Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-10, 07:35 PM   #49
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior
 
Stoneyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kaplan, LA
Posts: 2,253
Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

After being scammed on my copy of Win 7, I've switched to Ubuntu on my laptop. It seems to be working well, but I'm totally new to linux so I'm not sure what optimizations and apps are recommended. Any must have/do?
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 03:13 AM   #50
Arup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 122
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneyguy View Post
After being scammed on my copy of Win 7, I've switched to Ubuntu on my laptop. It seems to be working well, but I'm totally new to linux so I'm not sure what optimizations and apps are recommended. Any must have/do?
Open Synaptic, enable partner repository, this will get you Sun Java, Skype and many more, also enable Medibuntu repository for codecs etc. Add Transmission PPA for keeping up with latest Transmission, add Pidgin PPA if you use that, also add Banshee PPA in case you use that. Finally add PPA for x from Ubuntu X developers, this will keep you updated to latest version of video drivers for you laptop.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 08:48 AM   #51
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior
 
Stoneyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kaplan, LA
Posts: 2,253
Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

thanks Arup, I see I have a lot of googling to do.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 05:59 PM   #52
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,338
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

not sure i totally agree with adding all these PPA's and installing so much extra stuff. Look around in ubuntu and see what's there before you go taking advice. Empathy will do IM, while some prefer Pidgin. i never used Pidgin in 10.04 because the thought of 2 IM programs installed bothered me alot. Also, find what pattern you are - meaning look at what you want to do on your PC and see what you need to install. For example, I have been using linux ubuntu since 8.04 and i have installed Java once. IT just doesnt come up, but it might for you, so think about what you normally do and install thigns according to that.

advice you will find is good as a guideline, but only install what you need.

I switched to lubuntu by the way becasue ubuntu gnome is a little heavy on my netbook.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 07:49 PM   #53
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
not sure i totally agree with adding all these PPA's and installing so much extra stuff. Look around in ubuntu and see what's there before you go taking advice. Empathy will do IM, while some prefer Pidgin. i never used Pidgin in 10.04 because the thought of 2 IM programs installed bothered me alot. Also, find what pattern you are - meaning look at what you want to do on your PC and see what you need to install. For example, I have been using linux ubuntu since 8.04 and i have installed Java once. IT just doesnt come up, but it might for you, so think about what you normally do and install thigns according to that..
Yeah. Don't bother installing third party repos unless you really do need the software. Sun-java comes in the ubuntu provided repos.

I personally don't like to install third party repos unless I cannot get that version any other way.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 09:51 PM   #54
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,338
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yeah. Don't bother installing third party repos unless you really do need the software. Sun-java comes in the ubuntu provided repos.

I personally don't like to install third party repos unless I cannot get that version any other way.
agreed. adding tons of crap just bloats linux anyway - defeating the purpose of using it.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 10:03 PM   #55
Arup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 122
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
not sure i totally agree with adding all these PPA's and installing so much extra stuff. Look around in ubuntu and see what's there before you go taking advice. Empathy will do IM, while some prefer Pidgin. i never used Pidgin in 10.04 because the thought of 2 IM programs installed bothered me alot. Also, find what pattern you are - meaning look at what you want to do on your PC and see what you need to install. For example, I have been using linux ubuntu since 8.04 and i have installed Java once. IT just doesnt come up, but it might for you, so think about what you normally do and install thigns according to that.

advice you will find is good as a guideline, but only install what you need.

I switched to lubuntu by the way becasue ubuntu gnome is a little heavy on my netbook.
Emphathy can't even do half of the stuff pidgin does and has a long way to go. The PPAs I recommended are from developers of the programs themselves. For instance Transmission is default and adding ppa would keep it latest. As for Pidgin and Banshee ppa, they are must in case you wish to use these programs and keep them up to latest. Finally the ppa for X is from Ubuntu developers and is the easiest way to stay current with nvidia driver which I assume the OP is running on. They are keeping the ppa current with latest drivers and had the 256 drivers within a day of their release. PPAs are needed to keep certain key aspect of the distro current, thats why we have driver, software updates in first place or relegate yourself running old, outdated and sometimes vulnerable programs for good.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 10:14 PM   #56
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

For some reason, I was not able to boot into Ubuntu today

My build, on a separate drive, for some reason simply won't boot up. Some kind of bootloader issue?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-10, 11:27 PM   #57
Arup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 122
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
For some reason, I was not able to boot into Ubuntu today

My build, on a separate drive, for some reason simply won't boot up. Some kind of bootloader issue?
Boot off the live CD and try fixing the installation.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 03:10 AM   #58
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

I guess

Btw, anyone know when Chrome will have live synching of extensions? That would make my life so much easier across all platforms
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 08:38 AM   #59
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,338
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I guess

Btw, anyone know when Chrome will have live synching of extensions? That would make my life so much easier across all platforms
what is the error? anything we can look at?

you mean chromium right?
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 08:41 AM   #60
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
For some reason, I was not able to boot into Ubuntu today

My build, on a separate drive, for some reason simply won't boot up. Some kind of bootloader issue?
What actually happens? If you press F2 or Esc to get to the bootloader and press e on the boot line and then take out quiet splash , press enter and press b to boot.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.