Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-10, 03:47 AM   #25
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Default Re: Crysis 2 Beta

Quote:
Those dx10 effects was not locked, but were not supported on dx9 hardware. Were talking about only minor graphical aspects:
Soft particles, object based motion blur and something more which i can't remember. Apart from those, there was no difference in the graphics when running crysis in DX10@Vh and running dx9 with the "veryhigh tweak" by altering some cvar config files.
They are purposely locked, and we all know why
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 10:38 AM   #26
JohnDio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetdjuret View Post
Those dx10 effects was not locked, but were not supported on dx9 hardware. Were talking about only minor graphical aspects:
Soft particles, object based motion blur and something more which i can't remember.
Soft particles were supported in DX9 (with the very high tweaks). Only object based motion blur was not compatible
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 11:07 AM   #27
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
And it was horrible to watch. Not because of the visuals but because of the way the character moved and looked around. It looked painful to play.
I like that "robotic" console movement somehow. I can slowly look around without any twitch movement etc, its very atmospheric in a "cinematic" way.
And btw... I can bet that You would not be able to differ mouse vs skilled console player. I absolutly couldnt belive how my buddy was playing Timeshift on 360.

It also depends on how analog movement is implemented. While some games plays very intuitive (like Gears of War2 where movement is very fluid and responsive) ,some other games are sluggish and robotic as hell. It all depends how they will implement it.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 11:18 AM   #28
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
They are purposely locked, and we all know why
They wasn't locked, dx10 effects isn't supported on dx9 cards and cant be enabled. The veryhigh settings however was unappliable from the ingame options menu but could be achieved with minor tweaks. And the VH settings was disabled for dx9 cards for no good reasons, purposely for nvidia to earn money on the new dx10 cards just released along when crysis shipped. A pretty unfair move if you ask me as some of the dx9 cards, when used in SLI or crossfire was just as fast or faster than the new dx10 G80 cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDio View Post
Soft particles were supported in DX9 (with the very high tweaks). Only object based motion blur was not compatible
According to my understanding the soft particles which allows smoke etc to move fluently though objects is a dx10 only effect, just like in bioshock. Do you have any source for your statement?
Old 06-13-10, 02:16 PM   #29
JohnDio

Quote:
According to my understanding the soft particles which allows smoke etc to move fluently though objects is a dx10 only effect, just like in bioshock. Do you have any source for your statement?
Even COD2 had soft particles (and FEAR2 and some other games that are DX9 only but can't remember them right now)

You can notice the soft particles in my previous Crysis shots if you search the screenshot thread (don't want to flood this thread with Crysis shots). Furthermore:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_7.html (pay attention that soft particles are disabled ONLY if you select LOW settings)

Quote:
■Low: Aside from even less richness in particle effects, soft particles are disabled, meaning that particle effects such as smoke will show unrealistic hard edges where they meet solid objects.

Generally speaking, it's easy to witness the soft particles in Crysis. Run it in DX9 with high Particles and throw a grenade to see them. The funny thing is that if you search the net, you will find a lot of guys that know sh!t. Some even call the ocean waves a DX10 feature, which is not (you can enable ocean waves, wind physics, soft particles and sun rays through the CVar's. Only object motion blur has bugs when enabled, thus it is recommended to have it disabled)

*******Edit

Here are two screenies from DX9. You can easily notice the soft particles

Old 06-13-10, 02:28 PM   #30
newparad1gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
And btw... I can bet that You would not be able to differ mouse vs skilled console player. I absolutly couldnt belive how my buddy was playing Timeshift on 360.

Hahaha, then I wonder why in Shadowrun, the only game in recent memory that allowed console players to play PC players, they had to gimp the mouse controls for PC players in order to make the multiplayer fair for the poor consolers on analog sticks.

Controllers work for certain genres of games, but for FPS and RTS, they definitely do not.
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 09:55 PM   #31
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

@John you obviously don't know what type of effect were talking about here when it comes to the particles. Soft particles means that they go smoothly through objects and doesn't "cut" in an ugly way. I assure you, the soft particles is dx10 and 11 only. U are talking that the particles look soft and realistic when they appear but thats not what this is about...

This is what i mean;

Old 06-14-10, 02:29 AM   #32
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

I believe John is correct. I did a little researching and soft particles's not DX10 effect only. Almost all DX10 effect's possible in DX9. Just as long they have access to the depth buffer, even in any API like OpenGL. For a second opinion, I asked a friend of mine who is a programmer at Microsoft and he said it's possible. He said you can do deferred shading in DX9 and OpenGL which means you can fake depth buffering.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-10, 03:22 AM   #33
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

WEll sunny boi, thats outta ma lead...
Old 06-14-10, 05:15 AM   #34
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
They wasn't locked, dx10 effects isn't supported on dx9 cards and cant be enabled. The veryhigh settings however was unappliable from the ingame options menu but could be achieved with minor tweaks. And the VH settings was disabled for dx9 cards for no good reasons, purposely for nvidia to earn money on the new dx10 cards just released along when crysis shipped. A pretty unfair move if you ask me as some of the dx9 cards, when used in SLI or crossfire was just as fast or faster than the new dx10 G80 cards.

Those effects are, were, disabled because of Vista BS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 07:44 AM   #35
JohnDio

Soet i know what soft particles are . And you can see there are no lines in my pictures when the smoke "touches" the objects. Soft particles are supported in DX9 and even COD2 had them too. Seriously, it is not a DX10-11 feature

http://www.spotlightingnews.com/article.php?news=841

Quote:
"Thanks to the new Call of Duty 2 engine, the title makes extensive use of advanced vertex and pixel shader technology to create stunning special effects such as soft shadows, heat distortion, and soft particles to achieve amazing realism," said Bill Rehbock, director of developer relations at NVIDIA.