Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-10, 07:48 AM   #13
lumpyhed
Are you ready?

Default Re: SEGA Genesis Classics Coming to PC

I was talking about the 2-3 quid dumps and emu combined releases that can already be played in a web browser. I already bought those games at full price on a japanese import megedrive. Now if they were to bring out Afterburner Climax or that new sonic game(perhaps they are?) to steam i will have my card at the ready..
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 06:49 PM   #14
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

I've tried playing these retro games before. it's rarely fun. you start off thinking "oh wow I used to love this game" and then when you actually start to play it you realise it has the most unresponsive controls imaginable, the collision detection is screwed and the pixel blobs make your eyes bleed.
Old 05-23-10, 08:11 PM   #15
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyhed View Post
I was talking about the 2-3 quid dumps and emu combined releases that can already be played in a web browser. I already bought those games at full price on a japanese import megedrive. Now if they were to bring out Afterburner Climax or that new sonic game(perhaps they are?) to steam i will have my card at the ready..
This...

I have a sega megadrive in my attic along with the 32X and mega CD...come to think of it, i have a SNES, Atari Jaguar, Panasonic 3D0, Saturn, N64, Gamecube, PS2 and a Xbox. Most of them do not work for some reason or another but i have a combined total of around 500 games for them.

FYI emulators are perfectly legal...however you must own the original game to have a ROM.... Silly...
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 08:13 PM   #16
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
FYI emulators are perfectly legal...however you must own the original game to have a ROM.... Silly...
Owning a rom is only legal if YOU dumped it, if you download a dump but own the cart it is still illegal.
Old 05-23-10, 08:19 PM   #17
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Owning a rom is only legal if YOU dumped it, if you download a dump but own the cart it is still illegal.

Good job i dumped every rom on my hard disk from the original carts/disks....*AHEM*
Old 05-23-10, 09:18 PM   #18
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Every time people talk about ROMs the one guy with a massive console game collection comes in to show everyone how ROMs are perfectly okay because he owns all the games.

This is rare. The vast majority of ROM users do not own the games, or own few of them.

I am not trying to be Mr. Moral about it, I have used ROMs, many of them for games I never owned. I justified it because there was nowhere to buy those games new where the publisher got a slice, so why does it matter? I did the same with PC games no longer for sale anywhere.

Thing is, the Wii came out and offered legal, publisher released downloads of all those games, which made my ROMs basically pirated copies again. If there is a way to buy the games that isn't old used copies, then you are stealing if you download them again. Same with the Lucasarts classics on Steam.

If you have the carts then yay for you, but anyone else should be buying these if they want to play them.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 09:45 PM   #19
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Every time people talk about ROMs the one guy with a massive console game collection comes in to show everyone how ROMs are perfectly okay because he owns all the games.

This is rare. The vast majority of ROM users do not own the games, or own few of them.

I am not trying to be Mr. Moral about it, I have used ROMs, many of them for games I never owned. I justified it because there was nowhere to buy those games new where the publisher got a slice, so why does it matter? I did the same with PC games no longer for sale anywhere.

Thing is, the Wii came out and offered legal, publisher released downloads of all those games, which made my ROMs basically pirated copies again. If there is a way to buy the games that isn't old used copies, then you are stealing if you download them again. Same with the Lucasarts classics on Steam.

If you have the carts then yay for you, but anyone else should be buying these if they want to play them.

you could always write SEGA a nice letter and see if they would mind if you emulated on of their games.
Old 05-23-10, 09:53 PM   #20
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Good job i dumped every rom on my hard disk from the original carts/disks....*AHEM*
What will be really funny is when some starts poking around and finds out they really just took someone's code for an EMU and grabbed someone's ROM dumps, then bundled it and are selling it for $3 a piece...
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-10, 10:42 PM   #21
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

there has never been a working daytona ROM right?
Old 05-24-10, 01:37 AM   #22
ViN86

Yea, let's not discuss ROM's at all. In the end, it is piracy, and we don't discuss that here. Even if you own the game, you're probably violating the DMCA.

Thanks.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 12:11 PM   #23
lumpyhed
Are you ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
What will be really funny is when some starts poking around and finds out they really just took someone's code for an EMU and grabbed someone's ROM dumps, then bundled it and are selling it for $3 a piece...
Yeah ID sorta managed this when they released their ID Super Pack on Steam and the old games were wrapped up with Dosbox without the devs of said app being informed of it. Twas awfully nice of em to then go and help ID out afterwards as not everything worked properly.
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 04:25 PM   #24
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yea, let's not discuss ROM's at all. In the end, it is piracy, and we don't discuss that here. Even if you own the game, you're probably violating the DMCA.

Thanks.
But its ok for folk to post God of War screenshots from a PS2 emulator in the screenshot thread.....

Good call :/

On topic...If these sega classics are not redone in HD then i would sooner stick pins in my eyes than pay for 20 year old games.