Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-18-10, 10:55 AM   #73
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Starcraft 2 - JULY 27TH

Yeah I've been reading strats and watching videos but the reality is you don't get better unless you play more, and so far I've been pretty much ruthlessly slaughtered every game. I don't know if the game should have put me in bronze league but I pretty much get owned every game. I don't really enjoy the every-split-second-decision-counts aspect of the game because you never have even a moment to relax and consider your options, and one slip-up in timing costs you an entire game instantly. Mess up micro and you lose, mess up macro and you lose, fail to scout properly and you lose, fail to do all three at once flawlessly and you lose. As much as I enjoy the multiplayer game's premise, it's just far too high a learning curve and I don't have the desire to undergo the trial-by-fire that is SC2 multiplayer. I've watched platinum level replays and honestly I can't understand how a human being can play like that. I suppose at that point you've played hundreds of games and all hotkeys are simply muscle memory.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 11:10 AM   #74
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

won't even bother with sc2 mp
Old 05-18-10, 11:31 AM   #75
Zelda_fan

There are 5 levels. Copper Bronze Silver Gold and Plat. As long as you do things like scouting and building the basic counter to the what the enemy is building you should be able to win consistently in Silver league. Gold league it starts to get a lot tougher, but the thing is right now, you are playing against SC2 crack addicts. One the game is released and sells millions of copies, it won't be nearly this competitive in silver league. Honestly most of the people in the beta will probably make plat.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 12:49 PM   #76
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
Once the game is released and sells millions of copies, it won't be nearly this competitive in silver league. Honestly most of the people in the beta will probably make plat.
Yeah this is a good point. I'll definitely give it another chance at release. I mean, I'll still keep playing now because it's fun (and I don't lose EVERY game), but it'll be nice if/when I don't have to worry about my blood pressure each game.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 05:14 PM   #77
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I've been hanging around 5 to 10 in Copper and can't seem to get up to bronze. I don't think I'm bad at the game at all . . .

Maybe ill post some replays up tonight or tomorrow night for you guys.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 11:16 PM   #78
K007

Beta comes to an end on May 31st. After which it will be down for and be back up (probably be down for 2 weeks or so).

I think once its back up they will have the region locks/etc. So no more playing against USA folks...it's now playing against Asians.....so glad i don't play 2v2 -.-.

six you should post it up on teamliquid, people there will have a look and give you feedback on where you went wrong or what you should be doing/etc.

The HDH finals are going to be awesome too Idra vs WhiteRa, and Idra's game against Nooney after the Roach nerf was so amazing to watch.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 12:34 AM   #79
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

It's fun and all to get *that* much into a computer game. But as an adult with a high pressure job, a long term girlfriend, a new house and garden to maintain and a bachelor degree starting next semester, it would be crazy for me to devote the sort of time needed to be really good at this game. same goes for any game with extreme competition. At the end of the day, it's just a hobby and there is no reward at the end for being good at a computer game (unless you are really, really good), no one will care and the only satisfaction you will get you will only be able to keep to yourself or share with a bunch of guys on the internet that you've probably never met in real life.

at least if you play a team sport or something you get to make real life friends and your health benefits.

I guess I am just getting old
Old 05-19-10, 01:30 AM   #80
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
It's fun and all to get *that* much into a computer game. But as an adult with a high pressure job, a long term girlfriend, a new house and garden to maintain and a bachelor degree starting next semester, it would be crazy for me to devote the sort of time needed to be really good at this game. same goes for any game with extreme competition. At the end of the day, it's just a hobby and there is no reward at the end for being good at a computer game (unless you are really, really good), no one will care and the only satisfaction you will get you will only be able to keep to yourself or share with a bunch of guys on the internet that you've probably never met in real life.

at least if you play a team sport or something you get to make real life friends and your health benefits.
t
I guess I am just getting old
I stopped playing the beta two weeks ago for that exact reason. I was actually playing with my little brother and it was a lot of fun, but too much of a time investment to get really good at it. It stopped becoming a fun hobby for me, and I began to start wasting my time on it. That's when I just pull the plug and cool off for a while. Computer games are really addictive if you aren't careful.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-10, 02:28 AM   #81
K007

Patch 13 is out. A lot of changes, most of which...as usual don't make sense...and of course as usual Terran was buffed again lol.

The UI was changed, and the ladder now has Diamond,Platinum,God,Silver & Bronze as the leagues. Copper was removed.

The user names are now....silly as hell, you no longer have a identifier, but everyone can use say...Idra as their nick name...Good luck adding them!

Facebook has been integrated into it.....i think they need to kill this idea ><.
Old 05-22-10, 09:08 AM   #82
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
Patch 13 is out. A lot of changes, most of which...as usual don't make sense...and of course as usual Terran was buffed again lol.

The UI was changed, and the ladder now has Diamond,Platinum,God,Silver & Bronze as the leagues. Copper was removed.

The user names are now....silly as hell, you no longer have a identifier, but everyone can use say...Idra as their nick name...Good luck adding them!

Facebook has been integrated into it.....i think they need to kill this idea ><.
You forgot a few things:

No sounds in the UI.

HORRIBLE LAG.

Reset the database, which means everyone has to place again, which means I get put up against 5 pros and get raped. Not cool Blizz.

I think Terran is way over powered at this point. I hate playing PvT because I can never get a break.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 09:05 PM   #83
K007

the no sound in ui was already advised to us about a week ago regarding patch 13

also same for the database reset, it had to be done due to new league/etc.

and the lag.....wow just unplayable atm.
Old 05-23-10, 05:48 AM   #84
K007

lol finally the lag is down so decided to play my placement matches....and it decided i should go to Diamond League ...

Man so many people going cheese mode in the placement matches....Proxy Gate/Double Gate/Double Proxy Gate/Proxy Barrack/6 Pool(I don't know why people do 6 pool...it just doesn't work in ZvZ against 13 Pool).

Worst part is they only know the cheese part, after they fail on the cheese they don't know what to do next/etc...

Should always think what you want to build from the start to finish, can't just go...k i will Reaper him...then fingers cross i win ><...lol