Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Vote!
Retail 27 27.55%
Steam 71 72.45%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-10, 05:51 PM   #97
Scendore

Default Re: Retail vs. Steam

I certainly love how religion and games clashÖ What a complete waste of time. Pretty simple stuff. If you donít like something because of your religion donít consume it.
Scendore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 10:10 PM   #98
RAMChYLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scendore View Post
If you donít like something because of your religion donít consume it.
I totally agree on your stance. But sadly, these overzealous nutters are everywhere and can be found all over the world.
  • "Edison" - Phenom II X4 925 AM3 (Deneb), M4N98TD-EVO (nForce980a SLI), ENGTS450 DirectCU 1GB (GeForce GTS450) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, 8GB DDR3-1600
  • "Sally" - Athlon64 x2 5000+ AM2 (Brisbane), M4N72-E (nForce750a SLI), ENGTS250 Dark Knight 1GB (GeForce GTS250) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, 4GB DDR2-1066
  • "Dongwa" - Phenom II X4 945 AM3 (Deneb), M4N75TD (nForce750a SLI), ENGTX260-216SP 896MB (GeForce GTX260 216SP) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, 8GB DDR3-1600
  • "Helen" - Athlon64 x2 6400+ AM2 (Windsor), M4N78 Pro (GeForce8300), ENGT520 1GB (GeForce GT520), integrated GeForce8300, AuzenTech Prelude X-Fi, 4GB DDR2-1066.
  • "Clementine" - Athlon64 x2 3800+ AM2 (Windsor), TF560A2+ (nForce560), V8402GL26 (GeForce 8400GS), SoundBlaster Live! 5.1, Sonnet Allegro FW400 PCIe, 2GB DDR2-800
RAMChYLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 01:03 AM   #99
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Retail if possible, but will always go STEAM if it's cheaper than retail (like on steam weekend deals or something...christmas deals were great).
Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition @ 4.00GHz, 2.94GHz uncore| Corsair H60 | ASUS P6X58D-E | Zotac GTX 580 @ 872/1744/2145|Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB (Games/Steam)| Seagate 1.5TB (media/misc.) |Seagate 1 TB (OS/Main) | 24 GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1.5V DDR3-1333 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD 202 Headset | Dual Gigabit Realtek LAN | Antec True Power Quattro 1200W | Acer G235Hbmbd 23" LCD Display | Logitech K320 Wireless Keyboard | Logitech Performance MX Mouse
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 11:28 AM   #100
Kain

For those who like Steam, what happens if Steam dies? What will happen to all of your games?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 02:41 PM   #101
onmikesline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
For those who like Steam, what happens if Steam dies? What will happen to all of your games?
what will happen if there a fire in your house and you lost all your retail games? or someone took them from you. your SOL
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 02:51 PM   #102
Bearclaw

Old 06-06-10, 02:58 PM   #103
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
The common line seems to be "who cares about that far in the future," which is kind of sad. Most people probably don't play games that old though, like I do.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 03:34 PM   #104
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The common line seems to be "who cares about that far in the future," which is kind of sad. Most people probably don't play games that old though, like I do.
I don't expect Steam to die anytime soon, so I DON'T CARE. It's more common for old games just not to work due to incompatibility then steam dying. Even if Valve stopped making games, Steam would continue to go on because it has become a seperate entity.

Old 06-06-10, 04:28 PM   #105
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I don't expect Steam to die anytime soon, so I DON'T CARE. It's more common for old games just not to work due to incompatibility then steam dying. Even if Valve stopped making games, Steam would continue to go on because it has become a seperate entity.
You don't know any of that though... who could have predicted at the height of their era that Sierra would die within 10 years? I'm not saying it is likely, but acting like Valve cannot fail in the next 20 years or more is just silly.

And you know old games that cannot play on a modern system are extremely rare Magus... I know of one or two, tops.

Despite that though, worrying about Steam closing down someday is not really the reason I turned against it. The main reason is simple: buy a retail product and you control your access to the game and when and how you play it. Buy a Steam product and Valve control your access to the game and when and how you play it. That makes the retail version much, much more valuable to me, and it's cheaper most of the time, which makes it an easy decision.

People give away their control over their game collections to Valve for the convenience of Steam, and I don't think it is worth it.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 06-07-10, 04:55 AM   #106
Buio

Steam dying with all games going poof is highly unlikely. What is somewhat more probable is a buyout or takeover of some sort. If that happens the most likely event is that the buyer keeps the catalogue, because it's in the interest of the buyer. A potential buyer might be a company like Microsoft (who's GFWL is pretty pathetic so far). But I think they will buy a smaller one, like GamersGate or Impulse. Anyway, I do believe that we will see some kind of merger outside Steam fairly soon.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 05:36 AM   #107
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

It's very possible it will shut down someday... actually, it's almost a guarantee it will at some point, it is not going to last forever.

More importantly though, it could change... online all the time, limited access, pay-to-play, who knows. The point is Valve, or whoever else comes to control it, has the complete authority and ability to control your entire game collection, which is not a collection of products what-so-ever, but a list of access checkmarks on an account. They control your games, not you... you have no games actually, you just have an account they can take away or modify on a whim.

It's just not appealing to me anymore, even if they never do anything "wrong" with it. I just don't support the fundamental idea of entertainment as a service, I like to own things.

Old 06-07-10, 07:09 AM   #108
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMChYLD View Post
I totally agree on your stance. But sadly, these overzealous nutters are everywhere and can be found all over the world.
true, but when religion can influence politics then it gets really bad.