM   #2
poltsy

Default Re: VDPAU kills my machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZicoTheTux View Post
Oh - the best thing is:
Once when it reset, the PC went totally quiet - powered off. And it did not came up again for nearly 10 minutes. Pressing the Power button on the PC did NOT help - didn't do anything.... I needed to wait, and suddenly the machine powered up again.
Sounds like a funny power supply or perhaps the motherboard has suffered some battle damage along the way. Do the capacitors look like they're about to blow up by any chance?

VDPAU can't really stop your system from powering up properly, that's definitely something else.
poltsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 10:07 AM   #3
ZicoTheTux

Yeah basically I know VDPAU cannot keep the power down. Still it could be some kind of hickup in the PSU after being reset by some defect on the 9600 ... at least in the most unlikely theoretical case I can imagine ...

However I now also suspect it's the PSU itself... it's at least WAY more logical. While I am still totally baffled that Fullscreen toggling of a Video using VDPAU CAN cause this while Nexuiz runs great foor HOURS.

Still since disconnecting all optional Hardware I did not need for testing did not improve stability, I need to buy a more reliable PSU...

And I thought a 500W CHIEFTECH WAS reliable... for powering a simple 9600GT (and SATA HDD and DVD drive ... and the mainboard of course - but that is all the hardware I have here)...
Old 05-21-10, 08:41 AM   #4
ZicoTheTux

Okay, I am a bit confused now.

While I was waiting for response for the warranty, I was experimenting further. I almost did everything: BIOS update, looked for a VGA BIOS update (which I did not found), tried to reproduce the problem on Windows (which did not work) and last but not least I once again stumbled over the "If you have a stability problem, read this first" sticky.

Then I tried all options suggested in this thread - at least all, that applied to my configuration.
When I tried
Code:
idle=poll
I tried once again... and the PC did not crash. So I made the SAME test as shown in the video. I toggled Fullscreen for 87 times - then my finger began to hurt - but the PC did NOT restart anymore.

Now I am ashamed not to try this earlier, but I really do not understand why this helped. It still does not explain why my PSU sometimes fails to re-power up after a crash... and maybe this is a defect in the PSU... but... (sorry for the expression) WHAT THE FUNK?

I will continue testing ... see if I can get it to crash once again.

At least I have to rewire all my Hardware. Maybe this will drive the PSU nuts again...

EDIT: Every little piece of Hardware is connected agaon and all external devices as well. Video still causes no crashes...