Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-10, 08:56 PM   #85
Arup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 122
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Nice, thanks.



And again.

EDIT: That site is fantastic for a guy at my experience level. Cheers Arup!

Enjoy, please do post back feedback of your experience.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 06:16 AM   #86
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
Enjoy, please do post back feedback of your experience.
Will do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 09:36 PM   #87
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Just ran some benches -



Heaven bench is about what I expected with no tessellation and running in OGL, pretty decent performance.

The Cinebench benches are running through Wine, again, not far from what I expected. I've also heard this isn't a totally reliable benchmark.

File transfer speeds are through the roof though, loving that, but my router is also giving me grief, so anything else requiring that will have to wait a bit.

Also, I've had this running and been using it quite a few hours since I installed it, and have had just one app crash on me. F-spot, which I'm not overly worried about.

All in all, still very happy with this OS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 10:08 PM   #88
Arup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 122
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Just ran some benches -



Heaven bench is about what I expected with no tessellation and running in OGL, pretty decent performance.

The Cinebench benches are running through Wine, again, not far from what I expected. I've also heard this isn't a totally reliable benchmark.

File transfer speeds are through the roof though, loving that, but my router is also giving me grief, so anything else requiring that will have to wait a bit.

Also, I've had this running and been using it quite a few hours since I installed it, and have had just one app crash on me. F-spot, which I'm not overly worried about.

All in all, still very happy with this OS.
Great feedback, did you add the ppa for x? Do you have a wireless router? Also install GIMP and you can give Shotwell a try, its supposed to be better than FSpot.
Arup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 05:04 AM   #89
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arup View Post
Great feedback, did you add the ppa for x? Do you have a wireless router? Also install GIMP and you can give Shotwell a try, its supposed to be better than FSpot.
No wireless - router is older than me though, which is really bad lol. It's due for retirement anyway.

GIMP is already there- they've brought it a long way. As far as an image viewer/manager etc, if you use one much try FastStone - runs fantastic under Wine.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 07:42 AM   #90
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04



Can't really ask for better than that for now.

Yeah, this is a keeper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 08:21 AM   #91
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,338
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post


Can't really ask for better than that for now.

Yeah, this is a keeper.
100% the reason why my house is either OSX or ubuntu. No Windows. No security holes. No problems.

I love to see you using ubuntu and liking it grey. I have been loving it too. Lubuntu on my netbook is the best I have ever used on a low resource PC.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 10:11 AM   #92
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
100% the reason why my house is either OSX or ubuntu. No Windows. No security holes. No problems.

I love to see you using ubuntu and liking it grey. I have been loving it too. Lubuntu on my netbook is the best I have ever used on a low resource PC.
I've gone with Debian stable for the most part, started with RH6 ages ago but this is actually the first Ubuntu release I've tried that I really feel like they've nailed it.

Add to that the fact that Wine is now head and shoulders above what it was 2-3 years ago ... lets just say I can't really find a reason to not make this my primary OS in the house.

Oh, did a bunch of reading up on Lubuntu - I'll be grabbing a couple more laptops, or a laptop and a netbook before years end and Lubuntu will be it for those.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-10, 10:18 AM   #93
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,338
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

lubuntu is so awesome. on my netbook, apps open faster than my 2.6 mac book pro. its blazing fast for a little intel atom
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 10:59 AM   #94
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
100% the reason why my house is either OSX or ubuntu. No Windows. No security holes. No problems.

I love to see you using ubuntu and liking it grey. I have been loving it too. Lubuntu on my netbook is the best I have ever used on a low resource PC.
While I like ubuntu, your comment is as misleading as they come.

I am using Windows for this scan, notice anything? Oh yah, no holes either. How miraculous

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stealth.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	40426  
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 11:04 AM   #95
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

That test was meant for XP back in the day and it's old. Any modern OS should pass that. Microsoft tightened up their security just by doing simple things. Linux never had this issue because it has a good iptable set and no root(admin) privileged by default. Fedora comes with SELinux as default which can limit the damage done if your get cracked. I think Ubuntu uses Appamour which is similar to SELinux but more easier to setup and not so tight.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 11:09 AM   #96
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

The point was, the majority of vulnerabilities are the fault of users and any OS is exploitable.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.