Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-28-10, 09:16 PM   #25
|MaguS|

Default Re: Alpha Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Yes, but I doubt I would pick a soldier either, and I feel that a spy shouldn't be THAT bad with guns.
Lets not also judge by their playing, we all know they suck at games.
Old 05-28-10, 10:22 PM   #26
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

I saw the crosshairs when he first aimed... ain't no changing that. And heck, that is after dumping points into his AR skill :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 01:40 AM   #27
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Think of it as real life Hunt. Your character sucks as much as shooting as you would.

You might find an Infiltrator is better with pistols anyway, like Mass Effect, you should stick with pistols, on weaker enemies while building your AR.

Beagle bought me this for my BDay on Steam so I'll be playing sometime shortly, gotta finish Red Dead first.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 08:17 AM   #28
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Considering you would be doing alot of shooting and its all done in realtime as a shooter then it needs to be taken into consideration.
You don't have to shoot at all.

The game deserves at least a 7, even if you really can't get over some of it's flaws.

You really have to invest points into something, if you wanna use it.
For example stealth is hard in the beginning, but if you max it out, you can run around for 20sec completely invisible to other people and clean out whole rooms without setting off any alarms. Cameras and turrets can still see you though.

Pistols are for close quarter fights, but with enough points, you can one-shot almost anyone from a distance and you can also get the option to slow time and pick 2-6 targets and kill them all in one second. They are far from useless unlike the review says.

It is like that with probably any skill in the game. It feels useless at first, but it gets better to a point, when it feels overpowered.

Dialogs are great, reading intel or buying intel before a mission is fun. It's not necessary, but it helps a lot. You really feel like your decisions matter and that the story can end completely different.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 04:13 AM   #29
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Gametrailers.com has their review up and yeah... I still might get this, but I will wait until Steam has a deal on it which judging by the reviews... might be pretty quick. I can't even imagine how bad this must have been if they actually DELAYED it and it still plays like this.
Old 05-30-10, 04:52 AM   #30
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Yeah... just another rushed project from Obsidian. Nothing to see here folks.
Old 05-30-10, 02:48 PM   #31
crainger

Like Kotor II. ::
Old 05-30-10, 02:59 PM   #32
Vardant

KotOR II was missing pieces of the story and a proper ending. This game could have just used a bit more time to polish few things up. And maybe a proper reviewer, that knows the difference between a TPS with RPG elements and an RPG with third person view.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-10, 03:53 PM   #33
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

What gets me is why Alpha Protocol gets butchered for having stat-based shooting in an action-shooter style, while Fallout 3 was never marked down for it.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 05:24 PM   #34
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
What gets me is why Alpha Protocol gets butchered for having stat-based shooting in an action-shooter style, while Fallout 3 was never marked down for it.
Heh, I installed Fallout 3 a few days ago to see how it ran with my 4Ghz Core 2 Quad and GTX 470. After playing it for about a half hour, I quit and uninstalled it. That game just bugs the crap out of me. I seriously can't stand playing it for some reason.

/rant
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 05:49 PM   #35
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Thing about Fallout 3 is that its not 100% dependent on your accuracy. You can have lower stats and still headshot someone. Seems like in this game you can have the crosshair on the enemy and miss constantly... sounds like the depend on nothing but stats making the players accuracy worthless.

Man I love Fallout 3, I wish I could play it.
Old 05-31-10, 01:34 AM   #36
crainger

Yeah, it's a little annoying, but if you played and accepted the same sort of thing with Bloodlines, you'll be fine with Alpha. I'm putting it aside to play a few more games first, but I can't wait to start on this.