Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-10, 09:09 PM   #1
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default COD4 MP, GTX 480 super hitch.

I've been having problems with this hitch in some games with the GTX 480. I've mentioned it a few times around here. Tonight I installed COD 4 and tried some MP. it was to be quite honest awful. Hitching all over the place. Took off all overclocks, disabled NIC, sound, etc. No matter what COD4 MP suffers from really bad hitching with GTX 480. I'm getting to the end of my patience with this card. Its really starting to remind me of my 9800 GX2. Anyone else playing COD4 anymore? If you are let me know what you think of the GTX 480 with it. My 280 GTX and HD5870 ran it great.

RESOLVED Punkbuster heart beat causing the hitch. No fix currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 09:23 PM   #2
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: COD4 MP, GTX 480 super hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
Smooth for me
Wtf??? I'm about ready to just return this and go back to a HD5870. I have no idea why this thing is such a POS for me. I just tried some other bioses for my motherboard... nothing, it still hitches like a mofo.

Im only running it at 1680x1050, everything max in game, 4x AA, vsync off.

Quote:
Old 06-06-10, 10:24 PM   #3
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
can you do a game video with fraps overlay and post it
Its not the fps, the performance is super high. But I get this micro hitch in so many games like the old 9800gx2 had. It just ruins the game experience. I even broke 26,000 in vantage last night with a single GTX 480 so I dont know if its the drivers or what. I had all the same parts running with a HD5870 and had no problems with it at all. But I sold it for what I paid and moved "up" to this. This has been nothing but crap game experience. It benchmarks great but I'm not happy with the perception of games since nothing feels smooth with it.

I don't know if its the P55 chipset or a driver that the Nvidia drivers dont like playing with and at this point I'm troubleshot out I've tried everything. I had my HD5870 on water with unisink and everything I'd hate to have to re-buy all that stuff now.

Quote:
Old 06-06-10, 10:30 PM   #4
Rummy

Are you sure it's not the PB hearbeats.
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 10:35 PM   #5
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
Are you sure it's not the PB hearbeats.
I dunno, whats that?

Quote:
Old 06-06-10, 10:43 PM   #6
Rummy

When I first enter a sever my game will hitch for a few seconds I think it is the pb service running the files for cheats.

I have actually been playing COD 4 the last couple of days and the only issue I have is getting kicked when running afterburner in the background on a few servers.
Old 06-06-10, 10:48 PM   #7
|MaguS|

no clue, every game I have played is great for me. How did you clean your system after you removed the ATI Drivers?
Old 06-06-10, 10:49 PM   #8
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Yeah, Punkbuster really doesn't like Overlays and stuff. Even the overlay from Steam caused problems with it for a while, but I haven't played it since those days.

The only other problem it could be is Drivers. May have a micro-stutter problem for COD4, but other games is fine.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-10, 10:50 PM   #9
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
When I first enter a sever my game will hitch for a few seconds I think it is the pb service running the files for cheats.

I have actually been playing COD 4 the last couple of days and the only issue I have is getting kicked when running afterburner in the background on a few servers.

Geezus. So I disabled PB in COD4, started a server in downpour (same as I have been for testing) and its butter. WTF!! No wonder I've had issues... BF BC2 uses PB too. Stupid azz PB, you gotta be kidding me.

Thanks much!!!! That was it 110% in COD4. Now I've gotta go back and see how many other games I was playing used PB, but I bet its a bunch. So is there any "fix" for this??

EDIT COD MW2 MP was choppy too - I bet its PB on that game as well.

Quote:
Old 06-06-10, 10:51 PM   #10
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
no clue, every game I have played is great for me. How did you clean your system after you removed the ATI Drivers?
lol I've reformatted 2-3 times since I had the HD5870 in there. No ATI drivers on any of my installs with the GTX 480. I never cross GPUs in my OS.

Quote:
Old 06-06-10, 11:14 PM   #11
Rummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Geezus. So I disabled PB in COD4, started a server in downpour (same as I have been for testing) and its butter. WTF!! No wonder I've had issues... BF BC2 uses PB too. Stupid azz PB, you gotta be kidding me.

Thanks much!!!! That was it 110% in COD4. Now I've gotta go back and see how many other games I was playing used PB, but I bet its a bunch. So is there any "fix" for this??

EDIT COD MW2 MP was choppy too - I bet its PB on that game as well.
MW2 uses VAC so no fix there, sorry. However MW2 has been very laggy for me I have not played it in a few weeks.
Old 06-07-10, 06:51 AM   #12
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

So for those that claimed they aren't seeing it... now that I know what was causing it I googled and sure enough alot of people are reporting the same problems. Looks like it may be the cause for some of the BF BC2 stutter and its reportedly gotten worse in the latest version of pb. http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...buster+stutter

I think you guys need your eyes checked lol. Probably the same people that claimed to never see micro stutter too. This is kind of funny though, pb causes this stutter for a lot of people due to the way it works with the heartbeat thing, even balance even mentions changing settings in their FAQ for this.

Now when other people claim not to see it or report the game as being butter smooth you've gotta wonder why. Do some people really not see this stutter from it? Are they just saying they aren't seeing it?

This is right from the FAQ. I love the last one "Replace your memory or GPU might fix it too", lmao.

My computer locks up or "chugs" sometimes while I'm playing with PunkBuster Enabled, what can cause this?

PunkBuster "pushes" hardware and the Windows Operating System more than most software and uses functions in the Windows API (low level functions) that aren't used by most other programs. As such, there are a few cases where using PB can actually expose flaky hardware or other situations that don't cause problems for other software. Here are a few things that have helped other users make these problems get better or go away completely:

- Make sure you are using the latest version of PunkBuster (the latest version is always on our Download page) - also this link may help manually update your PB to the latest version when necessary
- From the game's main screen, press the tilde key (the ~ key) to bring down the console and enter the following line (without the quotes): "/pb_system 1".
Never close other programs from your Windows Task Manager before playing the game, either leave them running or close them through the proper interface - killing a process doesn't always work completely even if it stops showing in the Task Manager and renegade threads seem to conflict with PB more than other programs that may be running in memory. There is a free utility that some players use called EndItAll to close all extra programs before they play to avoid software conflicts, crashes and lockups. You can get it from here.
- Check the add/remove programs list in your Control Panel and uninstall any programs that you don't use or that you don't know what they are.
- One program that seems to conflict with PB more than others is Norton Anti-Virus. If you have it installed, try uninstalling it to see if the lockups go away. Some players have reported that when this is the culprit, they can reinstall Norton Anti-Virus and the lockups don't come back.
- Other background programs that seem to conflict with PB for some users are Sound Blaster Live software and helper programs that come with video cards (especially ATI keyboard shortcut programs).
- Some players discovered that they had a computer virus and that the lockups vanished after it was fully removed.
- Experiment with the pb_sleep setting ... try setting it to 20, 250, or 500 to see if that affects your game performance. A few players have reported that all the problems go away when they "tweak" this setting.
- In extreme cases, a few users have reported that replacing their RAM (memory) or video/sound cards fixed the problem.

http://punkbuster.com/index.php?page=faq-cod4.php

Quote: