Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-10, 12:18 PM   #97
Sean_W

Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
The point was, the majority of vulnerabilities are the fault of users and any OS is exploitable.
True but both OS X and Windows are much bigger targets.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 12:45 PM   #98
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
The point was, the majority of vulnerabilities are the fault of users and any OS is exploitable.
True, which is my main concern. I just don't go to sites/click on any brightly flashing object etc.

My girls and their friends on the house computer however....They make malwarebytes cry like a little girl.
Old 06-06-10, 01:46 PM   #99
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
True, which is my main concern. I just don't go to sites/click on any brightly flashing object etc.

My girls and their friends on the house computer however....They make malwarebytes cry like a little girl.
Lol. I've always wanted to get the wifey on Ubuntu but fortunately ill be getting her a Macbook Pro soon! Ill be getting her old laptop (which is an upgrade from my crappy work issued lappy) and guess what will be going on there?

Its not like the wifey clicks on any and everything. She has maybe had 1 virus but nothing that i had to really work on for a long time.

I'm reinstalling Ubuntu on my desktop right now.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 01:54 PM   #100
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Lol. I've always wanted to get the wifey on Ubuntu but fortunately ill be getting her a Macbook Pro soon! Ill be getting her old laptop (which is an upgrade from my crappy work issued lappy) and guess what will be going on there?

Its not like the wifey clicks on any and everything. She has maybe had 1 virus but nothing that i had to really work on for a long time.

I'm reinstalling Ubuntu on my desktop right now.
My girls have one rule.

Pretty/flashy/shiney = teh funz!

Not for me it doesn't..grrrrr.
Old 06-06-10, 02:09 PM   #101
Sean_W

This is a pretty good site for Ubuntu users http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/

There are lots of goodies as well.
Old 06-06-10, 03:32 PM   #102
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
My girls have one rule.

Pretty/flashy/shiney = teh funz!

Not for me it doesn't..grrrrr.
My clients at work have the same rule! How odd!

Just got done installing/updating/editing Ubuntu on my desktop and I'm just blazing when it comes to just about anything.

I did want to share my little software checklist with you guys. This is the checklist I've had since late 06 and it's still not completely checked off:

* Microsoft Office - Check. I haven't read up about Office 2010 yet but I'm sure it's in the works. 2007 will do for now if I have to.

* Adobe Photoshop CS3 - Not checked. I'm a PS addict and if I have to edit pics, I use it because I think I'm pretty good at it. I can get stuff done quick too.

* Gaming - I'm trying real hard to lay low on the gaming stuff for a while. I recently realized how much time I'm wasting playing games, but I'm not going to quit cold turkey. I still want to enjoy some of my games.

* Compatibility with my iPod Touch - Non checked. Songbird used to play nice until the plug-in devs quit working on it. Any hints?

I've still got some customization I want to. I'll post a screenie later.
Old 06-06-10, 03:48 PM   #103
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
My clients at work have the same rule! How odd!

Just got done installing/updating/editing Ubuntu on my desktop and I'm just blazing when it comes to just about anything.

I did want to share my little software checklist with you guys. This is the checklist I've had since late 06 and it's still not completely checked off:

* Microsoft Office - Check. I haven't read up about Office 2010 yet but I'm sure it's in the works. 2007 will do for now if I have to.

* Adobe Photoshop CS3 - Not checked. I'm a PS addict and if I have to edit pics, I use it because I think I'm pretty good at it. I can get stuff done quick too.

* Gaming - I'm trying real hard to lay low on the gaming stuff for a while. I recently realized how much time I'm wasting playing games, but I'm not going to quit cold turkey. I still want to enjoy some of my games.

* Compatibility with my iPod Touch - Non checked. Songbird used to play nice until the plug-in devs quit working on it. Any hints?

I've still got some customization I want to. I'll post a screenie later.
Try The GIMP or if you really need to, PS CS2 will work just fine using WINE. You might want to try Banshee in regard to your iPod.
Old 06-06-10, 03:58 PM   #104
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Try The GIMP or if you really need to, PS CS2 will work just fine using WINE. You might want to try Banshee in regard to your iPod.
GIMP is ok, I guess I'm just used to PS. I've got CS3 but I'll have to dig around for CS2.

Banshee is still around? I'll have to check it out.

Old 06-06-10, 04:35 PM   #105
Sean_W

Rhythmbox doesn't pick up your iPod?

I got CS2 working in WINE ages ago, Oct 2008. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhFQhv54tYw

If all else fails, just use Virtualbox and install Windows in it.
Old 06-06-10, 05:17 PM   #106
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Rhythmbox doesn't pick up your iPod?

I got CS2 working in WINE ages ago, Oct 2008. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhFQhv54tYw

If all else fails, just use Virtualbox and install Windows in it.
RB wouldn't transfer my music at all but that was with 10.04 beta. Maybe the latest updates will fix it.

In the past, I've had an XP VM with CS3 installed. May just do that for now.

I've been playing Guild Wars for a little bit on Ubuntu. Runs great!

Old 06-06-10, 07:11 PM   #107
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

good job man. love seeing GW running.

as for your list. parts of that are fixed in some ways with ubuntu, just depends on how far you can get from your windows dependancy.

gaming - cant help that. it is what it is.

PS - you can either use PS2 or VMWare and use Unity mode and have it be skinned in windows VM to look like ubuntu.

i hate ipods.

Office works 100% with Crossover Linux and i can even offer you a lisence for it since i have an extra.

Get away from windows.

i agree most problems are user related but there is a peace of mind, for a computer guy at home, to know that when m y wifey is using her PC - nothing is infecting it. be it OSX or ubuntu, i dont have to fret about "whats this thing popping up with Windows starts" and stuff like that. I dont have to care about 10000 windows updates. or.. the dreaded "i want to print off these coupons" type stuff. It's true i have a Windows XP and Windows 7 VM, but they sit dormant most of the time unless I 100% cannot find a way to accomplish something in osx. hell, i even have a ubuntu VM that i will use first before I power on a windows VM.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 08:05 PM   #108
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
good job man. love seeing GW running.

as for your list. parts of that are fixed in some ways with ubuntu, just depends on how far you can get from your windows dependancy.

gaming - cant help that. it is what it is.

PS - you can either use PS2 or VMWare and use Unity mode and have it be skinned in windows VM to look like ubuntu.

i hate ipods.

Office works 100% with Crossover Linux and i can even offer you a lisence for it since i have an extra.

Get away from windows.

i agree most problems are user related but there is a peace of mind, for a computer guy at home, to know that when m y wifey is using her PC - nothing is infecting it. be it OSX or ubuntu, i dont have to fret about "whats this thing popping up with Windows starts" and stuff like that. I dont have to care about 10000 windows updates. or.. the dreaded "i want to print off these coupons" type stuff. It's true i have a Windows XP and Windows 7 VM, but they sit dormant most of the time unless I 100% cannot find a way to accomplish something in osx. hell, i even have a ubuntu VM that i will use first before I power on a windows VM.
LOL. Ubuntu still has a ton of updates remember?

I really can't wait until the wife has her Macbook Pro. Her friend got one and the wife loves it.