30fps is not "silky smooth" is a ****ing jerk fest
industry standard lol
drewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 06:38 AM   #26
JohnDio

Default Re: Split Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The Force Unleashed for instance... the cap is fine, it feels perfectly smooth, but oh no it's a horribly PC port because of it no matter what anyone says.
For you perhaps. It ruined my gaming experience and the choppiness was all over the place (the same happened and with Overlord 1... at least Codemasters released a patch and removed the cap).

And simply LOL @ the gaming standard of 30fps. It's not standard, it's the minimum performance target for the current gen consoles (otherwise, well Stardust and WipeOut would also be at 30fps and would not be advertised for their ability to run at 60fps). 30fps in games hurt the eyes, I'm glad if someone can't tell the difference or can enjoy the games that way. And another LOL @ comparing games with movies fps
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 07:30 AM   #27
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
How can 30fps give you a headache? It is the industry standard, it is what the vast majority are playing the game at. I have heard that too HIGH a framerate can make someone nauseous, but I have never heard of 30fps doing it.

Force Unleashed played silky smooth, never drops from 30fps for me even with AA applied and it does not feel slow or sluggish at all. You're missing out.
30 fps isn't an industry standard for games? Its a standard for movies and there are tricks employed to trick the eye. If there should be an "industry" standard it should be at least 60 fps. I prefer to not have any cap on my games as it just bothers me and makes it jerky. Force Unleashed could've been a great game, the cap destroyed it for me though. Even the 90 fps cap in COD MW2 MP gave me a headache. At least with COD4 you could set your max fps.

The only reason there is a 30 fps cap for consoles is because most the time they are struggling to provide anything more. So the lack of horse power from a 360 now becomes a 30 FPS capped PC port which imo is an extremely lazy move. Once again, consoles are killing PC gaming.

30 fps on the 360 doesn't bother me but remember the refresh on a TV and monitor are completely different. Although, when the 360 chuggs I just want to LOL at what a POS it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 08:21 AM   #28
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
Prons usually run at 29.976
i was referring to progressive dvds and blu-rays.

some older dvds are still 29.97
Old 05-20-10, 10:48 AM   #29
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

I think you should play the game. It feels higher then 30FPS at least with my box it does.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 11:31 AM   #30
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
It is the industry standard,
For consoles due to power constraints.
Quote:
Force Unleashed played silky smooth, never drops from 30fps for me even with AA applied and it does not feel slow or sluggish at all. You're missing out.
Oh for pete's sake, FU is probably one of the worst examples. It definitely feels jerky to me, 30fps hurts the poor animation even moreso. Hell 30fps in that game stands out clear as day to me.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a game that's locked to 30fps, plenty of my games average 30fps as I usually like to play 1080p and have a low-end system. But when I want 60fps, I usually have the choice just to drop the resolution and get it, or at least close to it. It can make a huge difference in some games.

This may not be the game where it's required, but it just sucks that PC users don't have the option to have the game scale with their system. 60fps is always noticeably smoother and more responsive than 30fps, but it's nice to have the choice yourself to make the compromise.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 11:33 AM   #31
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post

30 fps on the 360 doesn't bother me but remember the refresh on a TV and monitor are completely different.
Not really - most PC users have LCD's with 60hz max through DVI, same as your typical LCD TV.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 11:50 AM   #32
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz Walsh View Post
For consoles due to power constraints.

Oh for pete's sake, FU is probably one of the worst examples. It definitely feels jerky to me, 30fps hurts the poor animation even moreso. Hell 30fps in that game stands out clear as day to me.
jerkiness in that game could be caused by something else.

for example when i had dual core intel Strangehold wasn't smoth because of lack of CPU power, going to OC'ed quad fixed that.

frame rate stayed about the same, but it was smooth then.

Old 05-20-10, 01:31 PM   #33
Ywap

30 fps is unacceptable in almost all games IMO. Add motion blur to the mix and you got yourself a motion sickness coctail.

A 30 fps cap is definitely a deal breaker for me.
Old 05-20-10, 03:18 PM   #34
|MaguS|

30fps can be done great without a laggy or slow look to it.

Old 05-21-10, 08:01 AM   #35
JohnDio

Videos can be deceiving. Take a look here. I was playing with 10-28fps due to FRAPS recording and you can clearly see that the movement is acceptable. Well, it is acceptable in the video, cause when i was playing i couldn't hit sh!t

JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 10:17 AM   #36
Ywap

Cone race was almost impossible for me in PGR due to the motion blur. I simply couldn´t see them.

Sadly it has become standard to "smooth" out jerky 30 fps with motion blur