Retail 27 27.55%
Steam 71 72.45%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-10, 09:16 AM   #61
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Retail vs. Steam

The poll results and comments here really show how time changes everything... not too long ago online activation DRM was considered terrible and damn near protested against, now everyone loves it.

I wonder if Ubisoft's online at all times DRM will see a similar acceptance in a few years.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 10:34 AM   #62
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Steam... It's just plain easier to have every game connected to an account that can be downloaded from any computer at anytime. CD's and keys are a hassle to keep up with.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 10:41 AM   #63
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The poll results and comments here really show how time changes everything... not too long ago online activation DRM was considered terrible and damn near protested against, now everyone loves it.

I wonder if Ubisoft's online at all times DRM will see a similar acceptance in a few years.
See I don't see Steam as a form of DRM because I get a service from it. I use it as my regular chat client now. I even use the browser within the program while I play.

If Ubisoft created more of a service from their DRM rather then just a log on into their servers it would have been taken better by the public. Yes it backs up your saves but they designed that for DRM purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
CD's and keys are a hassle to keep up with.
Yup, I hate having game boxes taken up space and when I trash them I have to keep the manual around or the cd sleeve with the key. God forbit I were to misplace it making my game useless then.
Old 05-27-10, 10:49 AM   #64
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yup, I hate having game boxes taken up space and when I trash them I have to keep the manual around or the cd sleeve with the key. God forbit I were to misplace it making my game useless then.
it would be nice if they elimited, or somehow hid the cd-keys on steam

game is already tied into an account yet i still have to enter cd-key to play.
Old 05-27-10, 10:58 AM   #65
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
it would be nice if they elimited, or somehow hid the cd-keys on steam

game is already tied into an account yet i still have to enter cd-key to play.
Yeah thats an annoying function left over by an old system. They probably are foced to keep it seperate due to how the game is in retail (steam really doesn't change it much). Atleast most that have it display the key on screen when the game is on untill you hide it.
Old 05-27-10, 11:09 AM   #66
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
See I don't see Steam as a form of DRM because I get a service from it. I use it as my regular chat client now. I even use the browser within the program while I play.

If Ubisoft created more of a service from their DRM rather then just a log on into their servers it would have been taken better by the public. Yes it backs up your saves but they designed that for DRM purposes.
Well that's part of my point... when the idea of internet activation took off people acted like they would never accept it, but by hiding it within a chat program Valve has made it not only accepted but even enjoyed by the majority of users.

So my point is, will online all the time or streaming services get around the fact that most PC gamers are against it by hiding it within cool community features?

And on a side not, since you can use the Steam program and launch games from it whether you buy them there or not, I really don't understand why it is considered a reason to shop there. I can launch Battlefield BC2 from Steam and talk to you while playing whether I actually bought the game on Steam or not.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 05-27-10, 11:28 AM   #67
|MaguS|

Quote:
And on a side not, since you can use the Steam program and launch games from it whether you buy them there or not, I really don't understand why it is considered a reason to shop there. I can launch Battlefield BC2 from Steam and talk to you while playing whether I actually bought the game on Steam or not.
Because its not attached to steam. I would still require the CD to install and play. I bought BC2 from EA's Store, It's just the content of the CD. I have it saved to a folder in my Backup Drive.
Old 05-27-10, 02:00 PM   #68
LurkerLito

Quote:
Well that's part of my point... when the idea of internet activation took off people acted like they would never accept it, but by hiding it within a chat program Valve has made it not only accepted but even enjoyed by the majority of users.

So my point is, will online all the time or streaming services get around the fact that most PC gamers are against it by hiding it within cool community features?
IMO no. Internet activation was eventually accepted because it solved a problem a lot of people like myself had with retail games, the stupid disc in the drive to play. Steam was accepted not only for it's chat client, it was accepted because of it's convenience. You logged in or go to offline mode and your games are still available to play. Community features are good but a secondary to actually being able to play your purchased games as you want.

Online all the time DRM like Ubi's or streaming services fail the convenience factor. Not being able to play a game you bought just because your net connection went out or you're on a plane is a big problem. No features like cloud save games, chat, or achievements will fix that fundamental flaw. Streaming services are even worse especially in areas where people are limited in bandwidth by monthly caps or in the case of mobile devices possible roaming charges. Pricing is also a significant issue with streaming services. I don't know anyone who could justify paying full price for a non MMO game then also having to pay a monthly fee to be able to play it.

As far as the poll goes, I didn't answer because neither choice applies. For me my choice is always determined mainly by the DRM convenience. For a while now I have shunned retail when I hear "simple disc check" DRM, so I have been buying via digital distributors but not necessarily steam alone. While I like steam, I really dislike the constant need for them to infect otherwise DRM-Free elsewhere games with steam DRM. So I generally will buy those games (mainly indie) from other services.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-10, 07:30 PM   #69
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Because its not attached to steam. I would still require the CD to install and play. I bought BC2 from EA's Store, It's just the content of the CD. I have it saved to a folder in my Backup Drive.
Where you install from is irrelevant, I am saying the Steam UI and chat features are not a reason to buy games on Steam, as all games can use them.

Old 05-27-10, 08:06 PM   #70
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

I've got a few games on Steam that I've hit the activation limit for. You shouldn't have to deal with 3rd party DRM AND Steam - that just STEAMS me. If I could buy games on steam and not deal with 3rd party DRM I'b be happier. At least UBISOFT isnt limiting installs.

Another issue I have with steam is that some games aren't updated. For example Splinter Cell Double Agent - sure it was a mess but with the latest patches you can enabled HDR and AA and support for widescreen resolutions. However my copy through Steam isn't the latest and I can't enable HDR and AA nor does it support 1680!!?? WTF?? and if I try to install the latest patch it looks to install but when I run the game its still not patched up to the same as my retail copy...

and with Crysis on Steam they removed the whole 64 bit folder...nice

(I had bought it through Steam for a few bucks during a sale and wanted a copy on Steam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 08:54 PM   #71
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I vote Steam, cheaper, less clutter, easy patches.
cheaper probably deserves a bit more emphasis. Although the auto patching is very good as well, especially if you want to play an online game like COD4. I remember going back to cod 4 about a year after I last played it online and I spent half the day patching in sequential order. much easier just to fire up steam and wait.
Old 05-27-10, 09:41 PM   #72
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Most online games autopatch on their own now, in my experience.